Remaining objective and where did it go wrong?

I'm not going to bash CC, he'll be hurting as much as anyone else right now. If he decides to stay he'll have 100% of my support. Alternately if he decides enough is enough I'm excited about the next chapter of our progression. No doubt that our club is an attractive proposition to managers throughout the game.

For me, we lost this in the first leg, the result was good but we showed them way too much respect, they should have feared us, instead we were the ones looking afraid, that only served to fuel their belief and they carried that in to tonight. They should have been dreading a visit to S6, that's a given.

We didn't move the ball quick enough.

we didn't play to feet enough and work he ball through the thirds

we didn't get it wide or play it in behind their full backs

there was acres of space between or midfield and forward line

we were too happy to sit deep.

certain players have the worrying tendency to ball watch which against a team like udders who move the ball quickly is suicide.

Last season we were a more attractive attacking side, playing on the front foot, lauded by pundits and fans alike.

But, at Wembley, we eventually came up short against a powerful and physically strong Hull side.

i do wonder if Carlos, reflecting on that game, decided he needed to tighten things up a bit, and in doing so we lost something along the way?

Our new signings, whilst looking good on paper, haven't necessarily made us a better team. A stronger squad, definitely, but a better team? Probably not.

Huddersfield were the better team over the two legs, more offensive and with a clear game plan.

4 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I'm not going to bash CC, he'll be hurting as much as anyone else right now. If he decides to stay he'll have 100% of my support. Alternately if he decides enough is enough I'm excited about the next chapter of our progression. No doubt that our club is an attractive proposition to managers throughout the game.

For me, we lost this in the first leg, the result was good but we showed them way too much respect, they should have feared us, instead we were the ones looking afraid, that only served to fuel their belief and they carried that in to tonight. They should have been dreading a visit to S6, that's a given.

Recruitment

We've brought in players who are arguably upgrades over existing personnel, signed a handful of wingers, yet the team that started today, with the notable exception of the goalscorer, were part of the squad that missed out at Wembley last year. We all know which areas of the team need improvement, and we've failed to bring any decent upgrades in those positions.

Rhodes and Winnall have not been as involved as I would have liked either, and Almen Abdi's lack of appearances is borderline criminal.

Tactics

We've adopted a rigid, inflexible 4-4-2 system which, admittedly, makes us resilient as hell at the back, but which relies on inch-perfect distribution to forwards who can hold up the ball to give other players time to sprint forward in support. Our distribution from the back has been something of a lottery, and our hold up play is frustrating to say the least. Reach stands out as one of the worst offenders in this department. He's an attacking cul-de-sac at times.

Use of subs

How many times have we been crying out for a bit of pace and trickery, someone who can take a man on or who provides much-needed energy late in the game, only to see Nuhui taking off his jacket to lumber around ineffectively and give away (unfairly 99% of the time) fouls when challenging for the ball? We have a couple of youngsters champing at the bit to get a chance in the limelight, and a fired up McManaman who has a touch of class, yet has played about 10 minutes all season.

There's so much more, and then some. But I can't criticise Carlos and co too harshly. He did brilliantly last year with the resources he had at his disposal, but he hasn't quite lived up to that this year, despite the superior points tally. I just wonder what's happened to "we have no word for clean sheet in Portugese", because we don't look like we're even trying to score at times.

On the summer shopping list

At least 1 new CB.

2 wingers with the ability to take people on.

A new LB.

Stripes.

Perhaps a replacement for Carlos, but I'm kinda on the fence on this one. He's ultimately accountable for the success (or lack thereof) of the club, and we've improved on last year's finish. Part of me wants to give him another year, but another part believes this would be an opportune time to introduce some new ideas.

Whatever happens, we'll all be back here next season, cheering and jeering every kick, slide, head, catch and punch of the ball. This wasn't our season, but I remain convinced we're on our way back.

WAWAW?! UTO!

22 minutes ago, Chris Bart-Wilson said:

We should have had more of a go when we scored. Should be on for auto next season with or without CC. Hope he stays tho as Brighton have shown this season sticking with Hughton after going out at home in semis last season. UTO

You cannot compare the fight Brighton went out with last year to our whimpering performance this year.  We are a world away from that sort of drive and determination. 

We didn't lose it tonight, in truth we lost it by not playing to our strengths over the whole season. After the Hull defeat, Carlos obviously decided he wanted a more cautious approach, and you could say it nearly worked. Was it worth it, to sacrifice the entertainment to finish two places higher? Not in my opinion, and I hope Carlos has a rethink about how he sets us up.

Not at all negative about it though, a little disappointed by the defeat, but the higher league placing and the progress made by the U18s and U23s, shows that we are on the right lines

three centre mids across the middle, negative tactics. Changed tactics thats worked well over the last remaining fixtures, anyone with a brain would not have gone back to last seasons tactics. Fed up of coming away from good positions watching the ball get played back to lees/loovens to start again. 

Went wrong when we kept Carlos after Villa.

He was so lucky that we got key injuries and the team picked itself. Once the players got fit and gave him a choice he utterly fooooked it up.

Edited by Holmowl

1 hour ago, Morepork said:

Sorry but he won't get 1% of mine.

Wasted a golden season.

Too negative by far.