Old training top... Very old in fact... Old photos alert!

Now the man pictured here probably needs an introduction, but once his identity is known most of you will know all about him. The man pictured below is Andrew Wilson, arguably our greatest ever club legend. That is open to debate, feel free to discuss here if you wish to dispute that claim... For those who have no idea who he is Wilson made the most competitive appearances for us (546), made the most Football League appearances for us (502), scored the most competitive goals for us (215), scored the most Football League goals for us (198), and had the longest career span for a Wednesday player (19 years, 191 days). At one point he was also our oldest ever player, now he has fallen some way down that specific list. His career has been discussed on here briefly before so i won't go into much detail aside from the above facts and that he won Football League titles in 1903 and 1904, the FA Cup in 1907 and was capped (somehow only) 6 times for Scotland. Anyway, i just wanted to share this lovely photo of him in Wednesday training gear from 1913.

Wilson1913.jpg.527bb1d65427e85f850be196dddde565.jpg

I had never seen this training gear before today so i wanted to share it here. The club were getting ready for an FA Cup clash with Grimsby Town and took a training camp to Blackpool for the sea air! The training camp obviously worked, we hammered them 5-1. Just for good measure here is Tom Brittleton in the same training kit, from the same Blackpool training camp. Brittleton is another club legend so you all probably know all about him, but briefly for those who don't he also was once the oldest player to ever play a competitive game for the club, aged 38 years and 8 days. Hilariously in 1911 the FA called up Brittleton for a tour of South Africa but he rejected the call up, he went fishing instead! The snub may have harmed his England career, he was called up and made his debut in 1912 but only made 5 appearances.

Brittleton1913.jpg.078b16a74ceb93c10636846d3fbe0033.jpg

What a lovely soup strainer he is sporting there. Anyway, like i said, i had never seen this particular kit so i thought i would share it just in case some of you hadn't either. Would a WFC training top be something you would sport on the Kop or at 5-aside? Hope you like the photos.

Having scouted around a little bit I found that Picture Sheffield had this image of the team wearing the kit, and that it was shared on here once before but only about two replies were made. Genuinely shocked I'd never seen it before, wonder if any examples exist anywhere in the U.K.

IMG_3756.JPG

Though this film is 20 odd years later I thought I'd dump this in here for those who haven't seen it too. I know a few stills from this have been posted before (white coat man) this is a Pathe film of our famous 1935 squad training. For some reason the sound is really quiet to none existent.

And no doubt this has been seen by all many times but may as well stick up the 1935 cup final video while I'm at it eh? Why not. 

"Coop guz t'Yarksheer!"

Amazing pics Will, thanks for sharing.

I have never seen those training pics or the W.F.C training tops either so quite a stunning bit of history.

I remember seeing an old aerial view of the packed Wembley from that game that had an old gyrocopter flying overhead.

Love some of the commentary about us scoring our second goal about 10 seconds after we had, didn't know we had satellite delays in those days 

WTF:

1 hour ago, Pulsar said:

Amazing pics Will, thanks for sharing.

I have never seen those training pics or the W.F.C training tops either so quite a stunning bit of history.

I remember seeing an old aerial view of the packed Wembley from that game that had an old gyrocopter flying overhead.

Love some of the commentary about us scoring our second goal about 10 seconds after we had, didn't know we had satellite delays in those days 

WTF:

It was Wednesday Player behind as ever lol

6 hours ago, Wild Will Smith said:

Having scouted around a little bit I found that Picture Sheffield had this image of the team wearing the kit, and that it was shared on here once before but only about two replies were made. Genuinely shocked I'd never seen it before, wonder if any examples exist anywhere in the U.K.

IMG_3756.JPG

Is that Michael Palin, doing his 'Barnstoneworth' act top left?

For anyone interested, those tops have just been reduced in the shop.

17 hours ago, Wild Will Smith said:

And no doubt this has been seen by all many times but may as well stick up the 1935 cup final video while I'm at it eh? Why not. 

"Coop guz t'Yarksheer!"

Trying to make badge out on Wednesday shirt, anyone any ideas what it was at that time, or if  was it a one off just for the  for the cup final

On 28/03/2017 at 01:50, Wild Will Smith said:

IMG_3756.JPG

Brian Marwood top left

On 28/03/2017 at 03:08, Wild Will Smith said:

"Coop guz t'Yarksheer!"

Amazing - totally different game in them days.  Referee in jacket & tie, no D's on the edge of the area and seemingly no fouls are given on the keepers!