'Doing a Derby'?

It's starting to look that way. We've not been great this season by any means, but we haven't been as bad as some of the doom merchants have suggested. Tonight epitomises that for me; we weren't awful, we just weren't very good and didn't take our chances. Too often that's been the tale of the tape this campaign, and we've been alright in games with not quite enough to get us over the line.

I'm disappointed tonight, because once again we've had a good chance to push on and just haven't taken it. We've been nearly good enough to get something out of a lot of games this season, and being 'nearly good enough' isn't the way to get promoted.

We're not out of the race yet by a long stretch. Anything could happen between now and the end of the season. But it's looking increasingly likely that, come the end of the season, we'll be looking back on a performance that was 'nearly good enough' to get us to the Premier League.

Here's hoing it doesn't start getting known as 'doing a Wednesday', eh?

5 minutes ago, TINKERBELL said:

They needed booing after that performance tonight dam right they did.but that's where it should stop and not carry on social media 

But what good would it do?   All it does it make people throw the towel in because it's the easiest thing to do. It doesn't make people try any harder, never has, never will. It just causes resentment 

1 hour ago, pgmetcalf said:

And because booing at matches and abusing the team online is really beneficial to the team and club isn't it? 

Nice straw man there. Where in my post did I advocate booing at matches? Which part of my post was the bit where I told everyone to abuse the players and the manager online? I'll wait.

14 hours ago, eddyowl123 said:

It's starting to look that way. We've not been great this season by any means, but we haven't been as bad as some of the doom merchants have suggested. Tonight epitomises that for me; we weren't awful, we just weren't very good and didn't take our chances. Too often that's been the tale of the tape this campaign, and we've been alright in games with not quite enough to get us over the line.

I'm disappointed tonight, because once again we've had a good chance to push on and just haven't taken it. We've been nearly good enough to get something out of a lot of games this season, and being 'nearly good enough' isn't the way to get promoted.

We're not out of the race yet by a long stretch. Anything could happen between now and the end of the season. But it's looking increasingly likely that, come the end of the season, we'll be looking back on a performance that was 'nearly good enough' to get us to the Premier League.

Here's hoing it doesn't start getting known as 'doing a Wednesday', eh?

What? We have turned in just a handful of convincing performances all season No team can hope to be promoted on that form

13 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

But what good would it do?   All it does it make people throw the towel in because it's the easiest thing to do. It doesn't make people try any harder, never has, never will. It just causes resentment 

It'll test their character and resolve that's for sure. You could argue the fact that it would make certain individuals try harder, almost in a 'I'll prove you wrong' type of way, they should be thinking something's not right here, we need to up our game and face that adversity. You are right of course though, the easiest thing is to wrap and just go home with their big fat pay cheque every week. 

As I've said before, people pay good money to go and watch their football team play for 90mins, they're entitled to their opinions and if that's how they want to voice them then so be it. Can't say I exactly feel sorry for the players/coaching staff.

13 hours ago, pgmetcalf said:

You know those little cards you can get at some establishments, allowing you to rate your customer experience, or the customer feedback forms that anyone who makes an order online will be familiar with? There's often a multiple choice format wherein you might grade the service, the quality of the goods purchased, etc.

Football clubs tend not to have such forms. The customer therefore uses a variety of other means to inform the management of their thoughts. Traditionally this takes the form of clapping, cheering, whistling, sign- and scarf- waving, singing/chanting and BOOING.

You're complaining about people expressing an opinion you don't like because other people might not like it either.

1 minute ago, robowl4life said:

It'll test their character and resolve that's for sure. You could argue the fact that it would make certain individuals try harder, almost in a 'I'll prove you wrong' type of way, they should be thinking something's not right here, we need to up our game and face that adversity. You are right of course though, the easiest thing is to wrap and just go home with their big fat pay cheque every week. 

As I've said before, people pay good money to go and watch their football team play for 90mins, they're entitled to their opinions and if that's how they want to voice them then so be it. Can't say I exactly feel sorry for the players/coaching staff.

Straight to the point of the matter in the first sentence. If our players lack the strength of character to cope with jeering and booing, they're in the wrong profession. I'd gladly trade my income for theirs to be booed at for 90 minutes 2-3 times a week. I'd even allow the throwing of soft fruit and veg.

Its not doing a Derby - what they do is play really well, top of the league, running away with it, etc etc, then have too much Xmas pud and never get over it.  We have not been anywhere near the top two all season, and have been clinging on with finger tips to 6th place and have never really got going. A couple of flashes in the pan, that's all we've had. I don't mind being 6th but this squad should be a lot better than that, or at least be a convincing 6th place outfit.