Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

1 hour ago, hatcheeks said:

I think people have a right to be annoyed that we haven't signed a decent CB when it's been obvious we've needed one since the beginning of last season and in that time we signed Fox and Urby that were poor and unbelievably poor signings, Rhodes and Winnal when we already had 5 strikers, Jones when we already had too many CM etc etc

im not surprised one bit that people are a bit worried so close to the start to the season because everyone is desperate to get off to a solid start for a change 

Remains to be seen whether Fox is a poor signing. 

Whether through necessity or by design, he's featured in every pre-season game so far and has put in some fantastic deliveries and looked busy. Still 23 years old too.  If he gets some games under his belt and gains a little confidence, he could very easily become a very good Championship left back this season. Alternatively, he could play some games, make a mistake, loose confidence and be hit and miss as he was last season. Could go either way for the lad, but I'd reserve judgement for the next 5/6 months or so... he's certainly got the energy and crossing technique to be a surprise asset this season... it's all whether he keeps up the concentration defensively and allows himself to gain confidence and keep it.

F*ck me. 

Just Visiting giving lectures on how to run a club to a Boro fan. 

:duntmatter:

To our resident Boro fan: ignore the boring tosspot. He usually goes into hiding once Leeds lose a game. 

18 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Cant agree.

If we start the season with only Loovens, Lees and Hutch as CB, either Loovens or Hutch should sit out. 

Would u want to risk having to play Pudil as CB for 8 or 9 games before the Jan window?

We gave four excellent CMs for two places, without needing Hutch. 

Hardly any of them can tackle or deal

with a physical midfield. Hutchinsons move into midfield turned our season last time and protected the defence.

I get what you're saying about protecting the players who may play cb until we sign one but I'm hopeful we should be able to get at least one of the two we are looking for before deadline day.

for some games I'd agree and wrap one in cotton wool but it wouldn't be Preston away 

I don't think we'll sign either Hutton or Mulgrew TBH. I can't see the Villa Chairman dealing with us after the Bennett farce last summer and I also can't see DC sanctioning a move for Mulgrew that will arguably cost more than it would've cost last summer when we were after him and he was available on a free. 

Still think we'll get Hanley in on loan at the end of the window and an unknown from a Portuguese club either on Loan or for next to nothing.

Just now, Bluesteel said:

Hardly any of them can tackle or deal

with a physical midfield. Hutchinsons move into midfield turned our season last time and protected the defence.

I get what you're saying about protecting the players who may play cb until we sign one but I'm hopeful we should be able to get at least one of the two we are looking for before deadline day.

for some games I'd agree and wrap one in cotton wool but it wouldn't be Preston away 

26 games before the window. 3 CBS incl the very fragile Hutch and Loovens....would have to tread very carefully. No wsy should Hutch risk injury or a Red in CM.

Im sure will will sign at least one though, but we do like leaving it late. 

7 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

26 games before the window. 3 CBS incl the very fragile Hutch and Loovens....would have to tread very carefully. No wsy should Hutch risk injury or a Red in CM.

Im sure will will sign at least one though, but we do like leaving it late. 

Before the Jan window?

Im thinking of the current window 31st August 

if we dont sign anyone this window then agreed!

Edited by Bluesteel

2 hours ago, hatcheeks said:

I think people have a right to be annoyed that we haven't signed a decent CB when it's been obvious we've needed one since the beginning of last season and in that time we signed Fox and Urby that were poor and unbelievably poor signings, Rhodes and Winnal when we already had 5 strikers, Jones when we already had too many CM etc etc

im not surprised one bit that people are a bit worried so close to the start to the season because everyone is desperate to get off to a solid start for a change 

Going to have to pull you up on this one.

We had a centreback four of Lees, Loovens, Sasso and Hutchinson. More than good enough, as we proved by reaching th in the league, when the stated expectation was play offs.

Rhodes is probably one of the best strikers in the championship, and Winnall was one of the top scorers in the league at the time. The 5 you mention included the injured Hooper, the out of form Joao, Nuhiu, Fletcher - who was also poor - and im assuming, Forestieri. 

Jones was an astute signing for a CM that lost Hutch to he back four, and Lee and Abdi were injured most of the season. That left us with Bannan as the only other CM of note.

The club would have been slated to high heaven if we hadnt signed someone in January, as it was we got two strikers who SHOULD have fired us up. The fact is we didnt get the style right, and we wasted them.

Im confident that wont be a problem this year. As for the back four, we'll start with Lees and Loovens, which is good enough, and we'll get two more in before the end of the window.

Playing a dangerous game trying to get players in on the cheap

Sounds like we're hoping Newcastle don't flog Hanley so we can take him on loan last minute, then moving for Harlee Dean in Jan when his deal is down to 6 months

We need a ball winner in the 6 yard box. As we all know, a blatantly obvious flaw in our defense