Jim Smith a Wednesdayite?

Was chatting to him the other day, as he lives on the same road as me in Oxford. I've spoken to him before about Wednesday, as I knew he was a Wednesday fan growing up in Shiregreen. He is a really nice bloke, and isn't involved with football, in any capacity anymore.

What surprised me, was his lack of interest in Wednesday, and football in general. He didn't know who our manager was, or how we were doing this season. It's funny when you meet people, who have been involved in the game, but they have no real interest in it. Have met a few like that, some are really good players, and have a talent, but no interest in football whatsoever

I always find this a strange one as you would automatically expect ex pro's to still have an interest in the game !

Can't be a Wednesdayite if he doesn't have any idea how we are doing etc !

I have always liked Jim Smith. I knew he went to Firth Park school and was a big Wednesday fan.

Was Ron Atkinson special guest at the 1991 League Cup Final I think I read somewhere and his boyhood hero was Albert Quixall

When Graham Taylor died I read that he had gone off the modern game as he thought things like money, agents, greedy players, forigen owners etc has spoiled professional football. I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Smith feels the same way. 

44 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I have always liked Jim Smith. I knew he went to Firth Park school and was a big Wednesday fan.

Was Ron Atkinson special guest at the 1991 League Cup Final I think I read somewhere and his boyhood hero was Albert Quixall

When Graham Taylor died I read that he had gone off the modern game as he thought things like money, agents, greedy players, forigen owners etc has spoiled professional football. I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Smith feels the same way. 

Actually, there was a bit of this. He wasn't keen on foreign owners, or foreign players, come to that. Didn't want to mention that, as I thought it might come across that he was some sort of xenophobe Genuinely think he was just disillusioned with the game

14 minutes ago, TANGLED UP IN BLUE said:

Sure I remember reading Antonio was same, no interest in football apart from playing and didn't watch other games? Seems bizarre.

It's quite common I reckon. Remember that Tottenham full back - Assou-Ekotto - talking very dispassionately about it being merely a well paid job and not something he enjoys. Nothing inaccurate with him describing it as a job, just fans by their very nature want players to feel about the game and their club like they do.

Waddle has previously commented that young players watch very little football, when watching and studying it can obviously be a big help. 

17 minutes ago, TANGLED UP IN BLUE said:

Sure I remember reading Antonio was same, no interest in football apart from playing and didn't watch other games? Seems bizarre.

I always find it strange when I meet people who say they like playing football but don't like watching it. Especially when they are quite good players. I'm not talking about girls here