In the cold light of day.

Having slept on that defeat overnight, still obviously feeling gutted.  

We have to concede that the better team won over two legs. Apart from the occasional 10 minutes of Wednesday dominance,  either our tactics were wrong or Huddersfield's tactics were superior.   In my opinion it was our tactics that were badly lacking. 

Our defence was solid. Our midfield was lacking therefor inviting Huddersfield to come and attack at our ground, and FF was played totally in the wrong place. FF should of played in in front of the midfield picking up the ball rather than hoping for Fletcher and rhoad's  knock downs. I don't believe rhoads is knock downs are part of his game. 

With the strikeforce we have this year, I think our side would've steamrolled Huddersfield if they are clearly at last years tactics. 

Sometimes, fortune favours the brave.

Good luck Huddersfield in the final you deserve to be there. Wagner, well done with the resources at your disposal. 

Our tactics are what have unlitmately killed us this season. 

Carlos has seen the likes of Burnley, Middlesbrough and Hull get promoted playing boring defensive football and it's worked for them. 

That style of effeicient football ball is fine providing you have the players to do it. If that's the way he wanted to go, midfielders of that ilk should have been brought in. 

Instead, we've shoehorned players in to rolls they aren't used to playing and signed forwards not suited to that system. 

It's no coincidence the likes of Bannan, Lee, Wallace and such like have been pretty average compared to last season and we have an embarrassment of riches up front that don't look like scoring. 

You have to play systems that suit the players you have to get the best out of them, so you either player to your squads strength or bring players in to suit how you want to play. Carlos has got it wrong on both counts this season and only has himself to blame. 

Edited by LoadABallacks

My cold light of day is same as my red hot emotion of last night, a change is now required, new thinking, youth, pace and a momentum boost. 

I believe Wagner and Stam have shown a new way to play in the championship, a style thought previously to be not suited to our league has been successful. I believe this is the future and will bring success and I think chansiri will too.

In the cold light of day. We were lucky to get to penalties, for that team to perform that badly over 2 games is totally unacceptable. But that's now history.

Line in the sand time, deep breath required. 

Then start again, new manager, more investment, give Jordan back to Middlesbrough. 

2 minutes ago, Geedee said:

In the cold light of day. We were lucky to get to penalties, for that team to perform that badly over 2 games is totally unacceptable. But that's now history.

Line in the sand time, deep breath required. 

Then start again, new manager, more investment, give Jordan back to Middlesbrough

A pre season and a change of tactics and we have a provern goal scorer.

Would be madness to get rid of him.

The problem with most of the analysis, is that, yes the better team won over two legs, but that hasn't always been the case. Annoyingly, we've actually succeeded on many occasions when the better team actually lost. I say annoyingly, only because the relative success we achieved by playing this way, encouraged us to stick with it. Ultimately, the way we play, was actually our undoing

Their tactics compounded our negative play. They pressed early and had someone on our midfielders preventing a simple forward ball. That meant someone (Bannan) dropping in between the centre halves to pick the ball up or a long ball to either a speculative wing run or more often Fletcher.

Go a goal up and take off the main focal point for getting out from the back. Genius. We'd already lost Wallace for the speculative wing run option. Winnall should have come on, Christ, he'd have been better bringing Nuhiu on for Fletcher than Rhodes, or just leave Fletcher on. I can only assume he was hoping to play on the break but you need to ball for that and we hadn't seen it much all night.

The thing that annoys me is that imo we have a better squad with much more talent, we did the double over them during the season, yet over the 2 legs we just looked 2nd best for the majority. Tactics where to negative and that really winds me up, yet again so close to the Premiership and we have blown it again :-(

50 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

The thing that annoys me is that imo we have a better squad with much more talent, we did the double over them during the season, yet over the 2 legs we just looked 2nd best for the majority. Tactics where to negative and that really winds me up, yet again so close to the Premiership and we have blown it again :-(

Because our huge squad is made up of players who can't form a team that matches their individual talents Part of this is down to the missing ingredients, injured players, yes, but more importantly, the pieces of the jigsaw we needed to bring in. The main fault though is, the ad hoc nature of the signings. Just sticking to the big money signings for the moment. What was the thinking behind the recruitment of Abdi, Reach, Jones, Winnall and Rhodes? Did we need them, and how did we envisage fitting them into the side. For me, it was telling that not one of them started last night

Edited by gurujuan