Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

Think these are the positions we can realistically strengthen or give us more strength in depth 

CB - Like a few have said before, Elphick would be a good addition, been promoted out of this league, good centre half also a leader on the pitch aswell

LB - I know we beat them 5-1 but apart from that game Norwich lb  Dijks has looked good for them this season, athletic, tall and has a bit of skill aswell

RB - Unrealistic but I would love some one of the fredericks mould at RB , he can catch pigeons he is that fast, looks a great prospect, looks as though he could offer more than hunt

CM - said it for the past 2 seasons Diame, midfield enforcer can carry the ball forward, championship Yaya Toure

RM - Jota, no explanation needed top 5 players in this division 

LM -  Bakary Sako, powerful skillful left winger can't buy a game for palace 

Nothing needed up top

but failing that - 

Kluivert

Mols

Dani

Lombardo 

We need to offload a few as our squad is already very big, not to mention the wage bill.

In terms of incoming players I would suggest Manga (CB), who is out of contract at Cardiff though Warnock tried to keep hold of him. Probably better value than Hanley whose move to Newcastle has not been a great success. The same can be said of Elphick's move to Villa. The latter two players would also command high fees having only been signed last summer.

I would also be pleased to sign Lawrence (Leicester) who scored a great goal at Hillsborough and was Ipswich's stand out player. Jackson Irvine, yes please, but he was the difference between Burton staying up and going down last season and will be costly though I can't see him being at Burton much longer. He is also 6'2" and would add height to our midfield.

Jackson Irvine

Tom Lawrence

Jota
Elphick

All good shouts.  I would add...

Pocognoli

Skalak

George Boyd?? Maybe a bit of a long shot but looks like contract talks have stalled at Burnley and he's 31.  Still think he would tear this league a new one.

Elphick is pretty short for a centre back as he's under 6ft but he would offer more mobility. Main problem would be that he seems to have some issues with his ankles. Wages & tranfser fee wouldn't be huge though as he was only on £20k at bournemouth & Villa paid just £3m for him.

Hanley is 4 years younger & taller but he's probably too much like Tom Lees to partner him in defence?! Wages are reportedly only £20k a week but transfer fee would be almost double Elphick's.

Guest Kagoshimaowl
6 hours ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

If we look through the team there are certain posirtions more than others that need players:

Keeper - we're all set there thank you very much.

We need a right back - Hunt is OK but needs competition, while Palmer isn't good enough I'm afraid. Callum Paterson from Hearts has the talent but his present injury trouble would make things difficult.

We need a young centre back to develop, because Loovens isn't getting any younger and Sasso hasn't done enough to prove he can start week in, week out for us yet. Would potentially look at Liam Lindsay from Partick Thistle who's been superb this season, only non Celtic or Aberdeen player to make it into the SPFL team of the year. 

Got too many left backs as it is at present. If any leave then we could potentially think about one but I see it as unlikely.

Right winger - we need a bit of pace and trickery to compete with Wallace. Young Conor Mahoney at Blackburn is out of contract and may not fancy league one after some impressive showings this season, why not try him? McManaman may stay but I won't shed any tears if we don't bring him in, long-term could see him being a bad dressing room influence. One of my ideal signings for this summer would be Jota - one of the best players I've seen in person at Hillsborough, he's absolutely superb.

Central midfield - Hoping for Abdi to contribute more next season, he was starting to look like a top player (that goal at Forest... oof) then he got injured. We've got a lot of central midfielders here but I can't help but wonder if we need a bit of box-to-box strength and presence, it still bugs me to this day that we missed out on Rudy Austin. Aaron Tshibola from Villa may not be a bad shout, or possibly Maikel Kieftenbald from Birmingham. Dream signing would be Jackson Irvine from Burton Albion, he was absolutely superb at Hillsborough.

Left wing - hopefully we stick to playing Forestieri out here next season, but between him and Reach we're all set here. If Forestieri goes or Carlos stays and continues to play him off the striker, wouldn't mind trying to get George Boyd from Burnley, who would fit into Carlos' style well.

Striker - we've got bloody millions and definitely don't need to think about recruiting any more, just offloading some and potentially giving George Hirst a chance in the first team.

Excellent post.  Agree with all this except the Lindsay lad.  That would be a risk. 

35 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

Excellent post.  Agree with all this except the Lindsay lad.  That would be a risk. 

He would be a risk. I'd forgotten about Ecuele Manga at Cardiff, who's not only an absolutely dominant centre back, but he's out of contract. Try him first, if not try someone younger.

Guest hazza88
5 hours ago, spike1867 said:

Jackson Irvine

Tom Lawrence

Jota
Elphick

Pocognoli

Skalak

George Boyd?? Maybe a bit of a long shot but looks like contract talks have stalled at Burnley and he's 31.  Still think he would tear this league a new one.

Great championship player and already has the developed workrate Carlos likes if still in charge

Hutch at centre back next season. Every time he played midfield we played rubbish . 

I'd still sign another centre back, left back (if Fox isn't going to challenge), 2 wingers, and a centre midfielder. 

Get rid of lots that don't ever get in the squad. 

Guest hazza88
5 hours ago, spike1867 said:

Jackson Irvine

Tom Lawrence

Jota
Elphick

Pocognoli

Skalak

Great championship player and already has the developed workrate Carlos likes if still in charge

1 hour ago, Rogers said:

He's not in their team - i think that say it all 

He was injured when Bruce took over. Chester had taken his place & is also an old favourite of Bruce from time at another club.

14 hours ago, Tamworthowl said:

Who ever we bring in must be with the intention of them being in the starting eleven. We don't need any more squad fillers and back ups. Just 3 or 4 quality additions and a few more departures.

I'm sure that's always the intention, but if it forces the player we have to up their game that's also acceptable! 

I dont think Lee was rated a few years ago, every time we've brought in players he's upped his game. 

As long as our squad improves I'm happy. I see this season as the one we trim our squad quite considerably. Forgetting loan players returning I can see 6-10 players going out (many who have been banished already) and only 3-4 coming in. 

Hopefully a few from under 23 get a chance too. Hirst, Penney ... 

For me, I think we need a season of evolution as many have said. If you look at last 25/30 games we were in form of top two side, so that tells me we already have a fantastic squad. That given the football wasn't so fantastic. I'm sure that would have been different with key personal available though. 

Anyhow, I think we need to ditch deadwood and trim the squad down.

Definite Departures: 

Bus

Dilena

Lachman

Mcgugan

Keen 

Not sure if they are definitely still here to be honest, but all of those go and not missed/replaced.

The funds freed up probably enough for a CB such as Manga. 

Possible Departures:

Matias

Melo

Abdi

Jaoa

Winnal (only on list as hard to see him being starter and makes good business if 2/3m bid came in)

All of those have potential (if fit) to be squad/first team members. For differing reasons they haven't made the desired impact as yet. Some may be more beneficial to keep as their value must be dented by last season. However if we lost any of these it could fund / open up space for: 

Irvine

Jota

Then onto the more complicated keeping hold of players, to be fair the only player I can imagine would push for a move is FF however their are two or three that could have their heads turned: 

Fessi 

Westwood

Lees

Lee

Hopper

Whilst Fessi has had an odd season I still think of him as a top player in this league. I'm sure next season if he's here we'll see a variation in the system to play a forward three and have him and Hooper in support of Rhodes/Fletch but if a mega offer came in I'd be less upset to see him leave than any of the other 4. 

If any of the 5 go it will certainly be a miss! Hopefully we have all happy and contracted to ensure any departure that hurts us can fund replacements. 

I would like to see the young lad, Kent (Ryan??) who was on loan at Barnsley last year. 

Fantastic pace pace and must have put 10 very dangerous crosses into our area at Hillsbrough. 

Think he won Barnsley player of the year too.