Hutchinson is the problem

Just now, frastheowl said:

Has been all season.

He's our been our best individual performer throughout the season, but the role he plays, means we constantly fail to take control of a game. 

We get away with it to an extent when Lee plays in there with him, because of his energy, but with players like Bannan or Abdi, we'll continue to lose that midfield battle.

I keep saying it, and I'm boring myself now, but every single one of our midfielders would be much more effective in a three man midfield. And it's absolutely baffling, we're still trying to shoehorn our best players into a system that is stifling their fantastic ability.

Bingo!

1 minute ago, frastheowl said:

Has been all season.

He's our been our best individual performer throughout the season, but the role he plays, means we constantly fail to take control of a game. 

We get away with it to an extent when Lee plays in there with him, because of his energy, but with players like Bannan or Abdi, we'll continue to lose that midfield battle.

I keep saying it, and I'm boring myself now, but every single one of our midfielders would be much more effective in a three man midfield. And it's absolutely baffling, we're still trying to shoehorn our best players into a system that is stifling their fantastic ability.

^^^^^^^ this.  All this crap about a midfield enforcer we need blah blah. 

He is it in a midfield 3. 

When I played and grew up 80s 90s there was no such defensive midfielder protecting the back 4. It's trendy granted but with our players we could outscore anyone. 

27 minutes ago, briggowl said:

No - Hutchinson in CM makes us a stronger team. He was good at CB but our season started when he moved to CM

It depends how you view it. Our awful performances actually coincide with Hutch's switch to CM. Bizarrely, we have actually picked up more points (but I'd argue that lady luck has been massively on our side) since then though hence why you would take that view. The issue is the games like today where we created no end product whatsoever and didn't capitalise on the fortune (the pen). I think Hutch should be moved back to CB - he is awesome in that position. That also allows us to drop the car crash waiting to happen which is Sasso and allows us to be more positive in midfield.

Hes asked to play deep then our 'wingers' play narrow in an attempt to plug the gaps and we rely on average full backs with 1 or 2 assists between them for crosses in a 4-1-3-2/tipless diamond.

In essence though the false wingers (usually wallace n reach) are neither wingers nor central midfielders and contribute very few goals or assists, in what are very boring, negative, hodgson like tactics that will never lead to promotion.

For starters macca should start on the right imo and the middle 2 will have to be mobile enough with maybe fessi dropping in the hole to link it up

Edited by Ash77

When we play Hutch as DM with Lees/Loovens at centre half and Westwood in nets, we look solid, very solid.  I go to games thinking we are unlikely to concede.

The problem being is that given he is very defensive it only leaves Bannan as the only centre midfielder and then we get over run. We must go with 3 in the middle and have 3 up front.  Wing backs to provide the width. This is the system we should be playing and I've been saying it all year.  

2 minutes ago, dani_armo said:

Hutchinson is not the problem in a million years he does what he's supposed to do and more.

Our problem is out wide, no width or pace and our full backs (who are supposed to provide width) are between em all pretty much our poorest players

He was mom again today 

It's far too defensive for the squad we have. 

Should have played CB whilst Lee was out. Sasso has been a nightmare to the stage sky were singling him out today for being a rabbit in headlights 

Hutchinson the problem, ha ha WTF

Some of you have very short memories, we tried Bannan in the same position but we got over ran by most sides.

We are looking at a team and wondering why we aren't creating anything, so the default is to look at the holding midfield player.

What about the other 5 players in midfield and attack who's job it is to create things?

Wallace doesn't go past a man and his only dangerous coming in on to his left foot, any half decent fullback will show him outside.

Reach creates very little, he got into a couple of decent positions and made the wrong decisions. Not really sure why he's always in the starting 11.

Rhodes is now running around a lot to little effect. 

I will say it again, if we are sticking with a 4-4-2 then we need to use McManaman, FF and Buckley out there.

With 2 out of Rhodes, Fletcher, Winnall and Hooper up top.

I think CC needs to be a bit braver.

8 hours ago, Stoop said:

This happened last season

He drops to centre half allowing Loovens and Lees to split, allowing the full backs to push up creating an attacking 3-5-2 formation

For whatever reason we don't play the same this year, the pressing game has completely gone, we seem more happy to let the opposition have the ball this year

We generally played with one winger who could beat a man and one who could cross... we don't have that dynamic any more. Or at least carlos does not play that dynamic.

9 hours ago, frastheowl said:

Has been all season.

It's even more baffling when he's written a book on the virtues of 433

10 hours ago, Slick. said:

The club recruited both Abdi and Jones to the total cost of £5-6 million just a few months ago.  If Carvalhal can't get a tune out of these two having spent significant fees, there is something very wrong.

McGugan won't play again for us.  The club have made their position crystal clear on that.  A real shame after he did so well for us on loan a couple of seasons back.

No its Carlos what made decision on mcgugan, if I was mcgugan I'd start a mini pre season now get as fit as possible as I see Carlos leaving us ,2 bad results and his position as manager will be over. At best he will be gone by summer.

11 hours ago, dani_armo said:

Hutchinson is not the problem in a million years he does what he's supposed to do and more.

Our problem is out wide, no width or pace and our full backs (who are supposed to provide width) are between em all pretty much our poorest players

He was mom again today 

Exactly, if we actually attack on the wings then Hutchinson's position becomes more important sitting in the midfield. It's those positions we need to sort. 

Agree with opening post. 

We looked our best last season when we had a Lee/Lopez or Lee/Bannan partnership. 

The insistence in playing him so deep reflects Carlos' negativity this season.

he plays so deep he's almost a third CB at times which is fine if your full backs are going to push very high up the pitch, essentially playing most of the game as wide men but they don't. I know they are better players but that's how Tottenham play.

We essentially have a back 5, two "wide men" who don't  really play wide, nor narrow, which leaves the other CM very exposed and often overrun.