Was automatic promotion honestly acheivable?

Guest bagelybear

Yes, our squad was on paper better than Brighton's

We lost it against Villa at home in the first game of the season... I can't remember having such a disparity between my expectations and the reality of how a team could perform as I did in that first game, I was so underwhelmed with the performance I could scarcely believe how uninspiring we were. Season never really progressed from there, save for maybe a small handful of games

Brighton away was a psychological smack in the face.

Again we were in total control, down to 10 men and facing a penalty they were staring at defeat.

FF stepped up and missed, they took heart from that and our heads went down, momentum was lost as they regrouped.

We were then caught between pressing harder and getting caught on the break and a great cross gave them the winner whilst we lost it with the sending offs.

Another game of very fine margins in which we'd more than held our own and demonstrated we were one of the top group of teams in the division.

The aftermath on here was funny if it hadn't been so ridiculously over the top and as well as being a headfuck re. automatics it brought home to me just how seriously mental some of my fellow supporters were.

Their reaction at the end was all you had to look at that night.

Yes it was. Who would have thought Derby, Villa and Norwich wouldn't be in the running. Newcastle, Brighton and us should have been battling for the top two, and we never came close. Don't think there was a game where we lost it, just different fans realising at different points of the season that we weren't going to do it.

Yes it was achievable.

Many said this season would be more difficult but it has been quite the opposite with many of the big teams underperforming. I'm surprised we've finished so high to be honest. 

Carlos said many times over the past 2 seasons that us and Brighton are 'of similar value' yet they've finished 15 and 12 points ahead of us. We have to ask ourselves why that was. 

The capitulation away at Brighton was actually quite incredible, that showed the difference in character in the two squads.

Edited by Owls2k

Absolutely it was.

We started slow. Likely due to hangover from the playoff final, late preseason etc. In pre season Matias looked like he would have been a key part of the team but got injured.

As others have said, we got close & that Brighton game away was there for the taking. At the end none of us who were there could believe what had just happened. We then had another chance but injuries seemed to hit around that point & we didn't get that break we needed.

It's all fine margins & we are not far off. That's why I can't understand the meltdown some are having. This squad including the management team deserve one more crack & with a bit more luck on the injury front I think we'd do it.

It was definitely possible and would have been probable with a more attacking philosophy. 

Forestieri should have been sold when he refused to play but I don't think that was as important as the completely baffling decision to keep playing three central midfielders when it clearly wasn't working. 

35 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Probably get slagged off for this

When FF refused to play against Norwich

I lost confidence that we would get automatic

I agree.

As well as it was handled I hated the "bike joke" when I found out what it meant.  I thought we played well given what was happening behind the scenes and on the surface there didn't seem to be too much of an aftermath.

It left a bad taste though and was the first sign of a break in the ranks.  It split the fans and set the tone in some ways for the rest of the season in that respect.

I suppose it's something that both needs managing and getting used to as we aim to get back again.  First world football problems you could say.....Like I said, I think it was handled pretty well but you can't ignore that it happened.

Just now, sonofbert2 said:

I agree.

As well as it was handled I hated the "bike joke" when I found out what it meant.  I thought we played well given what was happening behind the scenes and on the surface there didn't seem to be too much of an aftermath.

It left a bad taste though and was the first sign of a break in the ranks.  It split the fans and set the tone in some ways for the rest of the season in that respect.

I suppose it's something that both needs managing and getting used to as we aim to get back again.  First world football problems you could say.....Like I said, I think it was handled pretty well but you can't ignore that it happened.

What was the bike joke? Honestly don't know...?

2 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

What was the bike joke? Honestly don't know...?

The social media videos of him on his pushbike which supporters lapped up.

Then there was one at the training ground with his bike and with him showing his pockets empty.

Turned out he was p1ssed off about Fletcher's car and wages in the deal that brought him to the club.

Edited by sonofbert2