Almen 'The Professor' Abdi

Guest RocketOwl

Guest RocketOwl

So now the dust has settled on a lacklustre performance but much needed win, I guess like most I have been debating how we could improve performances. How do we get that fluidity back from last season?

We have lost that hunting in packs mentality we had from last season, the pressing of the ball, the fast attacks. It is all too predicable at the moment. Backwards, sideways, Loovens stands on the ball for 2 minutes back to Westwood. Last night only Fernando showed the appetite to win the ball back like we did last season. We need the rest of the team to show his work rate and pressing ability. Only Fernando looked to take a quick throw in or free kick.

One area that could help us immediately is to trust Abdi tn the centre of midfield. He is a centre midfielder. He has not been given any chance to show his worth in this position. I really don't think he could play worse than Jones did last night. Abdi is a clever player, will keep the ball and look to move forward. Bannan will be better too as Abdi can play the one two that Lee does.

On top of that we need Hooper back and linking the attacks. The reason our game has changed so much is this one touch fast football has stopped. It is not all Carlos fault as Hooper and Lee are big big components to this way of playing, his handling of Abdi is debatable.

To summarise I think this team would be as close to playing like last season as possible.

Westwood

Palmer - It shows how bad Hunt has got that Palmer is ahead of him.

Loovens

Lees

Reach - I think he is better at left back currently.

Wallace

Abdi

Bannan

Fernando

Hooper

Rhodes.

Hunt and Pudil need dropping for weeks until they get their form back. They have been embarrassing the last few weeks. No where near the standard they set themselves last season. Hunt looked feeble last night, absolutely pathetic. Whilst Pudil looks like his legs have gone.

Guest RocketOwl
3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Im not sure how being injured is converted into not being given a chance.

I'm not sure what would have been gained from playing him while he was injured.

Now he's fit he'll get an opportunity

When Abdi was fit, he was being played on the wing.

A midfield of Bannan and Abdi is not the way forward. It's OK looking at a players strengths (or assumed strengths in Abdi's case!), but you can't blatently ignore their weaknesses. All players have them and they need to be consider when picking the side.

The only way we'll see the best out of Abdi is to play a 3 man midfield. Now whether that's a 4-2-3-1, with Abdi as the No.10, and Hutch and Bannan (or Jones) as the double pivot, or in a 4-3-3 with Hutch as a deep pivot and Bannan and Abdi given licence in front to get forward, or as a lopsided, narrow 4-4-2 like we played last season, I don't know. But the fact remains, we continue to play with two wide men (Reach, Wallace, McManaman), we won't see the best of Abdi in my opinion. 

For me, the whole squad is suited to a 4-3-3 at home, and perhaps a 4-2-3-1 away from home. But we've now got so many strikers, that I cannot see us play either system at all. I've come to accept that we'll not see Abdi at his best in a Wednesday shirt. It was one signing that should have improved the team, but it just hasn't worked out.

3 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Im not sure how being injured is converted into not being given a chance.

I'm not sure what would have been gained from playing him while he was injured.

Now he's fit he'll get an opportunity

Not being selected because of injury doesn't count when discussing Carlos' team selections, you should know this by now.

You are also allowed to hint that injuries aren't real injuries at all when debating this topic on here.

So many people moaning last night that CC doesn't know what he's doing because he doesn't play Abdi in what would be a totally unsuitable role. It's good affirmation that most haven't got a clue what they're on about.

E.G. Some wanted a straight swap for Jones, so basically saying that he's a replacement for Hutch. He's not that player.

Guest RocketOwl
Just now, Dave T said:

You seem to have forgot our best player in your team selection Hutch is a must 

Tbf this is an error I did forget Hutchinson - he would be in my first choice team.

Even more reason to play Abdi if he has Hutch in there to help him.

I do agree that Abdi and Bannan is too lightweight for away games - but at home when teams come to defend I can see it being fine.

1 minute ago, RocketOwl said:

When Abdi was fit, he was being played on the wing.

He has not been 100% fit since he arrived, its been frustrating for all parties.

Simply some folk oh CC dont fancy him even though CC asked DC to sign him.

Have you heard CC moaning that he has been unfit, no he knows you just have to get on with it, don't stop people though making wrong assumptions though.

Guest RocketOwl
1 minute ago, Sonny said:

So many people moaning last night that CC doesn't know what he's doing because he doesn't play Abdi in what would be a totally unsuitable role. It's good affirmation that most haven't got a clue what they're on about.

E.G. Some wanted a straight swap for Jones, so basically saying that he's a replacement for Hutch. He's not that player.

Abdi must be competing with Bannan then and Hutch with Jones.

Hopefully he can push for a start if Bannan drops.

Guest RocketOwl

I wonder what Carlos had in mind for Abdi when he agreed to sign him?

It is strange he has never tried a 4-5-1 away from home with Abdi in a free role.

7 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

A midfield of Bannan and Abdi is not the way forward. It's OK looking at a players strengths (or assumed strengths in Abdi's case!), but you can't blatently ignore their weaknesses. All players have them and they need to be consider when picking the side.

The only way we'll see the best out of Abdi is to play a 3 man midfield. Now whether that's a 4-2-3-1, with Abdi as the No.10, and Hutch and Bannan (or Jones) as the double pivot, or in a 4-3-3 with Hutch as a deep pivot and Bannan and Abdi given licence in front to get forward, or as a lopsided, narrow 4-4-2 like we played last season, I don't know. But the fact remains, we continue to play with two wide men (Reach, Wallace, McManaman), we won't see the best of Abdi in my opinion. 

For me, the whole squad is suited to a 4-3-3 at home, and perhaps a 4-2-3-1 away from home. But we've now got so many strikers, that I cannot see us play either system at all. I've come to accept that we'll not see Abdi at his best in a Wednesday shirt. It was one signing that should have improved the team, but it just hasn't worked out.

I agree with that - a rigid 4-4-2 doesn't work for us - we simply don't have the players for it.

5 minutes ago, frastheowl said:

For me, the whole squad is suited to a 4-3-3

Long been my view from last season. 

Hutchinson at the base and any two of Bannan,  Abdi,  Lee in front of him. Even Reach , Wallace I  some games. 

Front wide players from FF, Ross, Macca,  Reach, Buckley.

And almost an embarrassment of choice at centre forward!

I would have played Abdi in for Jones last night. Don't forget Abdi played nearly all his games for watford last season at right full back so he knows how to tackle. From my perspective CC looks at Abdi and its a straight choice now between Bannan and Abdi.

My honest opinion is that  come the end of the season he'll be off .

22 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

So now the dust has settled on a lacklustre performance but much needed win, I guess like most I have been debating how we could improve performances. How do we get that fluidity back from last season?

We have lost that hunting in packs mentality we had from last season, the pressing of the ball, the fast attacks. It is all too predicable at the moment. Backwards, sideways, Loovens stands on the ball for 2 minutes back to Westwood. Last night only Fernando showed the appetite to win the ball back like we did last season. We need the rest of the team to show his work rate and pressing ability. Only Fernando looked to take a quick throw in or free kick.

One area that could help us immediately is to trust Abdi tn the centre of midfield. He is a centre midfielder. He has not been given any chance to show his worth in this position. I really don't think he could play worse than Jones did last night. Abdi is a clever player, will keep the ball and look to move forward. Bannan will be better too as Abdi can play the one two that Lee does.

On top of that we need Hooper back and linking the attacks. The reason our game has changed so much is this one touch fast football has stopped. It is not all Carlos fault as Hooper and Lee are big big components to this way of playing, his handling of Abdi is debatable.

To summarise I think this team would be as close to playing like last season as possible.

Westwood

Palmer - It shows how bad Hunt has got that Palmer is ahead of him.

Loovens

Lees

Reach - I think he is better at left back currently.

Wallace

Abdi

Bannan

Fernando

Hooper

Rhodes.

Hunt and Pudil need dropping for weeks until they get their form back. They have been embarrassing the last few weeks. No where near the standard they set themselves last season. Hunt looked feeble last night, absolutely pathetic. Whilst Pudil looks like his legs have gone.

No hutchinson!! Are you mental!!!

the ony way abdi can get in is for bannan and that's not going to happen while carlos is in charge .....we know carlos likes a  holding player just in front of the back 4 and hutch  and jones have that spot stitched up i'd guess if both those two were out he'd stick semedo in there before giving abdi a run .

Due to the mismanagement/shabby treatment of Abdi at SWFC, sadly the player is on course go down as one of the major flop signings of this Championship season.  Which I think is a huge shame.

Personally I would have liked Abdi to have had a start in at least one of the last two fixtures.

But even with Lee and Hutchinson out of the first team picture recently and with Jones' performances hardly making a positive impression, Abdi still can't get a start.  For a £4 million acquisition, that says everything you need to know.

4 minutes ago, Slick. said:

Due to the mismanagement/shabby treatment of Abdi at SWFC,

Shabby treatment by the physio? 

Surely not shabby treatment by Carlos?

Bullen : Carlos, Jesus Christ man! You can't start Abdi,  he's injured. If you play him now and and he agravates it it might finish him. His career could be ruined. He could end up in a wheel chair!

Carlos: I know he's injured and the medical staff have said he's not fit to play but I feel it would be shoddy treatment of him not to start him.

Rhodes: He's only 25% fit and his leg is being held together with some garden twine!

Carlos: He must play! Otherwise people will think there is a conspiracy against him!