A Quick Run Down of Last Night

Best keeper in the Division.

Two full backs capable of getting crosses in for the strikers.

Two, solid, competent, centre backs and collectively, as a defensive unit, produced another clean sheet.

Two wide men who gave their opponents a tricky time, and who offer a goal threat.

A competent central midfield pairing.

Two proper strikers up front, starting to develop a partnership, who actually got some service, and put the ball in the net.

Looked like a solid, organised, balanced, and effective unit last night.

All coming together just at the right time.

Lees, Lee, and Hooper weren't even options.

Finally, we're going up.

That is all.

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

Great summary.

We looked genuinely balanced. Surely Carlos will see this as the way forward through to May?

No need to change for the next game for sure (unless there's an injury or suspension I've overlooked?)

Keep winning teams going, then change when we lose is my mantra.

I thought we missed Lee in the middle last night when Birmingham were having their spell. Fessi didn't help out Fox very much and Brum seemed to have too much space on their left too.

But with our quality back four, Sam Hutchinson and the fact we have two great strikers, means we were always a threat. I REALLY enjoyed last night.

The one worry I have is that Fessi will continually agitate to play up front, and in doing so will either upset the harmony in the dressing room, or spoil a highly promising team shape.

i really really hope I'm wrong, and he just behaves professionally and accepts wherever Carlos asks him to play.

1 minute ago, talon said:

The one worry I have is that Fessi will continually agitate to play up front, and in doing so will either upset the harmony in the dressing room, or spoil a highly promising team shape.

i really really hope I'm wrong, and he just behaves professionally and accepts wherever Carlos asks him to play.

Guess we'll see but f we're doing well, and that were to happen, I don't see anyone arguing about moving him on if he does it for a second time.

Once can be forgiven, giving him a chance to redeem himself, but not twice.

Hopefully, won't even be a topic of future conversation however.

7 minutes ago, talon said:

I'm sure he will otherwise he will be joining the list of others in the wilderness , he's a fantastic player but both Reach and Wallace can play effectively on the left and he knows this.

last night wasn't his best but he still created problems for Them all night ,at times Insu was a scared rabbit wondering what he would do next , i.e. Giving away a needless corner. 

Back to our ways of last season last night i.e. always looked like scoring but more importantly, quickly set up those two banks of four defensively when needed, and ran their knackers off for each other.

Also, quick to break when the opportunity arose.

Looks like we can now confirm that with some of our earlier season signings now "getting it", snd our two new strikers being proper strikers, who've fitted in straight away, we're now "on our way".

Special mention for Winnall. Thought he was terrific. Always made the right runs, found the right positions in the box. Provided their defenders with a physical battle. Won battles, capable of holding the ball up, provided link play. This kid is an under-rated, top-notch striker, and I can see this already.

Well pleased with Winnall and can now understand why Barnsley fans are gutted to lose him.

Edited by theowlsman

22 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Two, solid, competent, centre backs and collectively, as a defensive unit, produced another clean sheet.

Two wide men who gave their opponents a tricky time, and who offer a goal threat.

Two proper strikers up front, starting to develop a partnership, who actually got some service, and put the ball in the net.

Finally, we're going up.

That is all.

I thought the two wide men spent too much time cutting inside leaving acres of space on the wings, but I think this is playing to orders.

Really happy with last night's performance, was very professional from us soaked up a little pressure & sure we got a little lucky what with Brum hitting the woodwork a few times. But we were fantastic on the break & for once prolific infront of goal!! Buzzing for both Rhodes & Winnall & Fox looks a decent upgrade at left back

Edited by Mat-Owl

2 minutes ago, Mat-Owl said:

Really happy with last night's performance, was very professional from us soaked up a little pressure & sure we got a little lucky what with Brum hitting the woodwork a few times. But we were fantastic on the break & for once prolific infront of goal!! Buzzing for both Rhodes & Winnal & Fox looks a decent upgrade at left back

That's it Mat. That's the word. Professional.

The two things i would add are that it's easy to see where in that line up you can make broadly like for like replacements eg hooper for one of the front two; abdi for bannan.  Secondly while it was enjoyable it wasn't by any means a finished performance.  There is a good deal still to work on. Which is immensely encouraging. 

Good performance and a good win against a decent side. Our woodwork played a blinder blocking everything. 2 proper attackers. Fox looked decent, Hunt played well.

Hope Fessi can get his head right, he's very important but he needs to accept that if we need him on the wing he should accept it, similarly if he gets subbed it's because that's what the manager thinks best. He's part of a team, potentially a very good team.

I'm still confused by Sasso ducking that cross, at first it looked like he got a shout from another player but I can't see who would have done that. Maybe it was just a brain fart, could have cost us.

4 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

The two things i would add are that it's easy to see where in that line up you can make broadly like for like replacements eg hooper for one of the front two; abdi for bannan.  Secondly while it was enjoyable it wasn't by any means a finished performance.  There is a good deal still to work on. Which is immensely encouraging. 

Absolutley bang on. 

Are we about to time our concerted promotion push / winning streak immaculately?

Guest mrbluesky
43 minutes ago, theowlsman said:

Finally, we're going up.

That is all.

Yep and the stand out thing for me...every dead ball, set piece was an actual threat,I really think now we have 2 target men this will get better.

Just now, Mat-Owl said:

Really happy with last night's performance, was very professional from us soaked up a little pressure & sure we got a little lucky what with Brum hitting the woodwork a few times. But we were fantastic on the break & for once prolific infront of goal!! Buzzing for both Rhodes & Winnall & Fox looks a decent upgrade at left back

Everyone keeps going on about them "hitting the woodwork a few times".

1. The ball has to go between the woodwork to score.

2.  Nuhiu hit the bar just before they got the winner at St Andrews, so what ?  

3.  JJ hit the bar v PNE once, it rebounded to him and he hit the same spot on the bar again, it's still two misses.

4. Most importantly, the first one hit the very outside of the post via deflection.  Another clipped the very top of the bar from distance. Sounds daft but they weren't really threatening and would probably have been saved if they'd been on target, which they weren't.  Can't remember the other one!

Apart from that, this post is spot on.

30 minutes ago, talon said:

One of the unsung things that I like about Carlos is that he is no soft touch. Not one for any player to get on the wrong side of it seems so I have no doubts that he'll deal decisively and effectively with ant rumblings (if they occur). Smiling assassin.