Steven Haslam on Sheffield Live TV

7 minutes ago, Mat-Owl said:

I liked Haslam, it's a shame he didn't kick on with us

Unfortunate (to say the least) that his 'breakthrough' should more or less coincide with relegation from the top flight and then be followed by a period of almost zero stability

I'm pleased he looks like playing an integral part in all the positive stuff that's happening right now

Young Owls had excellent teams in Steve's era, and it goes to show that he was playing U-10 after his 9th birthday, but a 'school year ' younger than the others.

Excellent lad, excellent attitude and the most polite of family.

Another lad to do the same was David Sherwood, who despite being in the academy for a couple of years concentrated on tennis. I remember him playing in the Davis Cup v Israel with a certain Andy Murray - both lads chucked in at the deep end as the Lloyds were perhaps past their best.

Edited by OhForAnotherShez

24 minutes ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

...(edit)

Another lad to do the same was David Sherwood, who despite being in the academy for a couple of years concentrated on tennis. I remember him playing in the Davis Cup v Israel with a certain Andy Murray - both lads chucked in at the deep end as the Lloyds were perhaps past their best.

Same with the 6 Nations and every time Danny Care pulls on an England shirt and takes to the field

I'll point to the tv and say  "See him? Used to play for Wednesday."

Of course, nobody's interested in the slightest, but it's kind of true

He asked to be released from his academy contract with us in order to concentrate on Rugby

34 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Wasn't Haslam England Youth captain?

It's fairly well covered in the programme ...

The time he came up against Brazil and a young Ronaldinho with an England side featuring Michael Owen amongst others

... kept a clean sheet too, apparently

He has bags of experience and (I believe) the personality to get the message across to our youngsters

Refreshing! What a really great guy and good player for us at a terrible time , but can't believe he played against Ronhaldinho.

Clearly, the kids are in great hands and Steve's enthusiasm and love for Owls, together with strong back up guys,means the future's really bright.

In these money, money , money days it's unusual and nice to hear such a fantastic pro talk with great enthusiasm.

Must get down to under 21's and support them as they seem to be tearing apart all before them, with some great prospects.

Another DC improvement that adds to our infrastructure for EPL next season.

Well done to all involved. Brilliant. 

Guest Kagoshimaowl
5 hours ago, OhForAnotherShez said:

Young Owls had excellent teams in Steve's era, and it goes to show that he was playing U-10 after his 9th birthday, but a 'school year ' younger than the others.

Excellent lad, excellent attitude and the most polite of family.

David Sherwood.  Played against him and Young Owls as a kid.  Manager gave me a man marking job on Sherwood.  It was 0-0 at half time and he asked me if I was going to the bog with him at half time.

Second half he played deep and went wide. Manager told me not to follow him.  He got a hat trick!  Was a superb player!!