Oh Sammy Sammy

Has to be our new centre half partner to Lees.

Centre half was where he learned his trade at Chelsea - touted as the the next John Terry.

Distribution from the back would be so much better then it is now.

Very pacey.

So much less demanding on his body - may even get a full season out of him.

I am sure he would buy into this.

The answer lies within.

3 minutes ago, modboy said:

Is he tall enough to partner Lees? At times we have looked a bit short without Loovens imo

Class player though 

Timing and reading sort that out.

How tall was Cannavaro? 5"8  , 5"9 something like that.  

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Timing and reading sort that out.

How tall was Cannavaro? 5"8  , 5"9 something like that.  

But who did he play next to? Again don't know. Can see it being him or Tom though 

Best position is centre half, he was pushed back into CM because we failed to sign the midfielder we needed, if that gets addressed in the summer I would play him centre back. 

I rate him in midfield but spends most time as a third centre back which doesn't help our play 

Just now, oldishowl said:

We tried it this season 

We couldn't defend set pieces without Loovens. 

You need a 6'4 beast , afraid there is no getting away from it 

That's my thoughts too, especially in the championship

We could try signing a left footed  6'4" beast then and play a back 3.

Lees Hutch Beast. With Loovens as cover.

Not much different to what we do most of the time anyhow when the full backs push forward.

10 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

It was that Nesta, who was another I don't think can have been much over 6"0 himself. 

Size means nothing in Italian football, they all grow up learning how to play that defensive role perfectly and not relying on physicality, they are far superior to any English defender, light years ahead tactically & footballing ability wise - can't apply those concepts to the Championship. 

As much as we need to replace Loovens I don't think Hutchinson is the answer long term. We seriously miss Loovens height and strength at the back when he doesn't play, I think Hutchinson could do a job there in a back 3 perhaps but i'd rather see us sign a younger, stronger, taller CB - according to wiki'

Hutchinson 5'11

Lees 6'1

Loovens 6'3

When you look at the rest of our side being pretty small as well, having only one outfield player above 6 ft would make us very vulnerable at set piece plays and the classic hoofball tactic..which happen to be many Championship sides speciality. 

7 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Size means nothing in Italian football, they all grow up learning how to play that defensive role perfectly and not relying on physicality, 

Crikey! They had plenty of physicality in the 60's and 70's. Achillies rakes, eye gauging, off ball elbows, the two footed ankle breaker, the nut to the back of the head!

I know what you mean though about the culture of defending. 

We've tried it and it didn't work. 

He's good cover for central defence but we need a top class player who is known for playing that position. 

Sweet Christmas... We've needed a central defender and midfield beast for over a year and still not bloody sorted it. Makes me rage when I think about the money spunked on squad players who contribute nothing when we have glaring gaps in the squad for over a full year. 

I thought he was excellent at CB earlier in the season and him and Lees would be great. Thing I like about Sam when he drops in between Lees and Loovens at present is he immediately ups the tempo and has an excellent long range pass. Only reason I think he was pushed back into midfield is because David Jones was not the answer at holding midfielder and couldn't tackle for toffee.