Continuity

I've seen on both Owlstalk and Social Media this morning claims such as "Carlos has to go!!" and "His time is up, get rid". 

For me though, continuity is king. Carvalhal has been a breath of fresh air as a manager: passionate, hard-working, well-spoken... He's made an effort to get to know the fans and create a community atmosphere. Not only that, but when the team has really been clicking, we've been fantastic. Some of the football that has been put on show during Carlos' tenure has been really good to watch.

Yes, we lost last night - but it came down to just two missed penalties. The atmosphere on here could have been completely different had either Hutchinson or Forestieri buried their penalty. And that is the crucial bit here, if. 

Promotion is a game of fine margins. It comes down to who can take chances in big, close games. Who can be consistent and grind out results throughout the season. Just look at Brighton - they took their play-off loss last year, kept their manager and built upon it.

We have the foundations of a fantastic squad. We have experience, know-how and a manager who is constantly learning. There's no point in sacking Carlos and starting again. I think we should stick together, gather our thoughts this off-season and support both the team and this manager next year. 

Honestly, I'll be gutted if Carlos goes. We've had two years of play-off heartbreaks. It's now time for us to push on and aim for the top 2. Some shrewd investment, a slight tweak in our playing style and some pace in the side and there's no reason we can't go one better next year with this manager in charge.

Stick with him and believe that next year is the year!

Edited by MOwl

38 minutes ago, MOwl said:

I've seen on both Owlstalk and Social Media this morning claims such as "Carlos has to go!!" and "His time is up, get rid". 

For me though, continuity is king. Carvalhal has been a breath of fresh air as a manager: passionate, hard-working, well-spoken... He's made an effort to get to know the fans and create a community atmosphere. Not only that, but when the team has really been clicking, we've been fantastic. Some of the football that has been put on show during Carlos' tenure has been really good to watch.

Yes, we lost last night - but it came down to just two missed penalties. The atmosphere on here could have been completely different had either Hutchinson or Forestieri had buried their penalty. And that is the crucial bit here, if. 

Promotion is a game of fine margins. It comes down to who can take chances in big, close games. Who can be consistent and grind out results throughout the season. Just look at Brighton - they took their play-off loss last year, kept their manager and built upon it.

We have the foundations of a fantastic squad. We have experience, know-how and a manager who is constantly learning. There's no point in sacking Carlos and starting again. I think we should stick together, gather our thoughts this off-season and support both the team and this manager next year. 

Honestly, I'll be gutted if Carlos goes. We've had two years of play-off heartbreaks. It's now time for us to push on and aim for the top 2. Some shrewd investment, a slight tweak in our playing style and some pace in the side and there's no reason we can't go one better next year with this manager in charge.

While I'm not shouting for Carlos' time to be up. What makes you think this is suddenly going to happen?

"Shrewd Investment"

We have done nothing but the contrary. Spending huge amounts of money on areas of the team where we were already strong, while ignoring areas that needed attention. We had all our big signings (other than Fletch) on the bench last night; Premier League wingers on big wages on loan, who have barely featured since joining.

I've long maintained that Carlos has little influence on transfer policy; however it is undeniable, that during his tenure our recruitment has been scattergun at best and at worst shocking.

"Tweak to our style of play"

Our tactics this season did change from last. Carlos obviously thought that being difficult to beat was the way to get promoted this season. Despite our upturn in form in the run in being down to employing a more expansive stratergy; when the chips were down last night, he reverted to type.

I don't disagree that continuity is ideally the path to success. I am yet to be convinced that Carlos is capable of making the adjustments you've singled out.

I agree that continuely sacking managers is a crazy strategy in general. However doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results, is truly the definition of madness.

47 minutes ago, MOwl said:

....when the team has really been clicking, we've been fantastic. Some of the football that has been put on show during Carlos' tenure has been really good to watch.

Yes, we lost last night - but it came down to just two missed penalties.

I'm not saying sack him. But......

Some of the football has been good. But some of it, particularly this season, has been awful.

I'd say our failure yesterday came down to more than two missed penalties. We shouldn't have been in the position where that mattered.

I personally favour continuity, but that would necessitate a change of thinking from the coach No reason to doubt he couldn't do that, he's done it before. My concern is, it may be forced on us by Carlos deciding to leave. The lure of the family back home in Portugal, might just be too great. If that were the case, I'd be tempted to approach the current Hull manager, as he has many of the same characteristics as Carlos, but maybe with a few fresh ideas

37 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

I suspect looking at Carlos,s body language last night that his mind is already made up.

Yep, though following such a traumatic defeat, your body language isn't gonna be great Wouldn't surprise me though

59 minutes ago, MOwl said:

Yes, we lost last night - but it came down to just two missed penalties. The atmosphere on here could have been completely different had either Hutchinson or Forestieri buried their penalty. And that is the crucial bit here, if. 

The only continuity we need is Chansiri..Who will eventually get us where we wanna be.

New manager and a decent turn over of players.

UTO

Just now, gurujuan said:

Yep, though following such a traumatic defeat, your body language isn't gonna be great Wouldn't surprise me though

i meant DURING the game to be honest..........................it was very unlike him, not at all animated, just wandering around in a circle looking at the floor.

38 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

i meant DURING the game to be honest..........................it was very unlike him, not at all animated, just wandering around in a circle looking at the floor.

Hmmm

Guest Manwithastick
1 hour ago, MOwl said:

He's not getting sacked. He's going home on his own terms.

5 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Massive pressure on the guy to be fair to him.

Continuity is key but looking at how drab a lot of our performances have been this season (odd statement considering where we finished) does Carlos need to change style slightly? Can he? Will he? I get the feeling he's a bit stubborn. He also favours certain players which must cheese off some others brought into the club.

9 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

When he's animated though it's only when decisions don't go our way. I want an animated manager pulling the strings from the sidelines with in-game management. This is what really bugs me with our current manager, his inability to do this.

23 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

While I'm not shouting for Carlos' time to be up. What makes you think this is suddenly going to happen?

"Shrewd Investment"

We have done nothing but the contrary. Spending huge amounts of money on areas of the team where we were already strong, while ignoring areas that needed attention. We had all our big signings (other than Fletch) on the bench last night; Premier League wingers on big wages on loan, who have barely featured since joining.

I've long maintained that Carlos has little influence on transfer policy; however it is undeniable, that during his tenure our recruitment has been scattergun at best and at worst shocking.

"Tweak to our style of play"

Our tactics this season did change from last. Carlos obviously thought that being difficult to beat was the way to get promoted this season. Despite our upturn in form in the run in being down to employing a more expansive stratergy; when the chips were down last night, he reverted to type.

I don't disagree that continuity is ideally the path to success. I am yet to be convinced that Carlos is capable of making the adjustments you've singled out.

I agree that continuely sacking managers is a crazy strategy in general. However doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results, is truly the definition of madness.

For me there has been some fantastically shrewd business conducted so far: Fletcher on a free, Forestieri for £3m, Jack Hunt for £1m, Barry Bannan on a free, Sam Winnall for around 500k and so on. There have of course been some flops, but on the whole I think we have made some good signings and it is now about keeping our best players, getting rid of ones that haven't worked out (Joao, Matias, Emmanuelson), getting rid of players who just frankly aren't good enough (Nuhiu, Semedo etc), then bringing in the players who will make the difference next year. We don't need lots of signings, 4/5 real top quality players in at most. 

As for the tweaking, I think we're in a transitional phase at the moment. It's been said lots already, but Carlos saw Hull last year and how they outplayed us and tried to replicate them. It hasn't quite worked out this season - the football for large parts has been dull, we haven't turned up and there have been games we should have won/got a result but bottled. 

We're a work in progress. It would be a mistake for me to get rid of him at this stage... Too often people in football, especially fans, are impatient for success. Fact is, there's only three teams a year that can go up and for the two we've been in with a shout all we've realistically achieved is a 3 game shoot-out against 3 other teams. Next year we have to push for automatic, it's as simple as that. If we don't, then I agree he needs to go. But for now, stick with him and believe in him because he's a good guy and he has done nothing but good things for us up to now.

6 minutes ago, MOwl said:

Massive pressure on the guy to be fair to him.

Pressure or not, thats where you need your leader to guide you not just hands in pockets walking around.

Wagner brought a sub on last night, he was in his ear gettin his player pumped up, rubbing his shoulders and firing him up. He was constantly barking orders.

That use to be our Carlos. He's gone this season for some reason. 

Maybe that is why he stays at clubs for a year, he sees it as a years project. If he can't do owt he moves on. 

1 hour ago, MOwl said:

Pretty much took the words out of my mouth. Far rather build on the excellent foundation we now have than ditch it all and start again.

2 minutes ago, tuttuttut said:

Pressure or not, thats where you need your leader to guide you not just hands in pockets walking around.

Wagner brought a sub on last night, he was in his ear gettin his player pumped up, rubbing his shoulders and firing him up. He was constantly barking orders.

That use to be our Carlos. He's gone this season for some reason. 

Maybe that is why he stays at clubs for a year, he sees it as a years project. If he can't do owt he moves on. 

Personally I think he's had enough and he's gone this morning

But..... This year's Huddersfield were us last year. Full of belief and fight to win the game, whereas we are currently last year's Brighton, lots of pressure to win and crumbled slightly when it mattered. Fair play to them, they got the job done last night did Hudders, doesn't mean we need drastic changes now.