Premiership...Really?

What is it about the premiership that makes it the dream destination?

Burnley 6pts above relegation, Middlesborough & Hull relegated...is this what we want to pay £35 per game to see for a season?

I really enjoyed the twists and turns of our last League 1 campaign then we had a few seasons of abject misery, dross on the pitch and no feel good factor for the days after each struggling game.

The past 2 seasons have been fantastic. Excitement, great football and some quality players.

I've watched a few premiership games this season and they've left me cold. The football is technical, the players are very good, the passion almost zero...but if that's our holy grail, to really struggle week in week out as we watch the big boys compete for 4 giant prizes (Champions League places)...I'm not sure it's going to be that good an experience.

You'd better ask the guy that has invested the money. How long will Dejphon Chansiri be happy to fund huge financial losses? That is the key question. I'd be quite happy with Championship football for a few seasons to build. I fear he may not be and, if he goes, we really are in the financial dodo.

But it won't be fun failing in the playoffs every year either.

I loved it when we were in the premier league.

We never really stood a chance of winning it and we were fine with finishing eighth. But it was great.

The football is much higher standard and no less passionate.

Those games when you beat the likes of man utd or Chelsea make it worthwhile.

Mr C has spent alot on team and ground but can't keep pumping millions in every year. Plus the ground still needs alot spending on it. Get to the Prem is the only option. Plus we have the potential to push on. Have a look at the Prem table - we are big a club as any finishing below 7th, which includes the likes of Southampton, Stoke, West Brom, Palace, Watford, Swansea, Bournemouth. I look back and cringe when I think where some of these clubs were 20 years ago. We are a Prem outfit, don't ever doubt it.

To have a good season in this division will lead you to the upper echelons.

So yeah let's have playoff heartbreak every year just so we don't go up and struggle for a while.

Or better still let's just finish 7th forever?

Don't talk wet. Eventually it will happen and I cannot wait to see the big hitters at S6 and to slog it out with stoke/wba etc.

UP the owls

Sheffield Wednesday traditionally have been one of the biggest 10-15 clubs in the country. Out natural home should be in the top division. If we don't aim to get there if feels like we are under selling ourselves.

But I do understand and share many views on why the Premier League is not all its cracked up to be.

Worth remembering that when Sheffield Wednesday were in the Premiership (as it was then called) in the 1990s, average attendances weren’t that much higher than now and the football was appalling at times.

http://european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/shew.htm

I have fanzines from the 1994-95 season, bemoaning terrible games and a desire for things to improve drastically.  I know some people who even refused to renew season tickets because they perceived standards had dropped too far. Wednesday finished 13th that season. 13th. Most fans would over the moon with that now.

Success and the football experience are very relative. Yes, I’d love to see Wednesday back in the top flight (Sheffield is one of the game’s world heritage sites and should be represented in the Premier League) but one wonders how happy fans would be if it turned into season upon season of struggle or lower mid-table obscurity? Getting back into that league is one thing. Competing in it is something else entirely.

It was just about the cash and then the parachute payments after if we came back down, as for the league itself well, Stoke

Wba

Swansea 

Southampton 

Burnley

Bournemouth 

Palace 

Watford 

Leicester 

Those are just bang average boring sides to watch and we would've properly got mullerd every week with this side imo.