There is a reason for the lack of atmosphere...

...and it was clearly demonstrated tonight. Our typical style and tactics are boring to watch - they do get us the points more often than not but they are boring. The crowd came alive tonight when we were attacking - why? Because the style and tactics were exciting to watch. We all know that's the case. It's the great big fat elephant in the room.  

I am am so frustrated. It's driving me crazy. 

I sympathise and I totally agree that it needs to start on the field if they want the place rocking. That said as I mentioned in a thread last week I think the fans have to take the initiative if the team or tactics aren't going to produce starts we want. After all the crowd can and does make a huge difference, let's cheer in spite of our frustration.

Edited by Morepork

Good post, OP.

We are there to support the team for sure but there is a blatant correlation between exciting attacking football and positive volume from the stands. Not a difficult concept to grasp...or so you'd have thought.

No arguments with our league position but you're right...the football compared to last season is boring. Nobody can argue that surely.

2 minutes ago, Morepork said:

I sympathise and I totally agree that it needs to start on the field if they want the place rocking. That said as I mentioned in a thread last week I think the fans have to take the initiative if the team or tactics aren't going to produce starts we want. After all the crowd can and does make a huge difference, let's cheer in spite of our frustration.

Did you go tonight? If you did you'll have noticed  that the crowd had a go at lifting the team after about 15 minutes and the team just kept on p155ing about passing from side to side. 

10 minutes ago, shandypants said:

...and it was clearly demonstrated tonight. Our typical style and tactics are boring to watch - they do get us the points more often than not but they are boring. The crowd came alive tonight when we were attacking - why? Because the style and tactics were exciting to watch. We all know that's the case. It's the great big fat elephant in the room.  

True.

Nobody can cheer what we were served up for the first half hour.

It's impossible to cheer when we don't even have the ball.

Just now, shandypants said:

Did you go tonight? If you did you'll have noticed  that the crowd had a go at lifting the team after about 15 minutes and the team just kept on p155ing about passing from side to side. 

No and I've not seen it yet either, sounds frustrating as hell! It also leads me to having some sympathy for the players because when I've seen that before it's root cause is often tactical. Keep taking one for the team, hopefully this sitting back and handing the opposition the initiative will end soon. 

Guest The Horse

It's been said by managers since the game was invented.
'Our plan was to stifle the opposition and silence the crowd.'
If the team stifles itself, there's no hope.

24 minutes ago, shandypants said:

Fair point well made my friend

I don't agree...we have to be pragmatic a lot of the time..we don't have to go gung-hi just so Carlos can be in favour with the fickle as f fans like he's Kevin Keegan or somethin..he's still trying to come up with a solution to the tough practical sides such as hull were..this has worked quite a few times this season and people are still stupidly expectant and demanding..in my opinion this has ruined the atmosphere this season..I get it, the Sheffielders will chase him out of town eventually..its their way.

Edited by HIGHERSTATE

The reason there is a lack of atmosphere is because some people don't understand the way we set up OR the idea of support, for example instead of waiting for something to happen get behind them and try to create an atmosphere for the players to thrive on instead of sitting there and moaning to anyone who'll listen about anything other than football.

Pathetic blaming the fans for the atmosphere you can't possibly cheer such boring football for 90 minutes at a ferocious level what was the excuse for the wembley performance where our fans were flippingmagnificent yet the team still managed to perform like a flat pancake

5 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

The reason there is a lack of atmosphere is because some people don't understand the way we set up OR the idea of support, for example instead of waiting for something to happen get behind them and try to create an atmosphere for the players to thrive on instead of sitting there and moaning to anyone who'll listen about anything other than football.

If I moan I moan to myself at the match, I don't abuse the players but encourage very loudly. I don't wait for something to happen before I sing, in fact, I sang along every time with the rest of the Kop last night. I also understand how we set up - to state that people don't understand how we set up  is quite arrogant IMHO.  I also understand the idea of support having had continuously had a season ticket for nigh on thirty years and attending since the mid-seventies. Leave it out Tom. 

People should stop accusing their fellow fans of creating no atmosphere. It's down to the tripe that Carlos and the team are serving up. 

If Carlos wants to employ those tactics then he needs to accept that there is a real risk there will be no atmosphere. 

5 hours ago, TomtheOwl95 said:

The way we set up at home needs to change, up the tempo and get at the opposites then the supporters will be right behind the team.

7 hours ago, shandypants said:

Absolutely right and then Carlos moans about it having an effect on the team.

We have been so lucky with results over the last few weeks and last night we got our just desserts !