Huddersfiled might appeal Wards red card

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-could-yet-face-huddersfield-town-keeper-danny-ward-despite-red-card-against-cardiff-city-1-8531208

Sheffield Wednesday could yet face Huddersfield Town keeper Danny Ward despite red card against Cardiff City

Huddersfield Town keeper Danny Ward was sent off against Cardiff City

Chris Holt

Email

Huddersfield Town are contemplating appealing against the red card given to Danny Ward, which could keep the goalkeeper out of the play-off semi-final against Sheffield Wednesday.

Ward, who is on loan at the Terriers from Liverpool, was given a red card for an alleged hand ball outside the box during their final game of the season against Cardiff City, which David Wagner's side went on to lose 3-0.

Huddersfield Town manager David Wagner

Wagner said afterwards that he would look closely at the video before deciding if it is worthy of an appeal. As things stand, the Welsh stopper is due to miss the first leg against the Owls at the John Smith's Stadium on Sunday.

Wagner said: "I haven't seen the video again but Danny says he touched the ball with his shoulder, not his arms or his hand. If we can clearly see the referee made the wrong decision, then we will appeal."

The Terriers boss was under-fire last week for making ten changes in his side's defeat to relegation-threatened Birmingham City, but stand-in stopper Joel Coleman played in that match, giving Wagner the opportunity for some justification.

"What happened with Danny Ward is why it was good to bring in some fresh players for the Birmingham game," he said."Joel Coleman played in goal against Birmingham and has had more minutes to work on his body shape and fitness."

Looks about as clear cut as possible , probably hoping saying they might appeal will hinder Carlos a tiny bit in his planning.

It won't though and as others have said it doesn't matter who they play really, different if Buffon was their first choice or something lol.

2 minutes ago, Owly Mowly said:

But their reserve keeper has only played 5 games, and Wagner made a comment about playing him against Birmingham to help him get into shape!! He don't sound very ready to me!!

Well, let me put it in another context.

And maybe we are spoiled a little here, i'm not sure - but I personally would not be totally upset if Westwood were injured going into a game at Wembley for instance.  

Especially after a good showing today by Wildsmith.   However this isn't about our keepers - any keeper coming in will look to play a blinder, every time.   They get one shot usually.  

Plus keepers generally are crazy people.   Who would want to be a keeper?   Not me!

After that ramble, my thoughts are basically - the game will be won or lost by the ten in play, not the men between the sticks.

1 hour ago, salmonbones said:

Well, let me put it in another context.

And maybe we are spoiled a little here, i'm not sure - but I personally would not be totally upset if Westwood were injured going into a game at Wembley for instance.

Weapons-grade lunacy.

Seriously?!

I'd be about five times as nervous.

Edited by Mr. Tom

At the risk of looking like I'm defending 'Udds, the manager said they'd look at it after 'keepers comments and if they agreed it hit his shoulder they'd consider an appeal. 

So, no appeal then and he's suspended for one match. Think it would be looked upon very dimly if they did appeal and likely get an extra ban for vexatious appeal. If it did happen, I'd also expect any appeal to be dealt with during the week given the circumstances, meaning there's not a lot of point if they think they can get another match out of him before penalty. 

Edited by themaskedowl