Carvalhal not getting the best out of players?

McGeady player of the month in the Championship

Lucas Joao hitting form at Blackburn

Proven quality Championship player Lewis McGugan rotting in reserves

International player Urby Emanuelson not even able to have a chance

5M Almen Abdi not properly integrated into the team

Rhodes/Winnall hardly hitting the ground running

FA cup winning MOTM McMannaman still not starting 

There are more examples

He has got Lee and Bannan playing to a better standard but I wouldn't say the likes of Loovens and Lees are playing better than before he was here, just the same.

It would be very hard to say he is. 

Our squad and the money we've spent dwarfs the likes of Leeds, Huddersfield and Reading, yet they have been above us all season. We finished far higher than all of those three sides last season and have not progressed anywhere near what we should have. 

The expectations have been high from some fans, maybe too high, but I don't think CC or the squad have been near those expectations for large parts of this season. 

It's the same with any club. Bannan and Westwood on frees means they didn't fit someone's style. 

Lees didn't fit Leeds style.

It's football management.

Nothing going on here that doesn't happen at every other club in the country.

The buck stops with Carlos whether it is his fault or not. Quite a few players have not played up to last year's performances. A lot of things are different this year.

Edited by OxonOwl

1 minute ago, pazowl55 said:

It's the same with any club. Bannan and Westwood on frees means they didn't fit someone's style. 

Lees didn't fit Leeds style.

It's football management.

Nothing going on here that doesn't happen at every other club in the country.

No manager is going to get the best out of every player, it's the rate it seems to be happening with CC, and players you would expect to do well, ones with real pedigree such as McGeady didn't happen. I forgot a big one, Steven Fletcher-this is his first season the championship, a premier league player since he moved from Scotland. These type of strikers usually bang them in for fun in the championship. Wood isn't the level of player Fletcher is, but Wood looks twice the player this season.

6 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

No manager is going to get the best out of every player, it's the rate it seems to be happening with CC, and players you would expect to do well, ones with real pedigree such as McGeady didn't happen. I forgot a big one, Steven Fletcher-this is his first season the championship, a premier league player since he moved from Scotland. These type of strikers usually bang them in for fun in the championship. Wood isn't the level of player Fletcher is, but Wood looks twice the player this season.

Its a non-argument. Man Utd had Di Maria and Falcao in the same side and they both flopped. 

Edited by ramone

No he hasnt. For me in the top 6 we should be second to only Newcastle & Brighton. 

It isnt negative to point out we are under performing. Some of the displays this year (wolves home, Rotherham Home, Brentford Home, Villa Away just to name 4) have been dreadful. We have a right to expect more from the caliber of player signed & the money spent.

If we go up this year I will happily eat my words but for me we are making the task considerably more difficult than it needs to be. 

I'm beginning to wonder if whatever his "message" is, if some of the players are no longer listening. Hence the indifferent form. 

At no point have I said I want him to go, quite the opposite. I believe that continuity is key and that you can't chop and change, Brighton is the perfect example.

I do wonder though what a different manager would get out of this same squad of players because there's no denying the quality we have.

Lets have a bit of perspective please. 

Every club brings in players that do and don't fit the system. Often it's a gamble as no two club setups Are the same so you can never guarantee success (e.g. Players who perform for club but not country). 

I personally would rather see us try and occasionally fail at the top end of the transfer market rather than living off scraps like we have done for many years. 

Edited by WalkleyWeds

5 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Well not really, they sacked LvG didn't they?

After the following season.

Also, I think its a bit different.

20 time Champions of England sacking a manager for just winning the FA Cup after spunking the best part of 250 million

Team that's yo yo'd between the 2nd and 3rd division and finally gets to spend a bit of cash and we finish in the highest position we have done for 17 years. 

Yeah, its exactly the same. Get a grip

21 minutes ago, Bodhidharma said:

Only players who fit the specific style flourish.

The rest get abandoned.

Waste of talent.

I agree with this to a point. 

This is why i don't believe for a second that Carlos is in charge of recruitment.

Why would he sign out and out wingers like Buckley and Mcmanaman on loan when he doesn't play with wingers?

Why would he make Abdi our big summer signing when we don't have the system to best accommodate him?

If he wants to play FF up front then why sign 2 strikers in January? And if he wants him wide left, why break the transfer record to sign Reach?

None of it adds up

40 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

McGeady player of the month in the Championship

Lucas Joao hitting form at Blackburn

Proven quality Championship player Lewis McGugan rotting in reserves

International player Urby Emanuelson not even able to have a chance

5M Almen Abdi not properly integrated into the team

Rhodes/Winnall hardly hitting the ground running

FA cup winning MOTM McMannaman still not starting 

There are more examples

He has got Lee and Bannan playing to a better standard but I wouldn't say the likes of Loovens and Lees are playing better than before he was here, just the same.

Such a tenuous list that doesn't really relate to your post heading.

McGeady came to us with no game time and subsequently zero form, it just didn't happen for him at S6 no mystery. Maybe at this stage in his career he's happier being a bigger fish in a smaller pond, who knows....

Joao I think most of us would agree that he was responsible for his own dip in form, he started well then seemed to believe his own press and lost his way, in the end he just needed a goal but we just couldn't wait for him to score it. I'm happy he's getting game time, the loan was right for both him and us.

Lewis McGugan wouldn't get in our team even if CC was prepared to pick him, we've not been privy to the discussions between CC and LM but if the former refuses to pick him because he believes his attitude is wrong then I'm going to back up the coach because LM has form.

Urby Emanuelson (International Player.......of yesteryear) Signed as cover and he's been injured for most of his time here, making him sound like a current international is silly.

Almen Abdi also injured, hence his lack of game time.

Rhodes and Winnall no issue with them, no idea why you'd add them to this list.

McMannaman, CC has already stated that he's been incredibly unlucky not to have featured more, he's done well when he's played so again no idea why you'd add him to a list that is supposedly players CC isn't getting the best out of....

Edited by Morepork

1 minute ago, WalkleyWeds said:

Lets have a bit of perspective please. 

Every club brings in players that do and don't fit the system. Often it's a gamble as no two club setups Are the same so you can never guarantee success (e.g. Players who perform for club but not country). 

I personally would rather see us try and occasionally fail at the top end of the transfer market rather than living off scraps like we have done for many years. 

Yes but my point is that with CC, his rate of making a success out of a signing is negative, he has had more flops than successes. 

2 minutes ago, markowl said:

Positive result for us last night. 

Well done to the op for starting a negative thread. 

WAWAW my arse.

Is that where we are at now, criticisng other fans for questioning the manager because Blackburn nicked a draw v Fulham for us to stay in 6th position, after spending 30M, in the second tier!

3 minutes ago, ramone said:

After the following season.

Also, I think its a bit different.

20 time Champions of England sacking a manager for just winning the FA Cup after spunking the best part of 250 million

Team that's yo yo'd between the 2nd and 3rd division and finally gets to spend a bit of cash and we finish in the highest position we have done for 17 years. 

Yeah, its exactly the same. Get a grip

Hold on a second, YOU were the one that brought Man Utd up mate-at the time I was thinking "wtf has he brought them up for" lol. Bloody bizarre tactic mate haha

3 minutes ago, Morepork said:

Such a tenuous list that doesn't really relate that well to your post heading.

McGeady came to us with no game time and subsequently zero form, it just didn't happen for him at S6 no mystery. 

Joao I think most of us would agree that he was responsible for his own dip in form, he started well then seemed to believe his own press and lost his way, in the end he just needed a goal but just couldn't wait for him to score it. I'm happy he's getting game time, the loan was right for both him and us.

Lewis McGugan wouldn't get in our team even if CC was prepared to pick him, we've not been privy to the discussions between CC and LM but if the former refuses to pick him because he believes his attitude is wrong then I'm going to back up the coach because LM has form.

Urby Emanuelson (International Player.......of yesteryear) Signed as cover and he's been injured for most of his time here and making him sound like a current international is silly.

Almen Abdi also injured, hence his lack of game time.

Rhodes and Winnall no issue with them, no idea why you'd add them to this list.

McMannaman, CC has already stated that he's been incredibly unlucky not to have featured more, he's done well when he's played so no idea why you'd add him to a list that is supposedly players CC isn't getting the best out of....

You are making lots of excuses there. End of the day these are players that we have brought in that haven't performed to anywhere near their best. It's the managers job to do that.

3 minutes ago, Cosby Blunkett said:

I agree with this to a point. 

This is why i don't believe for a second that Carlos is in charge of recruitment.

Why would he sign out and out wingers like Buckley and Mcmanaman on loan when he doesn't play with wingers?

Why would he make Abdi our big summer signing when we don't have the system to best accommodate him?

If he wants to play FF up front then why sign 2 strikers in January? And if he wants him wide left, why break the transfer record to sign Reach?

None of it adds up

We started the season with wingers, it was after the bad run we had early doors that he changed the system.

Carlos, in my humble opinion sets us up not to lose a game, which is all well and good if you are after mid table mediocrity, I think our sights are a little higher though.

I get that teams come and park a bus against us, but our rigid and at times pathetic formations make it even more difficult for us to break teams down.

Play wingers on the wing, hog the touchline, make the pitch as big as possible, but we would rather overcrowd it with wingers starting in the centre....

Bizarre, just bizarre - and not for one minute do I believe that LM is not good enough to be at least sat on our bench, considering some of the corner taking we have witnessed this season.