Murphy and Hanley

Darryl Murphy and Grant Hanley have both been put up for sale by Newcastle, and both have been of interest to us in recent times. Two good signing for a Championship club, which will hopefully rule us out. Both would be of interest to us though, were we to slip up again

38 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Hanley maybe, but if we go for a striker I'd expect us to go for someone quick 

That would be my preference. We talk about getting pace into the side, signing quick wingers, but that is unlikely to happen, given the role of wingers in our side. It would have to be pace up top, a more polished version of Joao perhaps

3 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

Hanley maybe, but if we go for a striker I'd expect us to go for someone quick 

Why would we have to go for someone quick?

Are we afraid that Wilder will get in first if we don't seal the deal?

:manager:

Most of us said no thanks to the aging one season wonder Murphy a couple of years ago.

We've massively improved our squad since then, he's had another 2 years of doing virtually nothing apart from reaching 34 years old, so where on earth would he fit in? 

I always thought the aim when you sign new players was to improve on what you already have ......I suppose sasso may well be leaving and hanley could replace him but It would be an awful lot of money to pay for a back up ..as for murphy is he better than what we have ,I doubt it .

I used to rate Hanley when he was at Blackburn but then was surprised to hear Blackburn fans say they were glad he's gone. In their first season without him they've been relegated so they may have changed their mind now 

A big and strong centre back is what we need to sign in the summer so if Carlos still rates Hanley I wouldn't object to him being signed. Tho if rumours are to be believed Carlos won't be here if we don't go up! 

:duntmatter:

Hanley's still a very good Championship centre back and I'd have him in a heartbeat. Newcastle have only left him on the bench because of Clark and Lascelles.

Murphy is miles past it now, but he's been Newcastle's Nuhiu this season - someone to throw on and make the other team panic. I'd take him if he was free and didn't ask for a massive wage.

Hanley's wages will be very high and no doubt he will cost 5-6 million as well. He hasn't done enough over the last 12 months to be worth a punt. There will be quality players coming onto the market over the next few weeks so we should be patient until we see what division we will be playing in.

As for Murphy, getting on a bit now, will command a 3-4 million pound fee, and  we have a surfeit of forwards as it is.  Pass!