The Owls vs Brentford. Official Matchday Thread.

BJyDHtd.png          HecFj7q.png

Hillsborough Stadium, Sheffield

19:45 Friday, 21 Feb 2017

TODAY’S OPPOSITES

Brentord have racked up a very impressive list of honours - have a look!

Division 3 South - Runners-up, 1929-30

Best team photo in which all the players are smoking pipes and wearing top hats, 1931

Division 3 South - Champions, 1932-33

Division 2 - Champions, 1934-35

Shandy Drinkers Shield - Runners-up,1952

Division 3 South - Runners-up, 1957-58

Division 4 - Champions, 1962-63

Freight Rover Trophy - Runners-up, 1985

Division 3 - Champions, 1991-92

Division 3 - Champions, 1998-99

LDV Vans Trophy - Runners-up, 2001

Eel Molesters Vase - Runners-up, 2004

League 2 - Champions, 2008-09

Johnstones Paint Trophy - Runners-up, 2011

League 1 - Runners-up, 2013-14

RY0DtVM.jpg

Their finest achievment to date was of course being the first team in the Championship to have the Giant Shadow Llama visit their ground and at the same time be featured in the Tay Tay gif of the Owlstalk Official Matchday Thread. We won 2 - 1 at theirs, ate all the chips and drank all the beer.

Giant Shadow Llama was actually born a few days before at St James Park, Newcastle or The Mike Ashley Palace of Money Making Mischief as they call it now, during an unholy union between an Owls fan’s hand and a Toon floodlight on that magnificent night as we thrashed them 1 - 0 in the league cup.

lVMzJ3m.jpg

Giant Shadow Llama will be there today as well, to ensure that even more pudding is rubbed into the faces of the hapless Brentford players as we score goal after goal after goal.

MATCHDAY THINGS

Official Matchday Pie: I don’t know about you, but I’m having four.

Official Matchday Drink: Have a guess…

Official Matchday Song: “But I Do” by Poldoore…

Play-off hopefuls Sheffield Wednesday are again likely to be without left-back Morgan Fox (ankle) for Tuesday's visit of Brentford in the Championship. Defender Tom Lees (knee) is still out, while striker Gary Hooper (thigh) is a doubt for the sixth-placed Owls.

Brentford's Philipp Hofmann is absent, but the club hope an injection of top grade smack will enable him to return at the weekend. Midfielder Nico Yennaris should be in the squad despite getting bitten off a calf. Long-term absentees Rico Henry (shoulder) and Alan Judge (broken leg) are back on the spliffs, but not yet ready to make a comeback.

NDL2Et4.png Head To Head 3QAPpqW.png

▪    The Owls have won four and lost none of their last seven league games against Brentford (D3).

▪    Brentford are winless in their last three trips to Hillsborough in league competition (D1 L2), failing to score in each game.

▪    Sheffield Wednesday have won four consecutive league games for the first time this season; they last won five in a row in April 2007.

▪    Brentford have lost their last three away league games; they've not suffered four consecutive defeats since March 2016 - a run which included the Owls.

▪    Keiren Westwood has kept a clean sheet in five of his last six league games at Hillsborough for Sheffield Wednesday.

4fNmOog.png

KING CARLOS’ PEARLS OF WISDOM

“We are now like adults in the competition. Last season, we were more like the children sometimes but we have learned, we have grown. This what you must do to achieve success. You must progress year after year because if you do not, you stand still. We have more points than last season and we are in a stronger position than last season. We are in a good place. But adults continue to learn just like the children. We will continue to focus on one game at a time and never look further than this. The next game is Brentford, Nottingham Forest is gone. We must only look forward.

ejtYMYI.jpg

Against the Nottingham they were fantastic goals, of course. The goal was amazing from Abdi but even without the goal I would be happy with him for his performance and the henergy he gave to the midfield. I didn’t see the celebrations for the second because I was celebrating with my assistants also but it was a nice goal! I must say, the most important to me is the team work. Not just the goals they are scoring, Fernando is also doing very good team work. Him and Jordan Rhodes are the same, like when Steven Fletcher comes on and Sam Winnall, they did fantastic team work. Team work is the principle, the basic and all the players did absolutely fantastic.

We need a fantastic atmosphere on Tuesday. Brentford didn’t play on Saturday, they will be fresh and this can make a difference.But we can put this difference down if our fans make a big impact in the game.”

MINTYNESS

We are here to fight…

3ZFNjiN.gif

Top grade smack lol! 

Classic MDT,  P.  Thanks for staying up late to make my morning commute to the office more fun. 

Tonight's another big un.  Momentum going into Leeds game would be huge. 

I'd rest a couple,  Jones in for Hutch, Wallace in for Bannan,  Macca in for Reach, Winnall in for Rhodes.  

Be good to have the full henergy for Weeds. 

UTMO! 

3 points by any means possible. This will be my stance for the rest of the season.

Play the best team possible, they have a decent midfield.  Rhodes to get on the score sheet hopefully.

We have 3.5 days rest between this and the Leeds match; a win against Brentford and the fact that its a Yorkshire derby against a play off rival live on TV,  to give us energy!

A very good morning to you all., wonderful stuff from Pauli - a poignant reminder of the origins of the Giant Shadow Llama. I have every confidence it'll fookin' wreck all them Bees that Brentford bring. Not sure how I feel about the cake pictures though, leaves me rather tempted to retrieve a slice of my homemade chocolate cake from downstairs despite the ungodly hour. 

We've won four games in a row, times are good and a win tonight will take us up to 5th if not 4th (that will happen if Huddersfield beat Reading). Couldn't be a better launching pad for a crunch match at Elland Road on Saturday. That said, Brentford aren't to be taken lightly, they're a solid outfit, if lacking in flare after the departures of their top players. There haven't been many occasions when we've simply outclassed a team more than in our 4-0 win over them at Hillsborough last season so let's hope for more of that and less of Westwood shanking clearances straight into the legs of an oncoming striker. 5 wins in a row would be a rather effective way for Carlos to silence the doubters and would really show us as key players in the promotion race. Hopefully Abdi keeps his place in the team and turns in another sterling performance, while another goal for either Rhodes or Winnall would be a terrific boost as they continue to integrate into the squad. 

To all those going tonight - you're all lucky basttards and I'm green with envy :biggrin: Think this may be the week where I renew my season ticket for another year though - and I'm definitely not half-basing my choice of uni on proximity to Hillsborough or anything. Not at all... :ph34r:

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

Wednesday 2-0 Brentford (Forestieri 24, Bannan 69)

Great OMDT again Pauli!

Giant Shadow Llama... what a year!... what would we do without him in our match day threads?

Single handedly the best thing I've ever "created" on Owlstalk and possibly my life!

I'd like to thank the academy, the sausage cottage, Taylor Swift, Taylor Swifts Nan, Sausage arms, The little people... Barry Bannan and Paul Heffernan, Reda Johnsons Eyebrows, The Smurfs, Bill AND Ted, Optimus prime, The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and most importantly The Members of Owlstalk whom without this award would mean very little!

I'm in a good mood this week so I'm hoping Wednesday don't spoil it, no game left is easy we have simply just gotta keep wining I'm gonna go for a Wednesday 2-0 win with Rhodes and Wallace scoring

RELEASE THE LLAMA

OF THE GIANT SHADOW KIND

IF FESSI SCORES 

HE'LL GO OUT OF HIS MIND! 

IMG_5395.JPG.4664a32d9ac9834b57e10c70c1e2aee8.JPG

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

Forgot to thank you Pauli for taking Giant Shadow Llama under your wing (parrot pun) without your efforts a lot of people wouldn't have been able to enjoy him!

im not sharing my award but I'll will send you this picture of Carlos doing a kissy face

IMG_5396.JPG.074aeab3de1a237002b2f2f2423dc525.JPG

UP THE OWLS!

Let's smash the eel munchers!!!!!