£10m down the pan

30 minutes ago, shandypants said:

It wasn't a good penalty but that happens. He's there to take the chances to score goals not just to take penalties. I can't see  him getting many chances to take if we persist with these tactics. 

No excuse should not miss, so no it shouldn't happen. One golden chance, missed., dont care how the chance comes about it we paid big money, very poor effort and cost us a point.

6 minutes ago, Big Jack said:

No excuse should not miss, so no it shouldn't happen. One golden chance, missed., dont care how the chance comes about it we paid big money, very poor effort and cost us a point.

You miss my point. No forward will score every chance (penalty, set piece or open play) that is presented to him - no player! Therefore, we can forgive Rhodes his penalty miss. However, no player can take the chances if there are absolutely no chances to take. Rhodes is proven at this level. He has undoubted goal scoring ability but he needs the chances to score. 

1 hour ago, shandypants said:

Mr Chansiri needn't have thrown £10m down the sh1tter. If he wanted to sign a forward that his manager can't create chances for then he could have signed me for nothing. I feel sorry for Rhodes. He ought to bring a picnic blanket and sandwiches with him next match because he's become redundant with the way we play

we need to sign a player who can score a penalty valuable points drop at brighton & today.

penalties change games

1 hour ago, davey_wells said:

In fairness, we all knew that unless we changed the way we played, the Jordan Rhodes signing was sheer luxury, not what was required - especially with us already signing Winnall, Fletcher etc.

He's a good player - but we haven't improved with him in the team.

And the stats say it all - has he EVER gone so many games without scoring elsewhere in his career?

Course he has. Strikers score in patches.

Scored one goal in 16 from free play at one stage last season. 

Guest RocketOwl
9 hours ago, shandypants said:

Mr Chansiri needn't have thrown £10m down the sh1tter. If he wanted to sign a forward that his manager can't create chances for then he could have signed me for nothing. I feel sorry for Rhodes. He ought to bring a picnic blanket and sandwiches with him next match because he's become redundant with the way we play

lol

Carlos now is t creating chances for Rhodes.

Carlos fault he missed a pen, it's Carlos fault he missed a free header from the corner after and its Carlos fault when Reach out a great cross in Rhodes was no where to be seen - as the sky pundit stated he couldn't believe either.

Goalscorers like Rhodes only go a few games without scoring, David Hirst had a 7 or 8 game run without scoring in our promotion season. 

I'm 100% sure Rhodes will prove to have been a great signing over next few seasons with or without Carlos in charge. 

I'm more concerned with Adam Reach, a player who I'm not convinced he's worth money we paid for him. He's had a few decent games but also some awful one's like yesterday. 

Passing and crossing abysmal. 

Edited by bradowl

16 hours ago, sMacLean said:

He'll always get in positions to score, a top player.But we do nothing for our forwards, could have Lukaku upfront and wouldn't make much difference.The lack of chances much make every effort on goal feel so pressured.

Guarantee if Nuhiu had been playing, it would be all his fault, according to many.

Interesting how by signing a player the fans called for, dropping Bannan which the fans called for, playing Abdi which the fans called for, means the fans have less choices for scapegoating and turn to the manager instead.

16 hours ago, shandypants said:

It wasn't a good penalty but that happens. He's there to take the chances to score goals not just to take penalties. I can't see  him getting many chances to take if we persist with these tactics. 

Come on Shandy keep it real. His penalty was symptomatic of a player trying to regain his form and perhaps match fitness. It was just a weak effort.

With regard to our tactics yesterday everything was right barring the result. Before the game how many of us would have settled for us allowing Leeds one shot on target and for Westy to largely be a spectator at Elland Rd. We did this playing with 2 players up top and in the second half we were comfortably the better side. If that pen had gone in there wouldn't have been a fraction of all this bleating.  

None of us enjoy losing to Leeds, but the difference between the sides was largely Wood, who appears to be at the peak of his powers.  In a few months time, should we make the play offs we might have some of our forwards on fire. 

As as a collective we really need to man up on this one and continue to support the manager and team. All this whinging and whining is hugely counterproductive and for me, undeserved.

16 hours ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Marginally better than a well organised set of very average looking players? 

I thought leeds did a good job on us second half ,it's exactly what we would have done if we had scored the 1st goal .......2 very cautious managers who don't seem to have faith in there teams to play a more attacking style .

At the end of the day, we didn't need to sign the lad. Like Bulgaria has said already, a majority on here could have told you it was only going to work if we shaped our team and tactics around him.

Without him we would still have Fletcher, Hooper, Winall, Foresteri, Nuhui and young George Hirst as forward options.

The Chairman and manager have made a rod for their own back here, and I wouldn't be surprised to see JR benched for the next few games.

As I've said in another thread, when you've paid £10 million for a striker in this division at this stage of the season, you want an instant impact..maybe equalisers in games like yesterdays and Brentford.

1 in 6 might turn into 6 in 12, but opportunities to ****** points have already gone.

18 hours ago, shandypants said:

Really, seemed like he was gifted an excellent chance to me, 12 yards out just the keeper to beat?

We have 4 players who, between them, are capable of scoring 60-70 goals a season, but every striker needs the ammunition.

Abdi and Bannan are too light weight in midfield and the ball/move always seems to slow or stop at them.

How we are in the top 6 is beyond me, but we are and we don't seem to want to fight to remain there, we always struggle when teams get in our faces and want to go toe to toe with us.

The thing is, after thirty odd games, this is our approach, this is the way we are going to play. If so, is Jordan Rhodes a good signing? Never mind whether he might be if we played things differently, with the way we play now, in my opinion, he would be a complete waste of money. Ignore what he has done in the past, or what he might do in a different set up, and ask yourself, is he worth his place in the team? He clearly isn't