Three to Four more wins

I'm not sure I can take the frustration of losing in the play offs again.  We need around 4 more wins to add to this seasons league points to be in contention for top two and automatic promotion.  What do we need to tweak (I think that's all we need) to get an additional 4 more wins next season?

22 minutes ago, Gresh said:

I'm not sure I can take the frustration of losing in the play offs again.  We need around 4 more wins to add to this seasons league points to be in contention for top two and automatic promotion.  What do we need to tweak (I think that's all we need) to get an additional 4 more wins next season?

Easier said than done especially if we adopt the same tactics

Had we beaten Brighton twice instead of losing those games we would have finished above them in the league. 

We also lost twice to leeds and Reading

Thats 18 points missed out on, so next season we need to have a team that can beat the top 6 sides more often 

Personally I don't feel sheffield wednesday will ever be able to qualify through the playoffs of this league as we are an unlucky side. So the top two is the only way we'll do it 

Edited by Southie_Owl

Just now, Gresh said:

So the exact same team but a change in tactics will get us the 4 more wins we need then?

No, need a couple of quality players as well, but not ones who spend most of the season injured, again easier said than done

2 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Had we beaten Brighton twice instead of losing those games we would have finished above them in the league. 

We also lost twice to leeds and Reading

Thats 18 points missed out on, so next season we need to have a team that can beat the top 6 sides more often 

Personally I don't feel sheffield wednesday will ever be able to qualify through the playoffs as we are an unlucky side. So the top two is the only way we'll do it 

Fair point but we did beat Newcastle and Huddersfield twice in the league.  I don't like the lottery of the play offs but I wonder whether if we had finished 5th instead of 4th and played the first leg at home (ala Brighton last season) that we would have been more positive in the first leg and won at home and blanked Huddersfield out in the second leg away. 

4-4-2 With pace on the wings and Rhodes up front will get promotion. 

4-4-2 With three central midfielders and Fletcher and Forestieri up front will get top half. 

Our great run in the second half if the season coincided with circumstances forcing Carlos to go with two wide players.  

We need to beat burton albion, thats for sure. No disrespect but not winning the games we were expected to win cost us this season as it did the previous one. 

Quite simply need to start taking chances. From a stats point of view we have created bucket loads across the season. Time to start putting teams away. 

Edited by Warringtonowl

Such fine margins in this league, where could those wins come from? Fulham at home on final day is a different game if a win means something (even that team we played may have got something 11v11), penalty scored at Brighton to put us 2-1 up, Derby away with handball on line. I'm sure others can think of more, like I said, fine margins!

12 minutes ago, Warringtonowl said:

We need to beat burton albion, thats for sure. No disrespect but not winning the games we were expected to win cost us this season as it did the previous one. 

Quite simply need to start taking chances. From a stats point of view we have created bucket loads across the season. Time to start putting teams away. 

Only took 1 point from Burton Albion, which was poor but from my recollection we took maximum points against the relegated teams this season, which we didn't do the previous season.

2 minutes ago, ChapOwl79 said:

Such fine margins in this league, where could those wins come from? Fulham at home on final day is a different game if a win means something (even that team we played may have got something 11v11), penalty scored at Brighton to put us 2-1 up, Derby away with handball on line. I'm sure others can think of more, like I said, fine margins!

Yeah the Brighton one was a massive turn around when we missed the penalty and they Derby game should have been a penalty and a sending off, which could have changed the course of the game.  Fine margins indeed, but we probably also rode our luck in a few games where we got last gasp winners.

We need a good start (so get the manager and transfers sorted pronto) and no distractions like Forestieri-gate.

The FF incident cost us quite a lot in those first few months.

You can't identify a specific game where disruption cost us, but we lost to Burton, Ipswich, and Leeds (who were poor at the time) early on. All games we should have won.

Thats three of your four games.

Eradicating our perennial terrible starts to any campaign would go some way to securing the points that make a difference between playoffs and autos.

We have the best fire power in the division if it is played to its strengths.

We have a consistent defensive unit that IMO can be improved further with proper cover especially at LB and CB

We need a strong and athletic CM machine to drive this team higher up the pitch.

Pace.  We are a slow side but we have looked very dangerous again this year when players run directly at the opposition box. Sadly and presumably as directed by CC these have been few and far between this time.

Tantalisingly close now IMO.  The only thing holding this side back is a ruthless approach and CC needs to go back to his own principles of the game which brought so much excitement and superb goals.

Let's  remember last year the team was only in place from the end of September.

I just don't understand why CC thought the need to ditch his own philosophy in the first 6 months of this season and then revert to last years team.

Would be delighted if CC stayed but on the condition he reverts to the swashbuckling style of his first year and stick to it but this time with the squad he has assembled + the key positions above. 

4 minutes ago, Gresh said:

Yeah the Brighton one was a massive turn around when we missed the penalty and they Derby game should have been a penalty and a sending off, which could have changed the course of the game.  Fine margins indeed, but we probably also rode our luck in a few games where we got last gasp winners.

But isn't riding your luck what good teams do when they need to? Think Steve Bruce's brace at Old Trafford in 93!

52 minutes ago, Gresh said:

If we had a bit more luck with injuries think we could have done that this season, but what happens, happens. I do feel the league will be harder this season however. 

I think for us it will all be about having a flying start.

Winning 10 out of the first 15, then the momentum and crowd backing will see us through 

This season we always seemed just too far behind the top two and never really had that focus to really go for it 

2 minutes ago, Tamworthowl said:

We need a good start (so get the manager and transfers sorted pronto) and no distractions like Forestieri-gate.

The FF incident cost us quite a lot in those first few months.

You can't identify a specific game where disruption cost us, but we lost to Burton, Ipswich, and Leeds (who were poor at the time) early on. All games we should have won.

Thats three of your four games.

Beat me too it, totally agree 

2 minutes ago, don'tCallMeOwlCallYo said:

If we had a bit more luck with injuries think we could have done that this season, but what happens, happens. I do feel the league will be harder this season however. 

Agree, we had injuries to key players at crucial times but the depth of our squad should have been good enough.  Yes, will definitely be harder next season with the relegated teams hoping to bounce straight back up and Norwich and Villa looking to make amends this season.

We need to find a way to break down teams that put 10 behind the ball a la Burton Albion. Replace Loovens (Great captain but too slow now) and Pudil (not the player we thought we signed) and get someone like Mooy in our midfield and I would expect auto's and possibly Champions. we aren't a million miles away, just a few tweaks.

Edited by Owling Wolfe