Poll: Man of the Match vs Aston Villa...and your player ratings

Man of the Match vs Aston Villa  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match vs Aston Villa?

• Westwood
    • Hunt
    • Sasso
    • Loovens
    • Fox
    • Wallace
    • Jones
    • Bannan
    • Rhodes
    • Reach
    • Winnall
    • Fletcher
    • Semedo

Was this the day that our luck finally ran out?

Okay we started reasonably well and missed a few chances but about 25 minutes in we seemed to just lose our way. Having missed only a handful of games over the past few seasons I think its fair to say that we have not really been as convincing this season as we were last season. In some ways that’s surprising because the squad responsible for the (mostly) attacking play last season was not only retained but strengthened with over half a dozen more quality attacking signings and yet this season we elect to play a much more defensive and contained style of play. Why can’t we utilise the skills of this seasons signings and give it a proper go!

At the game today we were unlucky but we didn’t try to make any of our own luck by getting forward quickly. Yes there were some bizarre decisions that went against us but lets face it we cannot blame this on not being able to break down an average Villa side.

Westwood- 6 Didn’t really have that much to do.

Hunt- 6 A reasonable performance

Sasso- 5 Did okay up the his departure, won his tackles and the sending off was a big moment

Loovens- 5 Not his assured self although he was struggling injury for quite a while before finally going off.

Fox- 7 MOM for me. Did okay at LB and CB. Easily our best defender on the day.

Wallace- 6 Did well in patches

Bannan- 6 A bit hit and miss. Some brilliance but quite a few mistakes

Jones- 5 I just wish he would forward a bit more

Reach- 6 Busy enough but no cutting edge.

Winall- 6 Worked hard, missed a few and unlucky to be brought off.

Rhodes- 5 Never really got into the game

Fletcher- 5 Won a few headers

Semedo- 5.5 Tried hard.

Overall I do not think it works to have 4 left footers across the midfield. The tactics seemed off however maybe the sending off occurred too early in the second half to really judge whether we had changed our tactics so maybe I am being too critical.

Given FF’s injury plus Loovens limping off, a three match ban for Sasso, Hutch and Lees injured plus Fulhams result I cannot help thinking that our luck is about to change… for the worst.

Fox for me thought he was solid all game and never gave up,yet another shabby away performance,started brightly but faded,we didnt capitalise on our chances and paid the price,thought Hunt played well also.

The mad thing was villa were awfull,draw would have reflected the play,Sassos red changed the outcome,and we should have had a pen,thought the ref was wee wee poor.

1 in 10 for winnall now. Poor return. 

Standard Wednesday performance huffed and puffed but created little. What we did create we missed. 

Season is coming to a head now and it looks like we could be this year's derby County.  But let's face it in all honesty do we deserve to be there? 

Recruitment has been poor same players signed and not one player with pace signed. We are so slow it's painful. 

Carlos has had all the gear but unfortunately has no idea! 

Have that awful feeling that this season Will slip away in to nothing over the coming weeks. 

A midfield of Wallace jones bannan and reach not exactly the stuff of dreams . We know Wallace is good for the odd screamer but what else does that midfield have , it's pretty poor. 

Having left after the second goal I feel I can't really comment on the march as a whole . It's safe to say though, nobody stood out 

Westwood> is it only me that thought his kicking was awfull? 5

Hunt>did try and get forward, wasnt his worst game ive seen. 6

Sasso> ok game untill he lost controll of ball and got sent off. Im not convinced it was a red tho. Still shouldnt have gave the ref that option. 5

Loovens> injured and could tell. 5

Fox> making Lb his own. 7

Wallace> average. Nothing more to say.6

Jones> average. im not saying hes a bad player but the Game just tends to bypass him. 6

Bannan> he was the only one that looked like changing the game. Always looking to try sonething. 7

Reach> good crosses, had an ok game. 6

Winnall> works hard, but should have scored. 6

Rhodes> his movement is spot on. Won a lot of headers, but should have scored today. 6

Overall we had to many average peformances. We didnt have enough players that can take a game by the scruff of the neck. To many players that just let the game pass them by. Missed fesi and hutch.

Westwood 6 didn't have much to do, kicking wasn't great. 

Hunt 6

Loovens 5 A few dodgy back passes early on. Seemed to pull up early in the second half, on the touch line by the Wednesday fans. Not sure what the injury was that forced him off.

Sasso 5

Fox 7

Wallace 5

Bannan 6

Jones 6

Reach 6 Had the beating of Hutton in the first half, crosses were inconsistent. Second half at LB, no influence or threat.

Winnal 5 Should have buried that first half chance. Works hard, is that enough?

Rhodes 5

Fletcher 5

Semedo 4/5

Gone with Fox based on radio commentary, couldn't make the game. It sounded as though Hunt did well too, though highlights implicate him directly in both Villa goals (neither were his fault as such).

Jones sounded assured, which is encouraging, and Bannan industrious but it was noted a few times that his passes went astray. Rhodes and Winnall seemed to be a handful but slightly lacking sharpness.

Those who went - what would've been the 'fairest' result? 0-1 loss? 1-1?

How can you rate players on a radio commentary?  Rate it if you are there, rate it if you see it on tele.

Rating by radio commentary is a step too far in my opinion.

No offence intended.

18 minutes ago, prowl said:

How can you rate players on a radio commentary?  Rate it if you are there, rate it if you see it on tele.

Rating by radio commentary is a step too far in my opinion.

No offence intended.

None taken. Agree it's hard to know the full story. I think you do get a half decent idea from a 2hr, two-man commentary followed by video highlights, analysis, phone-ins etc, but yes, absolutely with the need for caveats and caution - that's why I felt I should state I'd not been able to go on this occasion but still wanted to chuck a vote in for what was pretty unanimously a good effort from young Fox.