M1 ROADWORKS

Decided to head back to the North West over the snake last tue..big mistake..

Got stuck behind about 4 trucks...

Got on m60 and entry onto m61 was closed so decided to do m62 then m6 north..

Entry from M62 to M6 north closed at Haydock..

Carried on to a50 warrington to pick up m6 north and entry onto m6 north from a50 closed...

Followed detour for 30 minutes finally got on m6 north.. got home an hour later than should have at

12.30...Proper angry.. some reyt pointing going on in the car at the closure signs...

16 hours ago, dumboldowl said:

Thank you all for your help.  The diversion signs were truly horrendous. I'm not sure whether I misread them or not, but I ended up leaving the M1(S) at J32 and travelling to M18 J1 in order to return to the M1. Did anyone else have the same problem, or am I a navigational failure?

Had the same trip.

Guest 1banana2banana

The issue with these roadworks is lack of competition for the jobs. If they had to bid for the work and timescale was put in as a major factor, the m1 work would have been done in no time. And I don't care how much work is involved, anyone who's been to Germany or the states will know that they can build a whole new motorway in 6 months. 

We just accept it 

Edited by 1banana2banana

3 hours ago, Big Ron's Sovereign said:

Luckily you got out in time before it all kicked off 

Depends how how you look at it. I only joined for the chance to shoot people. 

lol

2 hours ago, parkerowl said:

Ahh fair play, respect. what regiment were you part of ? 

Sherwood foresters. Now Mercian regt 

1 hour ago, 1banana2banana said:

The issue with these roadworks is lack of competition for the jobs. If they had to bid for the work and timescale was put in as a major factor, the m1 work would have been done in no time. And I don't care how much work is involved, anyone who's been to Germany or the states will know that they can build a whole new motorway in 6 months. 

We just accept it 

Plenty of competition for the jobs. Costain won the contract for this one...

http://www.theconstructionindex.co.uk/news/view/costain-wins-125m-m1-upgrade-work

Still saying scheduled to be closed at Junction 34 from 21.30 - but its not officially happening until it happens which is right useful. I would avoid if you can 

The traffic management company won't close it until the head of works says they're ready to start. 

Bear in mind that for every hour they go over the scheduled re opening time the works co get fined £10k

they need to make sure they're ready to roll. I'm afraid they don't give a throw about wether there's a match on or not. 

Went down the A61 to Chesterfield then A617 to M1 South tonight for the first time, instead of doing the Parkway to the M1. Got home 20 minutes quicker! One slight positive from tonight...

Way less time spent in traffic, and 5 miles less according to Google. Would have been even more time saved if part of the A61 wasn't closed off due to an accident, had to divert through Chesterfield town. Hope everyone got back okay.

Downside to the route is passing through Bramall Lane :duntmatter:

Just got back took ages to get out from Claywheels Lane but then thru town to A57 no probs. Blooming nasty looking smash northbound at Watford Gap though - traffic that bad fire engines were struggling to get to the incident