Tom Lees yellow card stats

Something different from the doom and gloom of the last the couple of days here. 

I was talking to Leeds fan about Tom Lees earlier and checked out his stats. In his 236 Championship matches for Wednesday and Leeds combined, Lees has only received a total of 11 yellow cards. That works out at less than one every 21 matches.

That seems unbelievably low to me for a centre back. Is it because he's such a good defender at this level he doesn't give many fouls away? Or can he be accused of maybe being a little bit too nice? Not a criticism of him at all because he's been a terrific for us in the three seasons that he's been at the club so far - just an interesting thing that I noticed.

Centre-backs tend to get fewer yellow cards than full-backs and central midfielders, surprisingly. 2 per season is very low but I'd expect a typical CB to get 5-6 per season and a FB/CM to get 8-9 per season (or 12-15 for a Hutch / Cattermole / de Jong type).

(says someone who's put far too many bets on the "shown a card?" market on Betfair)

4 minutes ago, brian joicey said:

doesn't go in for rash challenges (hutch take note),timing and reading of the game is perfect, hence very few yellow cards.all in all a very accomplished central defender .. in the bobby moore mould ?????

Did you just compare tom Lees to Bobby Moore?

3 minutes ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

he's a good defender but far to overrated by many

He's a very good defender. Full stop. No problem with that but he's very 'awkward' on the ball imo. 

Because he generally stays on his feet. You go to ground as regularly at Hutchinson, it's like a magnet to referees. Only criticism of Lees which has been more apparent this season because of how Carlos plays is his discomfort with ball at feet.