Oxford UTD

Now we have all had time to digest what happened yesterday i feel strange about our fans reactions, maybe it's just online but since I joined OT (not that long ago) I feel some perspective is in order.

living between Banbury and France because of my job, I have had to entertain clients on various occasions and taken them to see Oxford UTD. For the younger on here, back in the day Oxford were a huge club, premier league equivilant. 

See now what's happened to them is they have a mixed fan base, those who remember to good times and constantly frustrated, and those who are happy winning and will support the club whatever league, whatever happens, always positive. Sound familiar? 

when they got a new owner with big plans, the crowd were fully supportive, new ground and hopes were high. It didn't work out.

negativity spreads, attendances fell, results suffered and relegation followed. Owners and fans got bored and greedy leaving the club high and dry. IMO this was down to a local majority of fans never supporting the club or change, in fighting spread, greed takes over  and the owners trying to keep sections on the fans happy but failing. 

Oxford UTD should be a case study for us, fans turning on one another, happy clappers vs "I've only missed 1 game in 50 years" crew. It really doesn't matter in the end. Every supporter has a view and is equally as important to the club by each fan being equally not important if you see what I mean, if you have never missed a game the club takes your view as no greater than someone who has never been.  Collectively however we do make a difference. 

We could have been Oxford, league one strugglers, no money and pooh squad. 

We are not, but we are lucky. An owner who wants to press on, good squad and good position and whatever your view on CC we he hope - and that's what football is all about HOPE. We cannot turn on one another as we will then appear the fans who cannot be pleased, making our club unattractive to everyone. 

I never want to see our club go like Oxford have, but fans can sometimes be there own worst enemy. 

We have hope and thats thats all that matters and some clubs would , in a heartbeat, would swap positions with us.

the players, coach, owners and some fans don't deserve the criticisms played upon them. 

WE ARE ALL WEDNESDAY and we have HOPE and we MUST NOT turn on each other now. 

Rant over 

lol

10 minutes ago, Spencerowl said:

Now we have all had time to digest what happened yesterday i feel strange about our fans reactions, maybe it's just online but since I joined OT (not that long ago) I feel some perspective is in order.

living between Banbury and France because of my job, I have had to entertain clients on various occasions and taken them to see Oxford UTD. For the younger on here, back in the day Oxford were a huge club, premier league equivilant. 

See now what's happened to them is they have a mixed fan base, those who remember to good times and constantly frustrated, and those who are happy winning and will support the club whatever league, whatever happens, always positive. Sound familiar? 

when they got a new owner with big plans, the crowd were fully supportive, new ground and hopes were high. It didn't work out.

negativity spreads, attendances fell, results suffered and relegation followed. Owners and fans got bored and greedy leaving the club high and dry. IMO this was down to a local majority of fans never supporting the club or change, in fighting spread, greed takes over  and the owners trying to keep sections on the fans happy but failing. 

Oxford UTD should be a case study for us, fans turning on one another, happy clappers vs "I've only missed 1 game in 50 years" crew. It really doesn't matter in the end. Every supporter has a view and is equally as important to the club by each fan being equally not important if you see what I mean, if you have never missed a game the club takes your view as no greater than someone who has never been.  Collectively however we do make a difference. 

We could have been Oxford, league one strugglers, no money and pooh squad. 

We are not, but we are lucky. An owner who wants to press on, good squad and good position and whatever your view on CC we he hope - and that's what football is all about HOPE. We cannot turn on one another as we will then appear the fans who cannot be pleased, making our club unattractive to everyone. 

I never want to see our club go like Oxford have, but fans can sometimes be there own worst enemy. 

We have hope and thats thats all that matters and some clubs would , in a heartbeat, would swap positions with us.

the players, coach, owners and some fans don't deserve the criticisms played upon them. 

WE ARE ALL WEDNESDAY and we have HOPE and we MUST NOT turn on each other now. 

Rant over 

lol

Just read this with my Oxford supporting bro in law.

He's a bit confused, very positive vibe down there, a team on the up!

2 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Im talking historically - I agree they are on the up now but in recent history all was not good. 

2 minutes ago, zzmdu said:

Was thinking that myself lol

Im assuming its the same Oxford United who are at their highest league position for about 20 years??

Is this the same massive Oxford who only ever reached the top league once because their owner Robert Maxwell over funded them way beyond their means by stealing money from his employees pensions funds but have otherwise always been a small provincial team bobbing back and forth in the lower divisions?

Good comparison!

1 minute ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Is this the same massive Oxford who only ever reached the top league once because their owner Robert Maxwell over funded them way beyond their means by stealing money from his employees pensions funds but have otherwise always been a small provincial team bobbing back and forth in the lower divisions?

Good comparison!

What a strange post, your missing the point. Irrespective of club as the comparison the point remains the same. 

Fans turning on each other is the point - Oxford is very much just one of many teams who have had negativity spread causing problems. 

The view on them is irrelevant surly?

As someone, who was born in Oxford, and grew up in Oxfordshire, but has also spent plenty of time living in Sheffield, there is no comparison. Oxford are quite well supported, and have a decent away following, but football down here is not the same as it is Sheffield. To a certain extent, and perhaps sadly, a big part of my life has been based around Sheffield Wednesday football club. 

I was a Wednesday fan before I moved to Sheffield, the only one in my school, but it was not until I moved up to Sheffield, that I knew what that really meant. 

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

As someone, who was born in Oxford, and grew up in Oxfordshire, but has also spent plenty of time living in Sheffield, there is no comparison. Oxford are quite well supported, and have a decent away following, but football down here is not the same as it is Sheffield. To a certain extent, and perhaps sadly, a big part of my life has been based around Sheffield Wednesday football club. 

I was a Wednesday fan before I moved to Sheffield, the only one in my school, but it was not until I moved up to Sheffield, that I knew what that really meant. 

I completely agree - my situation is in reverse to yours moving away  but have family still up there. It is different I agree but you could name several clubs who have suffered the same fate - Coventry being another.

my post however was about negativity and only using oxfords history as an example 

8 minutes ago, steveger said:

He just did :biggrin:

Please define HUGE? and what offends so many by calling them huge? Huge compared to Banbury UTD? Or huge compared to Man UTD? Huge or not in yoyr opinion they have been a bigger club then they are is my point FFS why can't you see that?