Carlos's Managerial Record

Heard a few times on Football Heaven - usually United fans but some Wednesday - saying he has a crap record, never won anything and got sacked from every job etc etc.

Thought I'd have a look at his stats.

Source: http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/carlos-carvalhal/stationen/trainer/1588/plus/1

Sheff Wed: Played 96 W43 D26 L27

Besiktas: Played 47 W22 D9 L16

Sporting CP: Played 33 W16 D7 L10

Vitória Setúbal: Played 34 W14 D13 L7

Belenenses:: Played 42 W16 D7 L19

Assuming the above source is correct - they don't have stats for his early clubs - he has a respectable record at all the clubs he managed for a decent amount of time, and overall a winning record. I omitted the clubs he managed for a handful of games as that shows nothing.

He won the Portuguese League Cup with Vitória Setúbal.

He was also the first coach to take a Portugese team from the third division to the UEFA Cup; after taking a third division side to a cup final.

People are doing the guy a dis-service when they diss his managerial record.

Edited by bluemagic

I love old Carlos but he doesn't seem to be able to manage over a longer period and we're really seeing how and why here.  Players seem to respond to his tactics and philosophy in year one then he brings in a load of poo over priced players, plays favourites out of position and is rigid in terms of set up and tactics no matter the opposition.

Players lose will to live and stop doing basics like the gangbangpressing we saw last season.

Guest Lostondisplay
6 hours ago, FuthaMucker said:

Wednesday this season: W18, D8, L12.

I'm sorry but for me that stat isn't good enough. 

Just curious, not having a dig, but what would've been good enough? 

1 minute ago, james o connor said:

I just didn't understand why players hand picked by Carlos is something that can be used to back up his record this season 

I just think the likes of Brighton have a more stable squad and set up.

Like we could have next year.

I found it quite amazing how he selected so many new players when he has never managed in England before !! Especially his first season  Ok he brought in players he was familiar with from abroad I imagine but I just feel he needs at least one maybe two more seasons to get a complete and settled side . He's only been here two minutes give him a decent amount of time and stop with the he's spent this and that on players , it takes time if he's prepared to give it I for one am patient and feel he needs more time , it's been chronic for years !!!! Breath of fresh Carlos is . 

You're not going to get promoted (Autos) with a record like that. 

Fair play you might have a chance of playoffs. 

Need to turn a couple of them draws into wins and stop the stupid defeats. 

Not sure Carlos has the ability to change the games at the right time to do that. 

Like the guy but he's to one dimensional. 

The only team team we can compare ourselves to really from last season is Brighton, the have spent an inordinate amount of money but have moved a lot further ahead of us. 

10 minutes ago, BD2OWL said:

Not sure Carlos has the ability to change the games at the right time to do that. 

The only team team we can compare ourselves to really from last season is Brighton, the have spent an inordinate amount of money but have moved a lot further ahead of us. 

They're only 1 place above where they finished last year and have been progressing over a number of years and building brick by brick.

13 minutes ago, Owling Wolfe said:

They're only 1 place above where they finished last year and have been progressing over a number of years and building brick by brick.

I read this sort of comment a lot and I'm at a bit of a loss to understand it. Stuart Gray's cheaply-assembled team finished 7 places above them less than 2 years ago. In Hughton's first full season in charge they improved that finish by 17 places. In Hughton's second full season in charge they are almost stitched on to go up in the top 2. Now THAT'S progress. We have at best stood still/stagnated even though we've spent millions more than Brighton this season. This is also CC's second full season in charge. It really is brought into sharp focus when you observe the Brighton story of the last 2/3 years. 

Edited by Almat

16 minutes ago, BD2OWL said:

you judge a manager on the job (good or bad) of what he's doing for your club .....if 4 or 5 others are doing better than him at other clubs then good luck to them ......

Carlos is going for the German approach to national tournaments.

Be bang average until you get in to the knockout phase.

Then switch the afterburners on & walk away with the silverware.

Hopefully....

44 minutes ago, Owling Wolfe said:

That one place being an auto promotion place.

They are currently the same amount of points in front of us than they were last season, with 8 games remaining.

Come the end of the season, they will be well ahead of us, after as someone has already stated staving off relegation 2 years ago.