Interesting how our recent upturn in results has coincided with moving back towards a 433. 

Started away at Rotherham and in other recent wins we've had to switch to 3 strikers to get the result. 

I wonder if that's purely down to Carlos feeling the pressure and taking a gamble or if he now thinks (as many of us have thought for a while) that it suits the players we have more.

Hooper's also playing a slightly different role now, sitting deeper and linking play. Before he was just deployed as an out-and-out striker who very rarely dropped back into midfield.

Edited by MOwl
Grammar

Hooper has been fantastic since his return, but it's a bit reductionist to say it's down to him or even largely down to him. 

Fletcher nearly doubling his goal-tally for the entire season in the space of a month has had just as much bearing, Reach coming out of his shell probably not quite as much of a factor but still a contributor. Hunt finally showing that he's a good attacking fullback has turned the corner since that cross, and Pudil playing at a level that I think transcends last season after a long lay-off/rest have all been factors. Oh yeah, and to reiterate, Hooper has been bloody fantastic too...

Carlos played a hybrid system last season which turned into a 4-3-3 during games.

This year it's been a bit more rigid 4-4-2 (not as exciting but got results.) 

Then this last quarter at the same time that a few players come back from injury......the hybrid system returns...

No coincidence , I don't think. 

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

Carlos played a hybrid system last season which turned into a 4-3-3 during games.

This year it's been a bit more rigid 4-4-2 (not as exciting but got results.) 

Then this last quarter at the same time that a few players come back from injury......the hybrid system returns...

No coincidence , I don't think. 

This^^^^^^^

The other thing I've seen more of this season, which I don't particularly like, is the attempt to shut up shop by bringing Semedo on

Not criticising Carlos, it is working, but it's making the end of games very nervy.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Five of our last 10 goals have come with 3 strikers on the pitch.

Barnsley 1 Winnall Rhodes

Rotherham 2 Hooper Rhodes Fletcher

Newcastle 2 Rhodes Fletcher

Cardiff 1 Nuhiu Rhodes FF

QPR 2 Rhodes Hooper

Derby 2 Hooper Rhodes Fletcher

On another thread I called the 3 striker option a Plan B, which many have bemoaned we lack all season. 

Given that 50% of our recent goals have come from having 2 strikers, and 50% from having 3 strikers, maybe we now have a Plan B.

I don't think it can be stated enough that one of the major reasons things are clicking is that the full backs are in form and providing width and threat.  This allows us to play with 3 CMs or a diamond or whatever you want to call it. It makes us tighter in the middle and less easy to break down and gives us numbers in attack.  Kieran Lee coming back increases that threat.

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

QPR 2 Rhodes Hooper

On another thread I called the 3 striker option a Plan B, which many have bemoaned we lack all season. 

Given that 50% of our recent goals have come from having 2 strikers, and 50% from having 3 strikers, maybe we now have a Plan B.

Rhodes has been on the pitch for our last 10 goals - just saying!

1 hour ago, spike1867 said:

I don't think it can be stated enough that one of the major reasons things are clicking is that the full backs are in form and providing width and threat.  This allows us to play with 3 CMs or a diamond or whatever you want to call it. It makes us tighter in the middle and less easy to break down and gives us numbers in attack.  Kieran Lee coming back increases that threat.

You are right, the full backs are in form and offering a threat, but was it the form that was missing early season, or was it that the system we were playing didn't allow them to get forward as much? I think both Hunt and Pudil came in for some unjustified criticism early doors.

Edited by someone in my head

17 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Rhodes has been on the pitch for our last 10 goals - just saying!

How about this one...

Of the 25 goals we have scored since Rhodes signed, how many have we scored while he was not on the pitch?

None

He has played 1194 minutes and sat out only 246, but still that's quite something.

2 hours ago, Holmowl said:

QPR 2 Rhodes Hooper

Well I wouldn't include the Barnsley game as I don't believe we played with 3 strikers. 

Im talking about the Rotherham game when Carlos sprung a surprise with Rhodes/Hooper/Fletcher all starting. 

The question is, was that a gamble from a manager who was under a little bit of pressure and thought sod it im going for it, or more of a deliberate shift towards what we all thought was Carlos' philosophy when he first arrived? 

19 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

How about this one...

Of the 25 goals we have scored since Rhodes signed, how many have we scored while he was not on the pitch?

None

He has played 1194 minutes and sat out only 246, but still that's quite something.

I love a good stat, and by jiminy that's a good one 

4 minutes ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Well I wouldn't include the Barnsley game as I don't believe we played with 3 strikers. 

Im talking about the Rotherham game when Carlos sprung a surprise with Rhodes/Hooper/Fletcher all starting. 

The question is, was that a gamble from a manager who was under a little bit of pressure and thought sod it im going for it, or more of a deliberate shift towards what we all thought was Carlos' philosophy when he first arrived? 

You misunderstand. I listed the last six games and named the two or three strikers on the field st the times we scored. Against Barnsley it was two strikers.

Of our last ten goals, five came when we had two strikers on, and five when we had three on.

I think against Rotherham he was virtually a dead-man walking. We were dying on our arse. He had to shake the tree and playing Hooper, Rhodes and Fletch did the trick.

Since them, he has added the third striker twice, late on (Cardiff and Derby) because we were in desperate need of a goal.

So he has done it three times, and it has worked three times.

Got to call that terrific management.

1 hour ago, spike1867 said:

Not just the fullbacks but a few others have increased their performance levels and consistency recently. 

Consistency has been a major issue this season for most players. That's one of the reasons why I've always defended Carlos and felt some of the criticism levelled at him was ridiculous.

The players needed to take some responsibility and thankfully many of them have.

33 minutes ago, someone in my head said:

You are right, the full backs are in form and offering a threat, but was it the form that was missing early season, or was it that the system we were playing didn't allow them to get forward as much? I think both Hunt and Pudil came in for some unjustified criticism early doors.

Tbf early on in the season Pudil looked like" his legs had gone ". Really don't know what the problem was or what's happened to rectify it but he looks back to the form that made us sign him. Regarding Hunt some of his crossing and decision making was abysmal early in the season but he's obviously worked at it with the coaching staff and been excellent for a few weeks now.

It's really made a difference well done to the pair of them and the coaching staff.