Gordon Watson

Gordon Watson is entitled to his opinion like anyone.

I personally don't think he ever achieved enough or played consistently at a high enough level to pass comment, but that's just my opinion.

He did once sit next to me in the 90's in the north stand however.    The chubster took up more than the normal seat.   Good job I was slight of figure back then.

Personally thought Watson sounded like he knew f*ck all. 

Came across as a bitter ex-pro who has barely watched us this season. 

Suggestion that the vast majority of our players are "bottom half" Championship ones? 

This being the same group of players who finished in the top 6 two seasons running? 

Nonsense. 

He has a point in recruiting premiership quality players. 

If we do this then we will get promoted.

Either Lee, Hutchinson or Bannan needs to be sold and we need a boss/governor in the middle.  This may actually be Abdi, who knows.

He has a point in Rhodes. I won't personally have a go at him (try not to), but we need strikers with a selfish mentally of wanting to score ALL the goals, pens, a bit like FF is tbh.

He needs to be ruthless. Could you imagine Jermain Defoe passing up on a pen in the biggest game of the season? 

If Rhodes sorts this out he will be successful with us. 

42 minutes ago, salmonbones said:

Gordon Watson is entitled to his opinion like anyone.

I personally don't think he ever achieved enough or played consistently at a high enough level to pass comment, but that's just my opinion.

He did once sit next to me in the 90's in the north stand however.    The chubster took up more than the normal seat.   Good job I was slight of figure back then.

So you say he's entitled to his opinion, but in your opinion his opinion is invalid because he's not played at a high enough level. Weird. 

We may as well shut this site down then.

35 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Personally thought Watson sounded like he knew f*ck all. 

Came across as a bitter ex-pro who has barely watched us this season. 

Suggestion that the vast majority of our players are "bottom half" Championship ones? 

This being the same group of players who finished in the top 6 two seasons running? 

Nonsense. 

Gordon Watson sounded like a bit of a berk in all honesty and there's no doubt Rob couldn't wait to interview him having obviously pre-checked his opinion on the Rhodes situation, something which he's gleefully fanning the flames on. He'll probably try and give Kim Olsen a ring next if he wants to wade in on Rhodes. 

That said, aside from the 'bottom half' and Rhodes comments which I didn't agree with him on, he did say we needed 2 centre backs, 1 left back, 1 holding midfielder who can link up the play (not just a stopper like Semedo or someone of that ilk) and 2 new wingers. This I agree with him on and I think most of us would, I'd add a new right back to that. 

He also said that Carlos hasn't had all the tools to win us promotion which is interesting. There is a general consensus is that we have a pretty much perfect squad and anything below promotion is failure. We went into the summer desperately needing a CB and LB, we failed in landing a seasoned CB so had to re-sign Sasso a month after releasing him and we got Pudil which was rumoured to be CC's 3/4th choice. For me, for a side who are so reliant on the prowess of our full-backs this is probably our weakest area, it confuses me that we play a system that's so reliant on these positions to be honest. 

It was interesting to hear Watson though, he clearly doesn't watch us a lot and isn't invested in it like all of us so its interesting to hear a different perspective. Although I had to laugh at him saying that Wednesday's reputation is to 'take it to teams' and 'have a go', I'm guessing he didn't watch us at all from 2001 to 2015 then...  

37 minutes ago, Manchester_Owl said:

He has a point in recruiting premiership quality players. 

If we do this then we will get promoted.

Either Lee, Hutchinson or Bannan needs to be sold and we need a boss/governor in the middle.  This may actually be Abdi, who knows.

He has a point in Rhodes. I won't personally have a go at him (try not to), but we need strikers with a selfish mentally of wanting to score ALL the goals, pens, a bit like FF is tbh.

He needs to be ruthless. Could you imagine Jermain Defoe passing up on a pen in the biggest game of the season? 

If Rhodes sorts this out he will be successful with us. 

I don't think Rhodes needs to change at all to be honest. We need to just play to his strengths to get the best out of him. 

In 2012 when he scored 40 goals he still only took the 6th penalty in the final... The circus around this story took the focus away from the fact that we were hanging on for dear life at home to Huddersfield, and we were lucky to even get to pens. 

Last season he scored 17 goals, more than any Wednesday player. 11 for a God-awful Blackburn side and 6 for Boro which helped them clinch promotion to the Premier League which included 5 massive goals in April, the crunch time of the season. 

8 minutes ago, ramone said:

Garbage footballer

Never done anything after he's retired

His knowledge of the current Wednesday is embarrassing

How it even made it to air is beyond me. 

Hmmm, i think if you think about it,you will know why it made it to "air",they "bbc sheffield" would appear to be wanting opinions from ex pro's,and wednesday ones at that,think its called fanning the flames or summat,because staton can then give credence to an ex pro's opinion,however far from the "truth/facts" they are..........just my opinion like.

18 minutes ago, Owls2k said:

So you say he's entitled to his opinion, but in your opinion his opinion is invalid because he's not played at a high enough level. Weird. 

I'm on a public forum that is for fans, he was on local media talking about Wednesday.

My opinion is also valid but will be heard by much less than his was.

I don't see your point.   I didn't slate him, I merely said I disagree with his point of view because he's never really achieved much in the game either as a player or a coach/scout/manager etc.

In my opinion his worth is about as much as mine because he's not achieved sod all.

1 minute ago, Dave78 said:

You could tell that Watson's not watched us that often.

We definitely had the tools to go up.

I also think the league is harder than he made out.

This league is harder than the last time we got out of it under Ron Atkinson.    THAT is what Watson remembers.