Total write off

Guest Deleted member

Guest Deleted member

This week.

Spent Monday and Tuesday basically passing the time - Wednesday couldn't concentrate on work at all - and then yesterday sat staring into space, completely gutted. 

Still am. 

So near and yet so far. Progress undoubtably. Higher in the league, more points, more goals, overall squad improved, our better players tied into long term contracts, and other squad fillers due to leave this summer. Nobody can surely argue that we aren't a whole lot stronger than where we were this time last year.

So its on into the summer, and hopefully not too many changes. Our much criticised defence once again kept more clean sheets than we have ever been used to - but I still think we need a better player to partner Tom Lees and we really really need to look at quality full backs. I think we are weak in the centre of midfield - certainly when injuries bite.

Other than that - I'd make minimal changes - keep as much of the team as we can together and the management team too. Carlos is more and more aware of the challenge and the division now - I'd really not be looking to change.  Regroup, enjoy a full pre season with pretty much the full squad together and we go again... Play to Rhodes strengths. I think Abdi could be huge for us next year.

Hopefully I'll be over Wednesday night by then

I've said it a few times now but we need to change tactically in my opinion which would actually bring out the best in existing players rather than completely writing them off. 

To me you have to look at how we can supply 5 top strikers much more regularly. For me the answer is wingers, wingers that keep out wide and have pace. 

You have to look at giving the midfield an option to through ball, to drive forwards. There's not enough pace and movement for them... unless our full backs are bombing on. The answer is wingers with pace to stretch a team and get round the back.

Finally, our full backs get criticised. But in my opinion they do the hardest and most tiring job in the team. They are basically our only attacking threat out wide, the only 2 players that generally give us real width and pace. Yet they've got to sprint back after every attack. Give them some support by having wingers in front of them. 

A tactical change is needed. Most Premiership teams play with wingers and the top teams in the country value pace very very highly. Why don't we? 

Edited by TheEnchanter

1 minute ago, TheEnchanter said:

I've said it a few times now but we need to change tactically in my opinion which would actually bring out the best in existing players rather than completely writing them off. 

To me you have to look at how we can supply 5 top strikers much more regularly. For me the answer in wingers, wingers that keep out wide and have pace. 

You have to look at giving the midfield an option to through ball, to drive forwards. There's not enough pace and movement for them... unless our full backs are bombing on. The answer is wingers with pace to stretch a team and get round the back.

Finally, our full backs get criticesed. But in my opinion they do the hardest and most tiring job in the team. They are basically our only attacking threat out wide, the only 2 players that generally give us real width and pace. Yet they've got to sprint back after every attack. Give them some support by having wingers in front of them. 

A tactical change is needed. Most Premiership teams play with wingers and the top teams in the country value pace very very highly. Why don't we? 

Agreed; too many good players not at the races for us this season. Not just coincidence IMO.

12 minutes ago, Grandad said:

This week.

Spent Monday and Tuesday basically passing the time - Wednesday couldn't concentrate on work at all - and then yesterday sat staring into space, completely gutted. 

Still am. 

So near and yet so far. Progress undoubtably. Higher in the league, more points, more goals, overall squad improved, our better players tied into long term contracts, and other squad fillers due to leave this summer. Nobody can surely argue that we aren't a whole lot stronger than where we were this time last year.

So its on into the summer, and hopefully not too many changes. Our much criticised defence once again kept more clean sheets than we have ever been used to - but I still think we need a better player to partner Tom Lees and we really really need to look at quality full backs. I think we are weak in the centre of midfield - certainly when injuries bite.

Other than that - I'd make minimal changes - keep as much of the team as we can together and the management team too. Carlos is more and more aware of the challenge and the division now - I'd really not be looking to change.  Regroup, enjoy a full pre season with pretty much the full squad together and we go again... Play to Rhodes strengths. I think Abdi could be huge for us next year.

Pretty much agree with all this - full backs aside, like Hunt and think Pudil is starting to get back to how he was when he came on loan.

Please though, for the love of god, can we focus on a top 2 finish next season - I'm beginning to dislike this play-off b*llocks! lol

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

11 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

To me you have to look at how we can supply 5 top strikers much more regularly. For me the answer is wingers, wingers that keep out wide and have pace. 

Finally, our full backs get criticised. But in my opinion they do the hardest and most tiring job in the team. They are basically our only attacking threat out wide, the only 2 players that generally give us real width and pace. Yet they've got to sprint back after every attack. Give them some support by having wingers in front of them. 

Spot on mate.

We were crying out for wingers after last season and we still are now, even when we sign them Carlos doesn't give them a chance. 

With the strikers we have we must play with wingers and get balls in the box with Fessi supporting in a number 10 roll

I love hutch but I think he is better long term as a partner for Lees in defence 

We need something more powerful and box to box in CM with Lee

19 minutes ago, Grandad said:

This week.

Still am. 

Good post. 

Full backs aren't a massive concern. Central midfield needs ripping up and starting again though. 

Some great players but they just don't work together. 

Guest Deleted member

I'm confused

For the best part of this season Ive been hearing that our tactics this season werent as good as our tactics last season. Now some are saying our manager is too stubborn to change the tactics. Which is it?

We need a ball carrier. Out wide or through the middle doesn't matter so much but we need someone who has good pace and can run at the opposites with the ball at his feet.

Royston Drenthe was good at it and so was Antonio. We need to find another one in that category.

Over the whole season it tells you something when bannan hs been a passenger through most of it then is the best player during the play off semi final game we have an issue with consistency and cc is to blame for it he gets negative when it comes to weekday games etc it needs fixing for next season

1 minute ago, Grandad said:

I'm confused

For the best part of this season Ive been hearing that our tactics this season werent as good as our tactics last season. Now some are saying our manager is too stubborn to change the tactics. Which is it?

Here for me lies the problem this season, Carlos over thought it imo,

The negative tactics shackled the players, mentally they weren't attack minded anymore and it became difficult for them to change gear when it was needed.

What fans are saying just based on this season we have been overly negative. There were times this season to change.  Mix it up a bit, play with two out and out wingers lets see what happens. We have the strikers in the middle to make it happen but they simply have not had the service.

6 minutes ago, Owlinmad said:

We need a ball carrier. Out wide or through the middle doesn't matter so much but we need someone who has good pace and can run at the opposites with the ball at his feet.

Royston Drenthe was good at it and so was Antonio. We need to find another one in that category.

Spot on. 

Guest Deleted member

In this 'negative' season we have scored more goals, earned more points and finished higher in the table?

Just now, Grandad said:

In this 'negative' season we have scored more goals, earned more points and finished higher in the table?

Can you imagine what we could have been like with this team and less negativity.......we'd have been champions by March.......probably.

43 minutes ago, Grandad said:

This week.

Still am. 

Can't argue with any of that, if we could add a bit of pace and power then I feel we could be the real deal next season if CC evolves his playing style to a middle ground of somewhere between this season and last which is very possible.