Are Sheffield Wednesday the most important football club in the world.

This might be a case of living in the bubble or echo chamber - but for some reason it feels like every match commentary, every article, every sound bite contains a reference the our great club - and it is leading me to believe that WE are the worlds most important football club. 

Eg. This article about Ranieri has no need to mention us - yet there we are 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/feb/25/claudio-ranieris-leicester-exit-a-tale-of-deceit-and-discourtesy?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=215024&subid=17576164&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

and if I listen to most UK televised games there is some reference to our club in every commentary. 

Leeds will say they are even though they've won less League titles than us :ghoulguy:

but seriously the truely massive top Premier League clubs and the European club giants make the likes of us and Leeds seem tin pot in reality to be honest, in terms of honours and money we are tin pot but we've got a long history to be proud of that other teams can't replicate or even buy as we're one of the oldest clubs in world football formed from a far older cricket club our club is important in the sense of the formation of the game and historically we're a big club but in terms of success we aren't big to be honest. We're important to us, the founding of the game and historically.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

Not THE most important, but important for sure. In the 1930s we were the best in the land, and in the early 1960s/1990s we were Certainly one of the top English clubs. Abroad,  I find that a lot of people have at least heard of Sheffield Wednesday, and the quirkiness of the name gets us a mention in all manner of books, including Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island. To keep being important, we need a longish spell in the premiership - hence the monumental significance of this season's remaining games!

The article states that the nearest Leicester have ever been to winning the league is when they finished runner up to Wednesday

I think that is relevant

And yes, we are the most important team in the world

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

2 hours ago, Milan Missing Marble said:

Leeds will say they are even though they've won less League titles than us :ghoulguy:

but seriously the truely massive top Premier League clubs and the European club giants make the likes of us and Leeds seem tin pot in reality to be honest, in terms of honours and money we are tin pot but we've got a long history to be proud of that other teams can't replicate or even buy as we're one of the oldest clubs in world football formed from a far older cricket club our club is important in the sense of the formation of the game and historically we're a big club but in terms of success we aren't big to be honest. We're important to us, the founding of the game and historically.

In a thread about Sheffield Wednesday being the most important club in the world, the first thing that springs into your mind is Leeds United.