March 28th 1962- Barcelona away!

Great thread, many thanks OP.

And if you trace current Barca's DNA, it also leads back to Hillsborough.

Briefly, as all know, Johan Cruyff bulit the present day Spanish giant based on his Ajax experiences which he learnt from an ex -Owls manager, Vic Buckingham.

Indeed, Vic was his first manager when Cruyff joined the Ajax, where his mother was the cleaner,  as a raw kid fresh out of playing football on the streets outside their old ground in Amsterdam.

You could also say our DNA is also helping disciples of  Johan even today, as his followers are copying his style everwhere, including Pep and Koeman, , etc, etc.

Maybe even Carlos when he takes back into top league.

7 hours ago, Plonk said:

Have a mate who was at the home game, and generally mentions every time I see him. " something united will never have" I think is the phrase.

Dem Blades still talk fondly of their "time in Europe".

Seriously the 94-95 Anglo-Italian Cup. Out in the group stage.

But at least they scraped an away draw (2-2) with Piacenza.  They also drubbed the mighty Cesena 4-1 away from home.  Must have been some night.

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

I remember us playing AS Roma in the round before and a French team before that. I think we thumped Roma but lost the way leg and it was the same the round before. 

Can remember playing Utrecht but not the other match mentioned. 

Maybe my memory's playing tricks on me but we always seemed to score 3/4/5 goals regularly at home back then.

13 hours ago, ash60s said:

gr8 memories - I was a 10 year old

dint we also play Roma & DOS Utrecht & ADO Den Hague in that era?

Yes we did Ash...I went to all them games with my Dad and uncle who were blades...they must have known it was their only chance to watch the top european teams in Sheffield  lol 

Simpler times, lads. Long before all this 'pig' rubbish. Football was affordable, so if you fancied nipping to the Lane when Wednesday were away, it was no big deal. I had Unitedite mates who'd come to Hillsborough with me just for the pleasure of watching a match. Banter was on the whole good natured. These days if you even mention 'them' in anything other than nasty derogatory terms you've got some spotty youth offering you out from behind his keyboard.

Social media is the curse of the modern game and modern life in general. It was more fun when all your football news came from the Star, the GreenUn and Charlie Buchans Football Monthly

13 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

Simpler times, lads. Long before all this 'pig' rubbish. Football was affordable, so if you fancied nipping to the Lane when Wednesday were away, it was no big deal. I had Unitedite mates who'd come to Hillsborough with me just for the pleasure of watching a match. Banter was on the whole good natured. These days if you even mention 'them' in anything other than nasty derogatory terms you've got some spotty youth offering you out from behind his keyboard.

Social media is the curse of the modern game and modern life in general. It was more fun when all your football news came from the Star, the GreenUn and Charlie Buchans Football Monthly

I used to watch all our local sides back in the early 60s when Wednesday were away .....and your spot on the rivalry was nothing like it is these days .

11 minutes ago, torryowl said:

I used to watch all our local sides back in the early 60s when Wednesday were away .....and your spot on the rivalry was nothing like it is these days .

And not for the better.