Barry Bannan LM

We know from last season when Bannan plays LM it is not our best team, he is not a left winger never has been, he's a central midfielder, why does CC keep trying to accommodate him into the side?

The only way we can get away with it is if Abdi has a stormer as he's the man keeping BB out of the central role, just like he did Saturday vs Forest. Abdi playing well combined with picking up 3 points and we just move on, paper over the cracks.

I just don't understand why Reach is playing LB when he's our best LM by a country mile, Pudil on the bench as well so it's not like it's a forced change.

No width, no pace, no creativity, no drive and no understanding when BB plays LM, so frustrating.

He either plays CM with Hutchinson or he doesn't play at all, stop trying to force your favourite players into the side Carlos, it's not taking us forward.

Edited by Lionel Fessi

1 minute ago, RockieOwl said:

Bannan plated left most of last season. Our run in at the end was Lopez and Lee in the middle. When Hutch was fit he played instead of Lopez. 

He also played LM in the playoff final and look how that finished?

We did not have a LM at all to play there last season, unless you include Sougou...this season we actually have proper quality wingers, no reason he needs to be in that position when we have better.

Bannan did have some good games out on the left last season. This season it hasn't worked and I will admit that I wish Carlos would bite the bullet and admit that a very talented central midfielder simply has to be left out of our side if he wants to carry on playing 4-4-2 as we need wingers with a few more orthodox skills. Bannan and/or Abdi can't play out wide.

12 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Bannan did have some good games out on the left last season. This season it hasn't worked and I will admit that I wish Carlos would bite the bullet and admit that a very talented central midfielder simply has to be left out of our side if he wants to carry on playing 4-4-2 as we need wingers with a few more orthodox skills. Bannan and/or Abdi can't play out wide.

Bannan played left of a 3 man attacking midfield in a 4-2-3-1. Forestieri in behind Hooper and Wallace right. The security came from the two in front of the back 4 with Lee capable of springing forward. 

Time to go back to what works. 

59 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

He also played LM in the playoff final and look how that finished?

We did not have a LM at all to play there last season, unless you include Sougou...this season we actually have proper quality wingers, no reason he needs to be in that position when we have better.

So you single out one match out of the season?

He played LM most of the season and was in the team of the year

1 minute ago, RockieOwl said:

So you single out one match out of the season?

He played LM most of the season and was in the team of the year

He played combinations of LM/CM last season.

He is a good midfielder i'm not denying that, but in our current side playing him in the LM makes us a weaker team.

21 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Agreed he did, but even on his day your only getting a 7/10 performance from him out there, it's not his natural position.

He doesn't have the qualities to be an effective winger, with options like Reach, Wallace, Macca, FF senseless to play BB out wide.

Formation dilemma for us is we have too many good strikers to not play a 442, can you imagine only playing one of Rhodes/Hooper/Fletcher and Winnall! And that's assuming FF is forced to LM/RM!

4 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

Bannan played left of a 3 man attacking midfield in a 4-2-3-1. Forestieri in behind Hooper and Wallace right. The security came from the two in front of the back 4 with Lee capable of springing forward. 

Time to go back to what works. 

That doesn't work.

It did okay for us for one season and through mainly luck we made a playoff final where we got a reality check on how far we are from being a top championship side. 

I would like to see us play that formation but without Lee we lack that dynamic attacking threat from midfield, (maybe Abdi can provide this & BB can also do this to a degree). Either way a 4231 with Hutchinson/Abdi then Reach/FF/Macca behind Rhodes/Hooper works for me but i doubt we will ever see this due to CC persistence to stick with a 442.