International Watch

2 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Think it's quite telling that when Scotland need a goal they haven't brought on Rhodes or Bannan

Just re-enforces how our players are not in form at the moment 

Not really. The BBC pundits saying Strachan plays a lone-striker so not Rhodes cos that's not his strength. They think he may come on late when they push forward.

15 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Not really. The BBC pundits saying Strachan plays a lone-striker so not Rhodes cos that's not his strength. They think he may come on late when they push forward.

Scotland used all their subs and none were from Wednesday. Strachan was proved right, my point is just that our £10m striker can't get on for Scotland when they needed a goal. 

Im glad they didn't come on and get injured tho haha

Edited by Southie_Owl

48 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Think it's quite telling that when Scotland need a goal they haven't brought on Rhodes or Bannan

Just re-enforces how our players are not in form at the moment 

I think Fletcher and Bannan might well struggle to play for Scotland for a while now. Stuart Armstrong was excellent and is a far better player than Barry I'm afraid. It's criminal Strachan has overlooked Armstrong for so long. And Rhodes has never been Strachan's favourite either.

It's probably not a bad thing in fairness because it means that they won't get injured for our squad!

It's hardly been a week to remember for our (senior) Scottish contigent

I'm pleased that Scotland won last night, and I'm also happy that Bannan & Rhodes would get to share the relief in the dressing room afterwards without having to endure all the anxiety out on the pitch

But where does it leave them now?

I'd expect them both to get called up for the England match, basically because I'd expect both to play a major part in our run-in

Whether they get to start will depend on their form in a Wednesday shirt, so naturally I'm hoping for the best

Fletcher? I dunno (Happy 30th by the way)

I think he'll struggle to make our starting XI from hereon in - unless he comes off the bench to dazzle us and change a game on his own

We'll see, but I'd suggest his international career is as good as over

4 minutes ago, Ethel The Tree said:

It's hardly been a week to remember for our (senior) Scottish contigent

I'm pleased that Scotland won last night, and I'm also happy that Bannan & Rhodes would get to share the relief in the dressing room afterwards without having to endure all the anxiety out on the pitch

But where does it leave them now?

I'd expect them both to get called up for the England match, basically because I'd expect both to play a major part in our run-in

Whether they get to start will depend on their form in a Wednesday shirt, so naturally I'm hoping for the best

Fletcher? I dunno (Happy 30th by the way)

I think he'll struggle to make our starting XI from hereon in - unless he comes off the bench to dazzle us and change a game on his own

We'll see, but I'd suggest his international career is as good as over

If Hooper is fit on Saturday I suspect you may be right, in that Fletch is unlikely to start between now and the end of the season. If Hooper is eased back, I think Fletch might start the next one or two, as it's not really working for us with Winnall at present.

Just now, sweetsheri said:

International football is so dull and boring.. scunny/Bradford game was better 

I was thinking about this watching the Scotland game and I think the problem is that country's teams are all quite evenly matched these days in standard. Or when they do have inferior players (Lithuania) they are being coached better due to increased player/coach movement in Europe and more access to world football on television and Internet etc etc. And it makes for a less entertaining game 

Glenn Hoddle said similiar yesterday that England once beat Turkey 8-0, but that won't be happening again anytime soon

Its a bit like how F1 has become dull with the improved reliability of the cars.

5 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I was thinking about this watching the Scotland game and I think the problem is that country's teams are all quite evenly matched these days in standard. Or when they do have inferior players (Lithuania) they are being coached better due to increased player/coach movement in Europe and more access to world football on television and Internet etc etc. And it makes for a less entertaining game 

Glenn Hoddle said similiar yesterday that England once beat Turkey 8-0, but that won't be happening again anytime soon

Its a bit like how F1 has become dull with the improved reliability of the cars.

I agree that the lesser teams are now just coached to play with 2 banks of 5 in a line with the odd Attack thrown in .. it's just boring.

Even when 2 evenly matched teams play it's still boring. What's the excitement in watching a defence pass it round for 10 minutes. 

I don't know what the answer is but I just don't watch It anymore.

I watched 10 minutes yesterday then switched to Netflix to continue watching designated survivor 

30 minutes ago, sweetsheri said:

I agree that the lesser teams are now just coached to play with 2 banks of 5 in a line with the odd Attack thrown in .. it's just boring.

Even when 2 evenly matched teams play it's still boring. What's the excitement in watching a defence pass it round for 10 minutes. 

I don't know what the answer is but I just don't watch It anymore.

I watched 10 minutes yesterday then switched to Netflix to continue watching designated survivor 

Yep even Ireland v Wales was boring as Ireland just set out to stop Wales playing the whole game to get a point. Good defending yes, but it made a boring game to watch. 

Maybe they should change it to be 4 points for a win and 1 for a draw so that teams are more keen to get goals and the victories. I've only just thought of that so I'm sure there's problems with it haha 

maybe a bonus point system for goals scored but that wouldn't really stop teams being defensive 

I also think there should be some relegation system in qualifying for the smaller teams so they have more pressure to get wins and not just be happy losing 2-0 

Edited by Southie_Owl

1 hour ago, Southie_Owl said:

Yep even Ireland v Wales was boring as Ireland just set out to stop Wales playing the whole game to get a point. Good defending yes, but it made a boring game to watch. 

Maybe they should change it to be 4 points for a win and 1 for a draw so that teams are more keen to get goals and the victories. I've only just thought of that so I'm sure there's problems with it haha 

maybe a bonus point system for goals scored but that wouldn't really stop teams being defensive 

I also think there should be some relegation system in qualifying for the smaller teams so they have more pressure to get wins and not just be happy losing 2-0 

Maybe a bonus point for scoring 3 or more goals might encourage teams to attack more.

In terms of getting teams to open up That's a difficult one..

It's only going to get worse as the world cup expands as FIFA get even more greedy....

Look forward to Germany Vs The Christmas islands..

"In Qatar, he's in Qatar

George Hirst is out there in Qatar

Is he starting? I don't know

Can't find that out anywhere

All I know he's out there in Qatar"

......... repeat

Kick off  4pm (allegedly)