Baffling substitutions

Fletcher substitution was a master stroke. He was Leeds best defender. Winnall should have been the man for me. Reach is awful choose where CC plays him. And as for Sasso OMG. Loovens must be on tablets playing alongside him 

As Tinkerbell said in another thread. Carlos isn't looking like the man who can do this.

These haven't been one off substitution WTF's,
They have been happening all season..... all season.

The games we SHOULD have won, are becoming an embarrassment.
A substitution is supposed to shake up the opposition, the team are supposed to be aware of it, and also alter their structure

for what should be the better. How many times have we seen these decisions by him, and the team look round and think WTF.

He's too cautious, and negative with his substitutions. You cannot do that in this division, or you are going to finally come a cropper

And we have the past two games.

Edited by quinnssweetshop

36 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

We needed some pace and power up front, yet Carlos brings on Fletch instead of Winnall. 

He takes off Abdi who was our best player in the first half .

Baffling decisions . totally bizarre. 

I thought Abdi was anonymous first half. Shows how people see games differently.

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Centre mid off - centre mid on

Striker off - striker on

What's changed. Very little. 

Same system , same tactics,  same formation.

It's all the same, only the names that change. 

Correct.

Bannan was no better or worse than Abdi, and Fletch no better than Rhodes.

We were toothless all 90 minutes. The substitution had to be FF left and Fletch or Winnall to give Rhodes a partner.

Hopeless today Carlos.

You bought 10m pounds worth of striker and you are flushing it down the bog the way you are using him.

Edited by Holmowl

1 hour ago, Owl_in_Oz said:

We were completely dominating and obviously in need of a goal. 

CC then takes off Rhodes and Abdi and then we lose control of the game and don't even look like scoring. 

And Winnall was arguably MotM vs Birmingham and now can't get a game.  Why not bring him on?

I just can't work it out.  And I bet the players can't either.

Totally baffling.

Should have brought Winnall and Macca on for Wallace and Reach.  

Bannan and Fletcher made us worse. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Centre mid off - centre mid on

Striker off - striker on

What's changed. Very little. 

Same system , same tactics,  same formation.

It's all the same, only the names that change. 

Ticks Carlos' box. Bannan back on. Fletcher a big wage signing on so keeps Chansiri off his back...oh wait...

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Rhodes wasn't having a good game, but I'd have kept him on, he's proven to have the ability to score if that one chance drops to him.  Whereas Fletcher has never looked like scoring, ever.

Should have had Winnall on for Wallace, FF to the left and McManaman to the right.

That would've been my preference, dropping FF back into att mid would've meant we got to shove an *additional* striker on, not just swap like for like up front. We needed numbers going forward, not flick-ons - if there's nobody behind Fletch to pick them up, it's pointless; he needs to play as the deeper of two strikers if he's coming on late in a game where we're pushing against a physical but not overly quick defence.

I get the role CC was hoping Fletch could play, but it's only half the puzzle - he needed a partner playing off him. If you're only gonna bring on one striker and take one off, Winnall would've been far more effective around the edge of the box, which is as far forward as we ever really got in last 20min.

Edited by Mr. Tom

Fox should have stayed on, it should have been Reach making way for McManaman.

I would have brought Bannan on & Winnall.  But it would have been Abdi & Wallace coming off. Abdi played well but looked to be tiring. 

I would then have gone 433...

Have FF & Winnall chasing their defence & running the lines leaving Rhodes in the middle.

McManaman & Bannan in midfield able to make bursts forward, supported by Hunt & Fox supplying the crosses.

5 hours ago, Owl_in_Oz said:

We were completely dominating and obviously in need of a goal. 

CC then takes off Rhodes and Abdi and then we lose control of the game and don't even look like scoring. 

And Winnall was arguably MotM vs Birmingham and now can't get a game.  Why not bring him on?

I just can't work it out.  And I bet the players can't either.

I love Carlos, but what the hell is happening?

Seriously?

Is there something happening behind the scenes that we don't know about?

His tactics, formations and substitutions, have baffled me for a long time now.

Apparently, he's had books published regarding tactics etc. Yet look what's happening.

I went to the Brentford game, and I couldn't believe that he didn't bring McManaman on at half time. And when he did bring him on, he played him on the left instead of on the right. There were spells in that second half where McManaman and Fernando were both on the left, Winnall looked like a central midfielder playing in the middle, and Wallace was stood next to him, leaving Palmer with nobody to pass to. There was no shape, nothing. 

Why on earth has he not persevered with Rhodes and Winnall as a partnership? They should be starting every week.

McManaman should be given a run out on the right wing, where he can whip balls in at pace, for TWO forwards to attack. If he wants to persist with Wallace, he could play him on the left. Alternatively, he can play Fernando on the left, or even try him on the right. He has many options to choose from. Yet against Brentford, he played Bannan there. Why?

If he starts Rhodes and Fernando up front against Norwich, with Wallace on the right, I'll lose it. 

Guest RocketOwl
5 hours ago, alanharper said:

Rhodes wasn't having a good game, but I'd have kept him on, he's proven to have the ability to score if that one chance drops to him.  Whereas Fletcher has never looked like scoring, ever.

Should have had Winnall on for Wallace, FF to the left and McManaman to the right.

He did have that one chance