jordan rhodes

Rhodes isn't the type of player who'll run all over the shop chasing everything down and charging forward from his own area. He's a goal poacher, a typical striker, the man to put the ball in the net. His positioning is fantastic, look at how Alan Shearer use to play. He lacked pace, but his positioning was fantastic and natural ability to just know where to be at the right time, that's what Rhodes has. Unfortunately, we don't play to his strengths, we have one of the best strikers outside the prem, we MUST play to his strengths, he WILL get goals. 

We need to build around our best players and spine of our team, Hutch/Lee(when fit) Abdi/FF/Rhodes. Play to their strengths and the rest will come.

31 minutes ago, stanningtonowl said:

Rhodes, Winnall, Buckley, McManinam,Abdi,Jaoa. MaGeady last year. Carlos Carvahal the death knoll of wingers and footballers not in his gang. 

McGeady - looks quality for Preston this season. He was constantly sacrificed before anyone else last year which earnt him the tag of 'not being good enough' in most fans eyes. Anyone with an ounce of a football brain could see he had plenty of ability and as you point out, players like McManaman, Abdi and Buckley are getting/have had the same treatment.

25 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I agree with you, and yes Rhodes has that pedigree, but we needed to bring one in who would thrive in the system we played. In January, when we were chasing him, I had my doubts as to how well he'd do here. Nothing I've seen so far, has made me change my mind

We have a proven, prolific striker at our disposal. 

Again: Change the system.

Play Winnall alongside him, and give Callum McManaman a run out on the right wing, with instructions to whip in crosses 

like Hunt put in a few weeks ago.

If he wants to persist with Wallace, put him on the left, so he doesn't need to slow everything down by coming inside. 

Let's attack at pace, and let the opposition worry about us, instead of vice versa.

I love Carlos, but it's as though he's slowing turning into Alan Irvine. 

Just now, owlZfan84 said:

I totally disagree with the 'crap pen' comments.

JR went for placement, it was just a fantastic save from Green.

agree it was a good save.

Green had to get low to get his hand to it

1 minute ago, owlZfan84 said:

I totally disagree with the 'crap pen' comments.

JR went for placement, it was just a fantastic save from Green.

fantastic save?

seriously?

it was a shocking penalty

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Thats what I've been saying, what was the point

He is suffering in the same way Hooper did.  And he copped a lot of stick...a lot of it unfairly.

Perhaps people will start to understand it's down to the way we are setup and play - and that lies with the manager.

We are too slow and don't create enough - Messi would struggle in this side ATM.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

Guest RocketOwl

Rhodes pen was crap to be fair. I thought it at the time and Michael Gray also picked up on it. Look at his body language - it's obvious he's going where he did.

I really think all strikers should hit the ball hard and low the other way when right footed as you can generate more power?

Guest RocketOwl

Tbf to Rhodes his lack of chances and 1 goal in 6 game is not his fault, it's Forresteri fault, its Bannan and the midfield! It's Carlos fault. Once they all realise this I reckon he will start scoring like you all say.

1 hour ago, robowl4life said:

Rhodes isn't the type of player who'll run all over the shop chasing everything down and charging forward from his own area. He's a goal poacher, a typical striker, the man to put the ball in the net. His positioning is fantastic, look at how Alan Shearer use to play. He lacked pace, but his positioning was fantastic and natural ability to just know where to be at the right time, that's what Rhodes has. Unfortunately, we don't play to his strengths, we have one of the best strikers outside the prem, we MUST play to his strengths, he WILL get goals. 

We need to build around our best players and spine of our team, Hutch/Lee(when fit) Abdi/FF/Rhodes. Play to their strengths and the rest will come.

If you think Rhodes compares to Shearer I think you are going to be seriously disappointed. 

Hes is a fine goal poacher at this level but doesn't possess the power or strength that Shearer had. His actual strength is positioning and works well with a big striker. 

6 minutes ago, WaikanaeOwl said:

If you think Rhodes compares to Shearer I think you are going to be seriously disappointed. 

Hes is a fine goal poacher at this level but doesn't possess the power or strength that Shearer had. His actual strength is positioning and works well with a big striker. 

It was an example of a striker who didn't run all over the place chasing things down and sprinting with the ball from box to box like some obviously think he should be doing. 

Guest RocketOwl
5 minutes ago, A12owl said:

Prior to today Rhodes penalty record was 

Scored 15

Missed/saved 3

Not bad. 

I think he looked nervous before he took it . You still have to give Green credit for the save. If it had gone in then it would have been deemed as a "perfectly placed penalty" 

Aww was he nervous. He won't be nervous collecting his salary this week. Or maybe it was the Leeds fans being too noisy. Any other excuses we got for why he doesn't look like scoring? Westwood kicks too hard and high at him?

Carlos says it's because teams are so concerned about us that they are getting behind the ball, and sitting deep. Personally, I don't believe that's entirely true, and why would they, it's not as if we have an abundance of pace.

No matter, let's just go along with it for now. The way to tackle a packed defence, is ball into feet, quick one twos in and around the box. Forestieri is always looking to do this but Rhodes isn't on the same wavelength, it's not his game. In my opinion, we've got ourselves in a right old mess with, shall we say, less than targeted recruitment. 

When we were chasing JR quite a few on here were questioning the wisdom of it. The worry was the way we're playing we wouldn't create chances for him. How many clear cut chances has he had in open play? 

I've been worried about how we've been playing all season. Very few convincing performances and pretty dull - after playing some great stuff last season. Imagine Rhodes in last season's side. 

Guest RocketOwl
23 minutes ago, robowl4life said:

It was an example of a striker who didn't run all over the place chasing things down and sprinting with the ball from box to box like some obviously think he should be doing. 

You clearly know your stuff.

Shearer before his injuries did do everything a modern day striker does and better.

Shearer after his injuries assorted his game and was far stronger then Rhodes is showing, still faster and attached the ball with strength. Unlike Rhodes.

Guest RocketOwl
2 minutes ago, Royal_D said:

Forestieri should be taking penaltys anyway, and while we're on the case his effort against Brighton wasn't much better 

Shame FF was off them just because he missed 1. He scored all the other and some with great strikes.

people seem

to be forgetting the free header from the following corner Rhodes headed over too.