The Owls vs Derby County. Official Matchday Thread.

BJyDHtd.png          ldBuk6y.png                

Hillsborough Stadium, Sheffield 

15:00 Saturday, 22 April 2017

TODAY’S OPPOSITES

By the dawn of the 19th century, sheep molesting had largely fallen out of favour in the British Isles. There were still isolated areas where it continued to be practiced however, most notably Derbyshire and South Wales.

What to the rest of us sounds frankly disgusting was actually considered as a sport by its enthusiasts. The challenge was not so much the act itself, but rather the ability to hang on for dear life when the surprised animal suddenly bolted. For most, the adventure ended quickly. Bruised, bloody and muddy at the bottom of a hill, the participants would pick themselves up, take a big gulp of whisky and try again.

9S2ZdAY.jpg

Reg Nugent was Derbyshire’s champion. He would mount his steed of choice and ride it to the finish line without fail. He came up with a gimmick where spectators could also prod him with long poles in the hope of dislodging him from the sheep. Not a chance. Reg earned a fortune by betting on himself. Eventually he provoked the fans to prod harder as he dressed up for his performance in a top hat and fine silk tuxedo (minus the trousers of course).

OmN7brN.jpg

Loved by his fans, Reg was despised by the establishment. Police raids became commonplace, as did the one shilling and sixpence fines he regularly had to pay. He didn’t mind that though, money was no longer an issue. Eventually, Queen Victoria stepped in and declared sheep molesting to be an offence punishable by hanging. Devastated but still very, very wealthy, Reg was inconsolable and locked himself in a darkened bedroom for several days. 

A few weeks later, he received an interesting letter from the Cardiff based inventor, Daffyd Jones who had constructed a prototype mechanical sheep. Jones invited Nugent to come and test it at his works. Reg was elated, he would be able to continue his beloved hobby without falling foul of the law. He promptly hired six horse drawn carriages for himself, his luggage and team of (by now) professional prodders and set off to Wales.

The wonderous machine was a sight to behold, of brass, leather and Bakelite construction with steam powered pistons to simulate even the roughest terrain. Aroused at once by the inviting and authentic looking mounting hole, Reg whipped off his trousers and was ready to go. “Not yet, Mr Nugent. I see you are very eager to try the beastie out, but first we have to get it going”. Jones smiled and gestured that Reg might remained dressed for a while.

sLTnbUT.jpg

Jones’ assistants soon had the furnace going and a nice head of steam was built up. It seemed like an age to poor Reg. Finally he sprang into action and leapt onto the shuddering contraption. He rode the machine for a good 15 minutes, shrieking with delight before summoning his prodders. They approached warily, fear in their eyes. Suddenly, there was a loud hiss of escaping steam. This startled one of the prodders who jabbed his pole wildly, destroying the safety mechanism on the engine. Now completely out of control, the pistons went beserk. Reg held on for a couple more minutes before being hurled about 45 yards, clear over a barn and into a freezing cold lake.

Recovering from pneumonia in hospital, Reg heard with great interest about a new sport that was becoming very popular. On his return to Derby in February 1884, he founded his own football club which he named The Rams.

And that’s how we come to be playing them today.

MATCHDAY THINGS

Official Matchday Pie: Lamb Kebab

Official Matchday Drink: Last chance to take the 16 Pint Challenge at home in April.

Official Matchday Song: Get On Down by East Harlem Bus Stop…

Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Kieran Lee (hip) could feature after three months out. Fernando Forestieri (knee) is a doubt having only been able to play from the bench in the last two games.

Derby striker Ted Nugent (banjo string) could return after missing Monday's draw with Huddersfield. Midfielder Jacob Creamcrackers is hoping for a recall after coming off the bench to score a late leveller against the Terriers.

NDL2Et4.png Head To Head 5BGw7h2.png

▪    Sheffield Wednesday have won just one of their last 13 league games against Derby at Hillsborough (D5 L7), and none in the last seven.

▪    Derby are unbeaten in their last 15 league games against the Owls (W9 D6); their longest unbeaten run against them.

▪    Jordan Rhodes scored in his first two league games against Derby but has failed to net in his five apps since.

▪    Derby have collected seven away points from a possible 30 available in 2017 (W2 D1 L7).

▪    A win for Sheffield Wednesday would give them a fifth consecutive league victory for the first time since April 2007 (also a run of five).

▪    David Nugent has had a hand in four goals in his last three league appearances at Hillsborough, scoring twice and assisting twice.

kn3HQnr.png

KING CARLOS’ PEARLS OF WISDOM

“The most important thing is winning games. We are not here to break records, we are here to achieve our goals. We are in a hard competition for the play-offs, we have three finals left and we must focus on each game. It is not important whether we have more or less points than last season. The competition is more hard than last season so we focus on the Derby game. The reality is we have progressed from last season but there have been parts of the season where we could have achieved more points. A lot of things have happened over the season.We are happy with how we have done. This competition is a marathon and let's see what position we will achieve.

t5x6ZV8.jpg

What do we know in this moment? We are looking to ourselves, we have two home games and one away from our three games to finish. We are with confidence, the players are with confidence, the team are with confidence. But we must continue to fight hard, we must run and we must play good football to achieve the points. Our players and everybody at the club are focused on what we must do because we have a game tomorrow that we know won’t be easy. Derby are not easy opponents and we must do the correct things, we must be careful with the strong points they have in their team.We’ll have massive support from our fans again, we can rely on them. They can be decisive and we need a very good and strong environment again to try to win a very tough game.”

MINTYNESS

We are here to fight…

cg1FPGN.gif

Morning all,

Nice one Pauli,

Reckon another win is coming up.  Will be a tough game no doubt, but think we are in top form right now, so have to go for a 2-1 Wednesday win.  

Nando and Rhodes the scorers. 

TO VICTORY!!

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

Guest RocketOwl

Derby have probably one of the players I hate most in the Chnapionship - Richard Keogh. Dirty, moaning cheating idiot. Hope hooper causes him all sorts of problems.

2 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

Derby have probably one of the players I hate most in the Chnapionship - Richard Keogh. Dirty, moaning cheating idiot. Hope hooper causes him all sorts of problems.

Your dead right.

He needs a rough afternoon.

Can't stand him when he plays, when I've calmed down I'm wanting to sign him.

Guest Wonder Spaniel

Well said Pauli. The dirty sheep molesting fella's need 3 points taking off them! If ever there was a time, this is it. 

Great OMDT Pauli!

To say we are due a win over Derby is abit of an understatement!

Like I said I don't care how we play, who starts up front, how we score or who scored it aslong as we win.

So COME ON WEDNESDAY! Attack from the off, I know I just said I don't care how we play but I can't take another win like the QPR game! My arse was doing the 50p 5p dance since half time

and was a nervous wreck by injury time.

RELEASE THE LLAMA! 

A WIN IS OVERDUE 

GONNA WIN 6-0

ALL GOALS FROM NUHIU! 

IMG_5547.PNG.81dad797ade5a3d0796accb4208f088f.PNG

COME ON WEDNESDAY! LETS SMASH THE SHEEP BOTHERING BAŚTARDS!!! 

IMG_5395.JPG.39bc9a387a453cb1ec057464c10ebbf5.JPG

Edited by LJH1867OWLS

9 minutes ago, pauli said:

RM7IknG.png Where the bleedin' hell have you been? It's gone half past twelve in the morning.

I'd like to say I've been up all night drinking and being a rebel... but truth be told I coughed while drinking a cuppa tea and covered the sofa and wall in rich caffeine and flem combo so had to clean it up.

gross? Yep you bet! But to take you mind off that horrible image he's a picture of uncle Albert at the snooker yesterday

IMG_5696.thumb.JPG.bcbdf2a8865a0d4228eed37577383358.JPG

Btw I don't like seal... such a one hit wonder RM7IknG.png