Danny Murphy's best XI he faced

Yesterday, I watched Fantasy Football on Sky and he picked the best XI he ever played against. It wasn't a bad team lol

Seaman

Neville

Ferdinand

Terry

Cole

WADDLE

Keane

Scholes

Giggs

Shearer

Henry

Might help some of our younger fans who didn't see him

play, appreciate exactly how good Waddle was.

8 minutes ago, PeteG_1984 said:

Danny Murphy didn't even break onto the scene until about 1995/96ish did he? So Waddle will have been past his best by then? Just goes to show how good he was even then

He talked about a 2 legged cup tie Crewe had against Wednesday.

He said it was 2-2 and they turned up at Hillsborough fancying their chances. But he said Waddle obviously fancied it that night. He said Waddle nutmegged him about 4 times. And played a one two round him and smashed it in to the top corner from 25 yards. Although I think his memory may be flawed as Waddle didn't score that night. Wednesday 5, Crewe 2 - 4 October 95.

He said that Waddle taught him a lesson that night and he realised that if he ever thought he was getting too big for his boots he just needed to look at Waddle and realise he'd never be as good as him.

Edited by HirstWhoScoredIt

Bloody hell Waddle was literally weeks off his 35th birthday when he played against Murphy at Crewe. He was having his swan song with us then before going to Falkirk.

Jesus the squad that season was truly awful, outside the first XI. I'd forgotten all about most of the players even existing.

Lance Key

Ryan Jones

The fabled Adem Poric

Simon Stewart

Mike Williams

Richie Barker

Lee Briscoe

Mark Platts

O'Neil Donaldson

Richie Humphreys

Yet we sold Sinton, Bart-Williams, Petrescu, Ingesson... and brought in Degryse, Blinker and Stefanovic. No wonder we only stayed up by a couple of points. Hirst saved our skins that season.

23 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

He talked about a 2 legged cup tie Crewe had against Wednesday.

He said it was 2-2 and they turned up at Hillsborough fancying their chances. But he said Waddle obviously fancied it that night. He said Waddle nutmegged him about 4 times. And played a one two round him and smashed it in to the top corner from 25 yards. Although I think his memory may be flawed as Waddle didn't score that night. Wednesday 5, Crewe 2 - 4 October 95.

He said that Waddle taught him a lesson that night and he realised that if he ever thought he was getting too big for his boots he just needed to look at Waddle and realise he'd never be as good as him.

Degryse both goals in first leg, Bright hat-trick in second. Waddle never scored in either game. Think old Danny is punch drunk.

2 minutes ago, Wild Will Smith said:

Degryse both goals in first leg, Bright hat-trick in second. Waddle never scored in either game. Think old Danny is punch drunk.

Looking back at the programme it isn't clear that he is saying Waddle scored. He was mainly describing the way he played a one two round him after receiving the ball from a throw in "then smashed it to the top corner from 25 yards".

1 hour ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

I like Danny Murphy, he speaks very well and has retained his humility.

100% agree - he's right up there with Alan McAnally as my favourite pundit....sounds a lot like big Ron as well