Was automatic promotion honestly acheivable?

Guest bagelybear

Just now, sonofbert2 said:

The social media videos of him on his pushbike which supporters lapped up.

Then there was one at the training ground with him showing his pockets empty.

Turned out he was p1ssed off about Fletcher's car and wages in the deal that brought him to the club.

Oh ok. I vaguely remember hearing about that but never saw them. 

The whole thing annoyed me so I tried to ignore it. 

Just now, i used to be sc_owl said:

Oh ok. I vaguely remember hearing about that but never saw them. 

The whole thing annoyed me so I tried to ignore it. 

It was all over social media and then his missus was getting abuse d on there too afterwards.

It was all very negative and tacky.

48 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Probably get slagged off for this

When FF refused to play against Norwich

I lost confidence that we would get automatic

The draw at Norwich then getting beat at Burton.1 point from an acheivable 6 was in my opinion was due to FF refusing to play.We lost the momentum then.

55 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Probably get slagged off for this

When FF refused to play against Norwich

I lost confidence that we would get automatic

No, I think that's fair enough.

After the fantastic team spirit which we had last season, that incident was a clear signal that no longer was everybody involved in the team pulling in the same direction and putting the team before all else, even if only temporarily. Although Carlos and Chansiri dealt with it as well as anyone could have, it was an unsavoury episode which seemed to destabilise the start of our season and distract us no matter how slightly from the important business of maximising our early-season points haul.

When you look at the steely focus and determination that Brighton had since the very start of the season, it felt like we were lacking something needed in the race for automatic promotion. Hopefully we'll be able to find it over the summer months.

No, not for me. People talk to me about how you can't play Bannan, Lee and Hutch in one midfield, and how it doesn't work when he tries to shoehorn them all in. Well, if you're ex-PL then you've got Bannan and Hutch in one player, so the problem doesn't arise. The way we played this season is to compensate for the fact that we don't have the players that the ex-PL teams have. My criticism has never been the style, it's been whether Carlos is adept enough at it.

14 minutes ago, daveyboy66 said:

I asked this previously but no one answered...Do you think we would have played the same way if Hooper had not got injured or would we have played as we had the previous 8 games winning 6 and drawing 2...especially if we had a fit McManaman and Buckley on the bench..yes modboy they were injured not CC playing his favourites f**Kwit

I don't think Carlos had the bottle to go for it in the play offs. I think his approach would have largely been the same. 

I got the impression that once we got the play offs, he was happy to leave much of it up to chance; main thing being to avoid defeat in normal game time. 

Those six games were the nearest we've had to what CC has been aiming for all season...don't concede, can play whatever the opposition throw at us and have the firepower on the field and on the bench to turn any situation...all the things we couldn't do last season...in the BIG PICTURE it's how we are developing...don't believe me...ask Bully or any of the coaching staff

4 hours ago, bagelybear said:

if so at which point/game did we lose it?

At the point where Brighton and Newcastle started the season. We were never ever going to get automatic promotion.

I think I have just bitten because surely this is a wind up?

Edited by ChapSmurf

With the squad we have ,and the players at our disposal , Yes automatic promotion should have been achievable.  

A totally honest critique would say yes it was achievable, and we lost it in the games against the lesser sides where we didn't show them enough respect, lost the game playing a normal game when we should have gone for the jugular.   

I think that accounts for about 6 games we should have won but got zilch - 18 points.

In insight I'd say yes automatic promotion was achievable. We played poor for large parts of the season in a very hard division and still finished 4th. Had we played the right tactics for the season we'd have definitely pushed the top 2 all the way to the last day 

3 hours ago, s6 owl said:

Brighton x2 

Burton x2 

Brentofrd x2 

Birmingham Away x2

Ipswich home 

Leeds x2

All them games the other team weren't better than us we just handed them the points on a plate 

There is always the thing about 'specifically the top teams' but one can argue that the whole thing is about consistency over the season. All teams raise their game against the 'top' or ' immediate rival ' teams' so there is no point in grinding out the 'what if theory' .

Equally, there is no point in reflecting upon the points lost against the bottom end clubs if we should, on form , have turned them over

The average over the whole season thing is surely what to look at !

Also, no point in wingeing about 'injuries' without considering the 'injury' position of of rival clubs who may perhaps have been suffering huge injuries to their team OR who played us when we were equally without 'star' players .

Automatics is possible if we recruit right.

-large centre back (ie. grant hanley from newcastle)

-strong box to box midfielder as the bannan and lee partnership is too lightweight for playing strong teams like leeds

-LB as pudil got taught a lesson on wednesday

-quick winger who can beat a man and cross the ball as reach can not do it (ie. Jota from brentford)

I think the championship is weaker next season as there is not a team as strong as BHA and NU.

6 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Yes, our squad was on paper better than Brighton's

We lost it against Villa at home in the first game of the season... I can't remember having such a disparity between my expectations and the reality of how a team could perform as I did in that first game, I was so underwhelmed with the performance I could scarcely believe how uninspiring we were. Season never really progressed from there, save for maybe a small handful of games

Agreed - it was around September when I realised CC was going to stick with his favourites in a formation that didn't work.

You knew Abdi was never going to get a proper run out. - and CC stuck him in the one position that caused his to leave Watford.

Only when key players became injured did we start to improve as he was forced to switch things around and put players int their best positions - Reach on the left, two proper strikers etc.

Shame they came back for the playoffs - that's what screwed us.

We never really got going all season but still managed fourth place.

Looking back it was a very weird season. Respectable finish, 80+ points but the majority of our displays were turgid, we never really knew our best 11, we spent loads of money on talent which hardly really had a great impact. 

And Huddersfield and bleeding Reading are battling it out in the play off final.

Strange season. Hope next seasons has more of a plan and structure to it.

3 hours ago, daveyboy66 said:

Those six games were the nearest we've had to what CC has been aiming for all season...don't concede, can play whatever the opposition throw at us and have the firepower on the field and on the bench to turn any situation...all the things we couldn't do last season...in the BIG PICTURE it's how we are developing...don't believe me...ask Bully or any of the coaching staff

If that's the case, why did he make 3 changes?