Tammy Abraham & Izzy Brown

3 months since we signed Rhodes.

4 months since Winnall.

10 months since we signed Fletcher.

12 months since we signed Hooper.

Do we just keep going and going, or do we spot that something is fundamentally wrong with how we attack?

Abraham is faster than anything we have. But he would have nothing to chase.

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

4 months since Winnall.

Do we just keep going and going, or do we spot that something is fundamentally wrong with how we attack?

very good point

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Thought Brown was nothing special actually.  Good pass for the goal but didn't see much else!

Another striker is no way near the top of our priorities, the below are;

1. New manager

2. Remove deadwood from oversized squad

3. Additional centre back to compete with / replace Loovens

4. New winger(s) with pace and the ability to provide service to our strikers

5. New wing back(s) to replace Pudil, possibly Hunt

6. Combative central midfielder 

All of the above acquisitions need to have leadership qualities

1 minute ago, Ballmeist said:

Another striker is no way near the top of our priorities, the below are;

1. New manager

2. Remove deadwood from oversized squad

3. Additional centre back to compete with / replace Loovens

4. New winger(s) with pace and the ability to provide service to our strikers

5. New wing back(s) to replace Pudil, possibly Hunt

6. Combative central midfielder 

All of the above acquisitions need to have leadership qualities

For me, Hunt was our most improved player this season. A fully fit Morgan Fox is more than capable at left back, Pudil is knocking on now. 

Reach needs competition. 

Combative midfielder I agree with, we either need Hutch to stay fit or find our own Kante. 

Jota and Brown are pacey, other wings 's I'd look at is Pereira from Forest and Josh Murphy from Norwich 

16 minutes ago, Tommo_ said:

For me, Hunt was our most improved player this season. A fully fit Morgan Fox is more than capable at left back, Pudil is knocking on now. 

Reach needs competition. 

Combative midfielder I agree with, we either need Hutch to stay fit or find our own Kante. 

Jota and Brown are pacey, other wings 's I'd look at is Pereira from Forest and Josh Murphy from Norwich 

If you were manager, and had Forestieri, Pereira and Murphy for LW, who would you play!

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

4 months since Winnall.

One or two players with scary pace and the oppositions defence sits 5-10 yards deeper so they don't get caught in behind.  5-10 yards extra space for the midfielders to work with, to find space in.  You also have those players on the pitch to catch the opposition out when they do push up.  Its a double edged sword.

Its been our one standout fundamental weakness in the last two seasons.  Coupled with lack of runners from midfield when Kieran Lee wasn't playing we lose/lack two major tools for pushing the opposition back a number of yards and prevent or at the very least, make it more difficult for them to play a prolonged pressing game against us.  It also creates space for the midfield to have time on the ball to play the killer pass.

Without sending this into another shopping list thread, along with Jackson Irvine we need a regular starter with pace.  My preference is for it coming from up top if its not coming from a blood and thunder runner from midfield.  Wingers are all well and good but they come up against quick and nimble full backs, somewhat negating the effect.

I said Scott Hogan last year.  That ship has sailed.  I'd happily let Nuhiu go as we don't need his height anymore.  Fletcher is not going anywhere at this stage of his career.  Obviously we wouldn't sell Hooper and I think Rhodes is here to stay. Which leaves Winnall and Hirst as saleable commodities because we really don't need an additional striker.  That's just compounding the bloated squad we have. 

So say we did a shrewd bit of business for Winnall and Nuhiu and had 4 million.  I wouldn't add anything to that because whatever war chest CC or a new manager get will need to be spent elsewhere.  The strikers have to be cost neutral for me.  Who is available for that sort of money with genuine pace?  Not many I would hazard a guess.

So to get back to the OP, just to add pace to the squad it would have to be a loan for somebody of Tammy Abraham's pedigree.

15 minutes ago, Tommo_ said:

Reach needs competition. 

Whilst I don't think Hunt is fantastic i wouldn't be against him being in the starting 11 next season.

Hutchinson is a good defensive midfield but the manager needs to break up the habit of playing the ball between the centre backs, defensive midfielder and keeper all the time. There is a time and place for it and we've certainly overdone it this season. The manager also needs to make sure he isn't shoe horning players into midfield which probably means dropping one of Bannan or Lee.

Not overly impressed with Brown and feel he's getting mentioned a lot purely because we just played Hudds. Jota is a good player but doesn't he play more through the middle? We really need someone who attacks wing backs and gets in behind to supply the strikers with crosses. At the moment we're overloaded with players that try and play through teams.

Murphy from Norwich is a good shout from what I've seen of him. 

11 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

One or two players with scary pace and the oppositions defence sits 5-10 yards deeper so they don't get caught in behind.  5-10 yards extra space for the midfielders to work with, to find space in.  You also have those players on the pitch to catch the opposition out when they do push up.  Its a double edged sword.

Its been our one standout fundamental weakness in the last two seasons.  Coupled with lack of runners from midfield when Kieran Lee wasn't playing we lose/lack two major tools for pushing the opposition back a number of yards and prevent or at the very least, make it more difficult for them to play a prolonged pressing game against us.  It also creates space for the midfield to have time on the ball to play the killer pass.

Without sending this into another shopping list thread, along with Jackson Irvine we need a regular starter with pace.  My preference is for it coming from up top if its not coming from a blood and thunder runner from midfield.  Wingers are all well and good but they come up against quick and nimble full backs, somewhat negating the effect.

I said Scott Hogan last year.  That ship has sailed.  I'd happily let Nuhiu go as we don't need his height anymore.  Fletcher is not going anywhere at this stage of his career.  Obviously we wouldn't sell Hooper and I think Rhodes is here to stay. Which leaves Winnall and Hirst as saleable commodities because we really don't need an additional striker.  That's just compounding the bloated squad we have. 

So say we did a shrewd bit of business for Winnall and Nuhiu and had 4 million.  I wouldn't add anything to that because whatever war chest CC or a new manager get will need to be spent elsewhere.  The strikers have to be cost neutral for me.  Who is available for that sort of money with genuine pace?  Not many I would hazard a guess.

So to get back to the OP, just to add pace to the squad it would have to be a loan for somebody of Tammy Abraham's pedigree.

Shrewd!!! If you can get 4m for Winnall and Nuhiu, promise me you will come and work for me in my sales dept.

I dont actually have a business, but will start one, and one day spike we will be millionaires.

IMO you underate Fletcher. Five goals in seven games at the sharp end of the season, and has recently showed us how best to play him. Look at those headers he has scored v Rotherham, Derby, Newcastle and udders. Put decent balls over and he wins most of them.

14 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

If you were manager, and had Forestieri, Pereira and Murphy for LW, who would you play!

our (current) manager would play an extra defensive central midfielder and all of the above would be on the bench/sat in the stand 

ffs ATTACK IS THE BEST FORM OF DEFENCE !!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR 

Edited by brian joicey

I think that we missed the boat by not going in for Abraham and Brown at the start of the season and now it's too late. They may fancy their chances at lower end PL clubs on loan now. If I were Chelsea that's what I'd be looking to do to aid their development.