Starting 11 for next year?

Lots of people seem to be saying where they think we need to improve, but few saying where we are already good enough

So what would be the starting 11 for next year, assuming we can bring in unknown players in specific positions? Even under a new manager, I know there won't usually be a "first choice" 11, but here goes

Westwood

New RB, New CB, Lees, Pudil (I'm not convinced w couldn't improve both wing backs, but the defence has been solid - largely as a result of the defensive tactics, but a complete overhaul would probably be detrimental)

Reach, Abdi, Hutchinson, New winger - Don't like leaving Lee out, or Bannan really, but if Abdi can really get fit and settled I think he offers more creatively. The Hutchinson so the midfield doesn't get overrun

Hooper, Rhodes - Rhodes is proven quality at this level, he didn't do it this year, but I have hopes he will prove it (assuming Boro don't have some sort of clause in the contract where they can get him back). Also, that would leave Forestieri out, but I think we missed Hooper more than we miss him when he isn't available

42 minutes ago, ashamanic said:

Lots of people seem to be saying where they think we need to improve, but few saying where we are already good enough

So what would be the starting 11 for next year, assuming we can bring in unknown players in specific positions? Even under a new manager, I know there won't usually be a "first choice" 11, but here goes

Westwood

New RB, New CB, Lees, Pudil (I'm not convinced w couldn't improve both wing backs, but the defence has been solid - largely as a result of the defensive tactics, but a complete overhaul would probably be detrimental)

Reach, Abdi, Hutchinson, New winger - Don't like leaving Lee out, or Bannan really, but if Abdi can really get fit and settled I think he offers more creatively. The Hutchinson so the midfield doesn't get overrun

Hooper, Rhodes - Rhodes is proven quality at this level, he didn't do it this year, but I have hopes he will prove it (assuming Boro don't have some sort of clause in the contract where they can get him back). Also, that would leave Forestieri out, but I think we missed Hooper more than we miss him when he isn't available

Its hard to forecast what positions are settled, because we don't know how we'll set up. It's more than likely, for example, that a new manager would play just the one striker Not many clubs in the top two divisions play 4-4-2 

Westwood

New Lees Loovens/Hutchinson New

Wallace/Mcmanaman Lee Bannan FF

Rhodes Hooper

Not a massively overhaul needed for me, some pacey additions with a but of flair is very necessary though and actually use them unlike macca/Buckley/mcgeady last season. 

Just now, jrh said:

Westwood

New Lees Loovens/Hutchinson New

Wallace/Mcmanaman Lee Bannan FF

Rhodes Hooper

Not a massively overhaul needed for me, some pacey additions with a but of flair is very necessary though and actually use them unlike macca/Buckley/mcgeady last season. 

Forgot about abdi. But for me any two of Lee, bannan, abdi and hutch are more than good enough. People will go on about that not having much physical presence but we don't need that if we press and get at teams because for example Lee and bannan will cover twice as much ground as most cms.

10 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Its hard to forecast what positions are settled, because we don't know how we'll set up. It's more than likely, for example, that a new manager would play just the one striker Not many clubs in the top two divisions play 4-4-2 

This is true, but I think pretty much everyone agrees we need a center back and most at least one full back

I see a lot of "we need a beast in midfield", "we need a creative midfielder" or "we need a pacy winger" but I'm not sure where they would fit

I'd change the system to play 4-3-3.

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

New Centre Half

Pudil

Lee

Hutchinson

Bannan

Forestieri

Rhodes

Hooper

Forestieri and Hooper would play in and around Rhodes, constantly changing positions and linking the play between the midfield and Rhodes.

Hunt and Pudil would get high up the pitch to provide the width and balls into the box.

Bannan would use his vision to play the forward balls.

Lee would be box-to-box.

Hutchinson would be the holding player who drops into the defence to make a back three when Hunt and Pudil have bombed forward.

38 minutes ago, ashamanic said:

This is true, but I think pretty much everyone agrees we need a center back and most at least one full back

I see a lot of "we need a beast in midfield", "we need a creative midfielder" or "we need a pacy winger" but I'm not sure where they would fit

Yes, I think most agree, we need a left sided centre back. I see Hutchinson as more of an option for central defence, so yes, another ball winner would be needed, but one who was perhaps more creative than Hutch. Depending on which system we played, there may not be a need for another winger. Pace and width could be supplied by the full backs. If that were the case, then there would be an argument for upgrading both full back positions. Playing a single striker, might mean we need to trade in some of our current striking options for a more mobile leader of the line So five signings could do the trick, with perhaps double that leaving

As it stands, id want something like the below to make use of what we have, as with the contracts dished out its likely most will be staying unless we get mammoth offers. 

Westwood

Lees          Hutchinson         New CB

Hunt                                                                                         Reach

Abdi                   New DM/CM

FF

Hooper                 Rhodes/Fletcher

Wouldnt object to 433 either. Lee/Bannan/Abdi/Hutch can all play in a 3 with the forward 3 consisting of FF Hooper and Rhodes/Fletcher. 

Id like us of course to sign some players with more athleticism, power and pace to have another option/set up mind. Hunt needs a challenge for RB and im not convinced at LB. 

7 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

I'd change the system to play 4-3-3.

Westwood

Hunt

Lees

New Centre Half

Pudil

Lee

Hutchinson

Bannan

Forestieri

Rhodes

Hooper

Forestieri and Hooper would play in and around Rhodes, constantly changing positions and linking the play between the midfield and Rhodes.

Hunt and Pudil would get high up the pitch to provide the width and balls into the box.

Bannan would use his vision to play the forward balls.

Lee would be box-to-box.

Hutchinson would be the holding player who drops into the defence to make a back three when Hunt and Pudil have bombed forward.

I like the look of that. I'd worry about Pudil in that system in terms of him having the energy to get back and defend and provide the width.

Obviously without knowing who the manager will be it's hard to say. I'm going to reapond as though it's still Carlos.

We need a left back with pace. Pudil was targeted last night because he is slow. I like him but it's our weakest position. Fox has been up & down but also doesn't have any real pace.

More controversial, and I'd be reluctant, but we need a right midfielder like Wallace but with pace. Ross would still be integral but from the bench.

If Fernando stays we should be looking at a 4231. This formation would get our best players on the pitch & provide a plan B. 

Biggest question would be who plays up front. I'd go Hooper as he can score goals, hold up & link play. He's the best all rounder. 

IMG_6431.thumb.JPG.d4ea5c012959932d63d7a2a92d1a8249.JPG

The only reason I don't have Fletcher in is because I like Winnall as he gives us a different option. He runs channels & gets in behind if you play to his strengths. 

Therefore it was Rhodes or Fletcher. And you just know the £10m player will get the nod. Plus I wouldn't be surprised to see Fletcher sold to lower the wage bill as I still think he will have a few suitors in the Premiership due to his heading ability.