Horror injuries

Last night's horrific injury to Seamus Coleman got me thinking about when Wednesday's Ian Knight had his leg broken against Chester City back in the  80s. It was an even worse tackle than the one last night and the ref didn't even stop the game. He broke fib and tib in 5 places. That ended his promising career where he had several caps for England under 21s and was tipped for big things. I wonder do clubs get any compensation when their players are injured playing for their country? I hope all Wednesday's players come through unscathed. 

May be a daft question here but do/should clubs insure players?

E.g pay a premium for each player dependent on their salary/value and then if out injured or in unfortunate event they have career ended the club gets to claim? May not happen now but you can see it happening in a few years to come with the amount players cost and are paid.

3 minutes ago, scram said:

Yes clubs do get compensation

But they will argue it's never enough

Part of being signed up to FIFA is that clubs MUST release players for international duty - even when injured if the national team insists

Does the compo fully cover the players wages for the period they are out  injured ?

I don't think so

I very much doubt the Irish FA could stand the wages and compo for Coleman - for eg

And that will apply to many associations around the world who have players worth way more than they could compensate for

2 minutes ago, scram said:

I don't think so

I very much doubt the Irish FA could stand the wages and compo for Coleman - for eg

And that will apply to many associations around the world who have players worth way more than they could compensate for

So you can understand why clubs hate their players going on international duty. , and rightly so. They risk losing their prize assets to injury and still have to pay the player for an injury that occurred whilst  they were playing for someone else. 

I personally hate international football because it disrupts the domestic fixtures. 

22 minutes ago, scram said:

I don't think so

Insurance?

Just not bothered...

6 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

One of the worst horror injuries was Dave Busst of Coventry when they play Man Utd. I think that ended his career. It can be an extremely lucrative career but it also goes to show that careers can be ended suddenly.

I remember Schmeichel nearly throwing up after that one.

1 hour ago, Owl 44 said:

Last night's horrific injury to Seamus Coleman got me thinking about when Wednesday's Ian Knight had his leg broken against Chester City back in the  80s. It was an even worse tackle than the one last night and the ref didn't even stop the game. He broke fib and tib in 5 places. That ended his promising career where he had several caps for England under 21s and was tipped for big things. I wonder do clubs get any compensation when their players are injured playing for their country? I hope all Wednesday's players come through unscathed. 

That Chester player Bennet should have been banned for life for that tackle; The ball had gone and he stamped through the back of his standing leg and you could hear his leg shatter instantly.

I remember Ian Knight lying motionless on the pitch with one arm up in the air. 

11 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

That Chester player Bennet should have been banned for life for that tackle; The ball had gone and he stamped through the back of his standing leg and you could hear his leg shatter instantly.

I was in the North with my Dad and you could hear the snap, it was a cold night as well and ended a very promising career.

11 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Yes it was a sickening night that. One of several awful injuries that Alan Smith (father of current physio Paul) had to deal with. I remember when Paul Warhurst was knocked out cold against Spora in the UEFA cup. He saved his life that night. I went home in tears because I thought he'd broken his neck.

1 hour ago, Nath83 said:

I can still hear Ian Nolan's leg snapping, and I was on the Kop :sad:

It was Justin Edinburgh of Spurs who did him with a horrific 2 footed tackle. Nolan sued him and won. 

Dirty Bxxxtard manages Northampton now

1 hour ago, S61 Owl said:

May be a daft question here but do/should clubs insure players?

E.g pay a premium for each player dependent on their salary/value and then if out injured or in unfortunate event they have career ended the club gets to claim? May not happen now but you can see it happening in a few years to come with the amount players cost and are paid.

I worked in the insurance industry many years ago and the broker I worked for actually arranged the insurance for Wednesday. So many years ago I can't remember too many details now (over 35 years) but in those days they insured the players for injuries and for career ending injuries. The insurance was to cover the loss to the club rather than the loss to the player. e.g. if we bought a player for £100,000 (as if) and his career was ended by an injury the club got a percentage of the transfer fee back. The insurance didn't pay anything to the player as far as I can remember.

Knight would have been an absolute star for us he had the potential to be our Alan hansen who to this day is the best centre half I've seen in English football 

Bennett was an horrible man who reveled in his reputation I know from a mate he was booed at the lane not long after the event that tells you everything