The Westwood penalty incident

I listened to the game but missed Westwood's penalty incident and save.

Heard after that it was a clear goalscoring chance but wasn't a red because of the new rules. I'm confused as I thought the rules were meant to be coming in for this season but then I hadn't seen any evidence of it so far this season. Is it only for incidents involving fouls the keeper makes?

It's bloody good that it's been added however it works now and finally benefited us for once. Things like this happening do give the feeling it could be our year! Westwood going off would have changed the game even if Wildsmith came on and save the pen.

Can someone clear it up for me?

Edited by swfc-dan

5 minutes ago, ANDY said:

So it's just for accidental fouls deny clear scoring opportunities now. I'd like to see it for all clear scoring opportunity/penalty incidents, unless the foul is worthy of a red in itself. But it's a step in the right direction.

Thanks a lot.

Just now, Mr. Tom said:

More than redeemed himself a minute later.

Yeah as a keeper it's not so difficult to judge, you never want to concede so you make a split second decision, if you don't go in for the ball it's a goal, if you go in for it there's a chance you stop it but a bigger chance you commit a foul. 

The new rule helps keepers no doubt but i think it's right about not 'double' punishing teams.

2 minutes ago, RyanSWFC said:

By the letter of the law, the referee was probably right in giving only a yellow.

But, had it been the other way around and the Forest keeper bringing down one of our strikers, i'm sure we would all be screaming for a red card.

Only if he had broken our players shoulder.....then I think red would be correct for violent conduct.

Ask Buckley what he thinks

1 minute ago, stocksyuto said:

Its one of those were he stayed down and feigned injury so only got a yellow if he had popped straight up maybe red. He played a blinder with the pen

Ref got the yellow out straightaway before it was apparent that Westwood was staying down.