Excellent second half...

McManaman was an absolute nightmare for them the second he walked on to the end. Completely changed the game. Will definitely injure someone at some point, on the rare occasions he loses the ball he just gets the red mist immediately. We needed that tonight though. If he'd played the whole 2nd half we'd have drawn that.

Ah well, very good try 2nd half after a truly abysmal first. Nice warm Kop reaction to the vastly improved effort at full time. Forestieri went and gave their keeper a big WTF hug which kinda said it all.

Next!

Ah. Next.

To be honest mate, I'm sick of hearing the same old, same old.

If we're paying ultimate prices, we need to see ultimate football. 

I've paid it. And it was flipping garbage again tonight. When Brentford roll over us, like they did tonight, I want more for my money.

Edited by Furious George

10 minutes ago, 1963owl said:

their keeper won em the game,we put the effort in 2nd half

Exactly.. First half was dire. But how we didn't get a hatfull in 2nd half goes down to their keeper having a blinder. But being 2 nil down at home at half time to a Brentford side who didn't even have a fit striker on the pitch is shocking to be fair.

Very frustrating to come away with nothing tonight. Agreed we bossed the second half, but with Brentford defending a 2 goal lead they were always likely to sit back in the second half.

The most disappointing aspect was how slowly we started the match. We did nothing in the first 15 minutes and effectively gifted Brentford the initiative. 

Anyway we move on and hopefully repair the damage on Saturday. Also big hand for Fessi, I thought he was a class apart tonight.

Just watched the highlights and how we didn't score a hat full in the second half I don't know. We had one cleared off the line, hit the bar and had about nine shots saved and eight blocked. It was like watching a pinball game at times. Our players were lining up to have a shot and it just wouldn't go in. One of those nights I'm afraid. Just shows what fire power we have though when we choose to use it. Brentford were absolutely s****ing themselves after Macca came on. Also big shout out to FF who gave everything tonight - in both halves.

1 hour ago, crookesowl said:

Screw the first half. 

We won that second half 1-0, and it should have been 3-0 or 4-0. Mcmanaman and Nando were superb, as was their keeper. FF even went over and applauded him at the end of the game. 

Let's take the positives and move on. We go to Leeds looking for 3 points having hopefully learned a lesson or two tonight. 

Unfortunately it's a 90 minute game.

4 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

Very frustrating to come away with nothing tonight. Agreed we bossed the second half, but with Brentford defending a 2 goal lead they were always likely to sit back in the second half.

The most disappointing aspect was how slowly we started the match. We did nothing in the first 15 minutes and effectively gifted Brentford the initiative. 

Anyway we move on and hopefully repair the damage on Saturday. Also big hand for Fessi, I thought he was a class apart tonight.

Bossed the second half.

That point when Brentford were two nil up.

That wasn't good enough tonight. We got dicked on by a team that had no strikers, and they rolled over us.

Not good enough. Nowhere good enough for the more we spent. 

Guest Copthorneowl

This must be my 15 th post simply asking for McManaman to be given a fair crack.  He's got the pedigree put the boy on Carlos what's to lose.

is it only me that thinks the difference between the 2 halves was the wind? 

had we kicked towards kop 1st half we could have been outa sight. i thought the wind in our face made us go negative and get to HT at 0-0 hence that dire 1st half performance. 

we was always gonna batter them 2nd half, but because of the conditions rather than being 2-0 down and them sitting in..

or am i talking cwap? i was sat in the Grandstand so didnt feel any wind up there but a few of Westy's kicks kinda came back towards him 1st ten mins and we sort of went into panic mode and tried to run the clock down from that point. 

weird performance 1st half though

49 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Brentford are a very very ordinary championship side. We approached the game as though they were Real Madrid...Crazy I know, especially because we have done the exact same quite often this season. Just don't get it. Why are we trying to contain known ordinary run of the mill sides?

I accept we may come unstuck occasionally but I'm not convinced we would have less points overall if we adopted a much more positive game plan.

The first half was very Alan Irvine-esque. We didn't want to do anything with the ball, our sole aim was to not go behind. Poor decisions, from both the officials and the players, meant this wasn't the case. 

The second half was a glimpse of the attacking threat of a team we could be if we set up to attack from the first whistle.