Dalian Atkinson RIP

In all my years watching football that lad was the one who 'missed his way' the most. Should have won 100 caps and made millions. Was simply unplayable for a period for us. 

When people pick their best ever Wednesday player etc, there are 2 names that never get mentioned. Dalian Atkinson, and Trevor Francis. Dread to think how good Francis was in his pomp. Alongside Roland Nilsson, was Big Rons best signing. 

Got to agree Vulva, the lad had so much (unrealised) talent, power and pace. At the time I rated him potentiality higher than Hirsty which just about says it all. Absolutely frightening player when on it, such a shame how it turned out for him. He'd be worth an absolute fortune these days.  

24 minutes ago, vulva said:

In all my years watching football that lad was the one who 'missed his way' the most. Should have won 100 caps and made millions. Was simply unplayable for a period for us. 

When people pick their best ever Wednesday player etc, there are 2 names that never get mentioned. Dalian Atkinson, and Trevor Francis. Dread to think how good Francis was in his pomp. Alongside Roland Nilsson, was Big Rons best signing. 

Can't argue with any of that 

5 minutes ago, Walt said:

Got to agree Vulva, the lad had so much (unrealised) talent, power and pace. At the time I rated him potentiality higher than Hirsty which just about says it all. Absolutely frightening player when on it, such a shame how it turned out for him. He'd be worth an absolute fortune these days.  

He was in a different league to Hirst, who was a top player himself. Atkinson could have been anything he wanted. 

Absolute loose cannon off the pitch though. 

19 minutes ago, vulva said:

He was in a different league to Hirst, who was a top player himself. Atkinson could have been anything he wanted. 

I remember Dalian as a quality, powerful, pacey striker who should have made more of himself than he did.

However, to say he was in a different league to Hirst is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, vulva said:

Another season with us and he'd have been in many an Xl

RIP

8 hours ago, vulva said:

A different league to Hirsty ? Yes a lower one , right ? Frightening partnership RIP Dalian 

Does anyone remember the match against Derby at Hillsborough when Dalian received the ball on the half way line took a few strides then unleashed this rocket? 35-40 yards out and this bullet just went crashing into the post, Shiton beaten all ends up. I recall the "tink" of Shez but this was different, the sound of hitting the post made a right racket reverb ing around the South stand. The thing was the ball never got above knee height but still was rising when it hit the post, such a pure strike.

12 hours ago, elvin parsnip said:

So unlucky against Forest when they sent us down - loads of unlucky strikes that would have gone in on another day

That's a new one - "unlucky strikes"!  I know it's normal to speak highly of the deceased, but what he actually did was miss a couple of sitters that he should have buried!

Hirst was the unlucky one iirc, hit the post from distance and then had the follow up saved by the keeper.