Moving Forward... next years system and players.

So, this isn't in anyway a negative thread... it's more about how we now need to really push on after two near misses.

What system would you play, and who would you let go/sell?  And who realistically would you like to see come in?

For me the i view the squad like this...

Keepers - Fine... send Dawson out on loan.  Keep Westwood at all costs, Play Wildsmith in the cups.

Right Back - I actually don't think this is a priority.  Most teams would be happy with Palmer or Hunt at this level.  So I'd keep both.

Left Back - I like Pudil, but I think he's at a dangerous age for a fullback... too many injurys...and only gonna lose more pace, so as much as it pains me to say it...time to go I'm afraid. Fox seems like decent cover. But we need a new left back.

Center Backs - Loovens now purely relies on his positional sense, so worth keeping as a 3rd of 4th choice.  Lees we need to keep hold of.  Sasso decent 3rd or 4th choice.  We desperately need a  new center half.  Preferably with experience, without being old.  That would be a strong 4.

Central Midfield - Need to keep Lee.  More so than any other player we have.  Bannan on his day can run games.  Hutch adds bite.  Thats a good three if you play the right system.    We need to add a big commanding box to box player.  We basically need a lee/hutch hybrid.  Then the rest of the central midfielders can go, Abdi, LM and Jones etc.  Maybe keep Semedo in some kinda coaching role if he's ready to hang up his boots.

Wide Players - Where to start.... We need a player with Wallace's Brain/Technique and Reach's pace/endeavour... combined.  I'd keep them both and add two more.  For me Forestieri can leave (and not because of the miss, or his antics earlier in the season)... I just think he is a bit of a luxury.  If he's not on it.. he's a waste of a shirt.  When he is on it, he can win a game.  These days he just seems to spend a lot of his time disappearing from games tho.  Also when played out wide, he offers little support to his fullback.

Forwards.  We have way too many.  We need someone like Fletcher but younger, so he can go.  Nuhui can now go for me.  Love the guy but isn't gonna push us on realistically.  Winnall looks decent and seems a natural finisher, Rhodes has to be given a season with a system that suits him.  He's been outstanding at this level before and can be again. Hooper has proved he has his worth recently, but honestly I'd sell him while we can. As for Young Hirst, he either needs to go out on loan or see a few games next season, cos other clubs will start to move for him sooner or later.  I don't think we need to sign anyone up top.

Now for the system.  Firstly, whoever is in charge, they need to play players in their natural positions.  

Wit the current squad i'd do this

Westwood

Hunt       Lees       New Player       New Player

Hutch or New Player

Bannan

Lee

New Player                                       Reach

Rhodes

In possession the fullbacks push on and Hutch drops in to make a back three.  Bannan dictates tempo, Lee supports Rhodes.  Wide men are given the task of getting past their men and getting ball into box, and encouraged to attack the far post when crosses come in from other side. Rhodes will thrive, and Lee will be there for cutbacks.  When not in possession, front three press and the rest can hold there shape, with Lee doing his usual energetic antics.

I know this all sounds a bit "Football manager"...but most of the pieces are there, and rather than focussing on a loss, I just thought I'd look forward a bit.

What are everyone else's thoughts?

Sorry this turned into a bit of an essay.

Edited by Kraschenbern

Abdi, Bannan, Lee, Hutch, FF.

Sone midfield on paper. For me, there is a way to get all our best players ( in my opinion) on the pitch at the same time, but it needs a change in formation.

Our fullbacks offer very little. Get rid.

3 at the back is the way forward. Lees, Hutch possibly and a new signing.

2 holding midfielders, or Bannan and Hutch.

3 in front of them, Abdi, FF and Lee, with Hoops and Rhodes up front.

So with what we have at the moment, it would be -:

Westwood

Hutch, Lees, Loovens

Bannan Jones

Lee  Abdi. FF

Rhodes Hooper

2 minutes ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Sone midfield on paper. For me, there is a way to get all our best players ( in my opinion) on the pitch at the same time, but it needs a change in formation.

Westwood

Hutch, Lees, Loovens

Bannan Jones

Lee  Abdi. FF

Rhodes Hooper

While I see what you're getting at, Do you not think that we'd be extremely exposed from out wide when defending?

Got the players.

Had the system for six games.

Sadly, got the manager that can't see a gift-horse when it's wrapped by Harrods and handed to him on a polished silver salver.

Edited by Holmowl

6 minutes ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Westwood

Hutch, Lees, Loovens

Bannan Jones

Lee  Abdi. FF

Rhodes Hooper

I can see your point but there would be absolutely zero width to that team.

The crux for me is the system We need to find a way of playing that does a little bit more than try and negate the oppositions strengths. Can we find a system that plays to the strengths of our big money signings. At the moment, the way we play is nominally a 4-4-2 system, so it doesn't really suit the likes of Forestieri or Abdi However, it doesn't really suit the likes of Winnall or Rhodes because our wide players don't operate as wide players, mainly on instruction, because we don't have a combative central pairing. Everything about the current system is a compromise 

We don't p!ay with width now !!!! 

If we are going to play a traditional 442, we can no longer do it with wide players who don't give us width and attack.

Look at the players we currently have. Can anyone hand on heart say that last night's line up gave us any balance whatsoever.

I don't have the definitive answer but playing Abdi, Lee, Bannan, FF and Hutch dictates a change of system.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

The crux for me is the system We need to find a way of playing that does a little bit more than try and negate the oppositions strengths. Can we find a system that plays to the strengths of our big money signings. At the moment, the way we play is nominally a 4-4-2 system, so it doesn't really suit the likes of Forestieri or Abdi However, it doesn't really suit the likes of Winnall or Rhodes because our wide players don't operate as wide players, mainly on instruction, because we don't have a combative central pairing. Everything about the current system is a compromise 

I think that pretty much sums it up.

We don't really know what we are. Everything's a bit of a mismatch. 

Spine of the team is great. Need to completely change the fullbacks and wide men for me. All new full backs and then keep Wallace and forestieri (but actually play him on the left!!) and add some pace in wide areas. I'd love to have seen mcmanaman given a bit more of a chance. 

1 minute ago, s6 owl said:

And certainly don't want Reach near the starting XI next season absolute garbage

I think played out wide and told to enjoy himself, and with a bit of confidence he will be decent. I currently think they have him playing about three roles simultaneously, can't be good for him.  I do agree he could have definitely done a bit better this season tho.  His decision making has been poor at times, but again that's because I think he has too much to think about at once.

38 minutes ago, Kraschenbern said:

I think played out wide and told to enjoy himself, and with a bit of confidence he will be decent. I currently think they have him playing about three roles simultaneously, can't be good for him.  I do agree he could have definitely done a bit better this season tho.  His decision making has been poor at times, but again that's because I think he has too much to think about at once.

Not his biggest fan, but there's truth in what you say re his role

46 minutes ago, aeroswfc said:

4-4-2 attacking with creativity.

Not my preferred system, I must admit, but if we're going to play it, do it in the way that Brighton do it. The problem is, that would require a lot of changes. We don't have a central two who offer the right balance between being combative, and at the same time creative. When we play Lee/Bannan, perhaps the best pairing, they aren't strong enough so we have to play the wingers narrow. Also, our wingers, as well as being asked to help out the centre midfield, aren't fast and direct like Brighton's Finally up front, do we really have a pairing that would work? There's much to think about, if we want to play that way

----------Westwood--------

---Lees---Hutch---New---

New-Lee-Bannan-Reach

--------------FF------------

-----Rhodes----Hooper---

FF is key. Most talented player we have had since relegation from the Prem. Play him in a free role behind front two.

Not been impressed with Rhodes. He seems incredibly slow and not on the same wave length as most of the other team. Only have him starting due to his price tag. Can't have a ten million player on the bench.

Ideally we would play the same system as Chelsea with FF and someone incredibly quick and creative playing behind Hooper. 

Edited by Yoshihiro Sunbeam

I think Carlos has had two seasons teaching the squad what he is after....how to win however the other the team play...we've got it right a few times but to be able to do it when we need it will take some more intelligent players than we've got...looking forward to seeing these players next season

There's a lot more to football than saying get past your man and put a ball in the box and attack the back post. You have got to find ways of getting your players into these position from a certain move that all the players have learnt. And also formations don't really exist. Fans and pundits it use it because it looks interesting but it means absolutely nothing.