Advice

Hi Everyone,

im relatively new on here but asking for some advice please. 

Supported wednesday since birth but as my pearents moved away down south when I was 5 I don't have much local Sheffield knowledge. 

Tragiclly, I lost my wife recently to cancer and although I have a great set of friends etc I decided rather than the two games a year i used to get too, I would come more to watch my wonderful Wednesday as a Hobbie... get out etc etc so I have. Friends not huge football fans or to far for them to go usual stuff.  

Problem is I don't really know anyone up there or where to go now etc - could anyone help me with a pub - bar etc etc where at least I would get a conversation with someone? it's a bit dull not talking to anyone all day and if we play bad seems double awful. 

Sorry it's off football topic but would make my day much more enjoyable - ta 

First of all condolences on losing your wife to cancer. 

If your down south there are the London owls supporter group. They might be a good first port of call. They might be able to put you in touch with some local owls (close to you). Also I'm pretty sure there is also a south West branch.

Like the previous poster said us owls pop up in the most unlikely places.

As for local knowledge around Sheffield, pubs etc I'm sure somebody can probably help more than me on that one. 

Edited by Maddogbob

Sorry to hear about your loss fella. I think making more regular trips to the footy sounds like a great way to get yourself moving and enjoying stuff again. Good on you.

I'll leave pub recommendations to others, as I live near Manchester and tend to drive over for matches so I more or less head straight for the ground. I'm sure plenty of folks on here will have good suggestions for that.

There must be loads of people who enjoy coming to games but for various reasons - living elsewhere, mates supporting other teams etc - usually end up going on their own but would rather chat or sit with some fellow Owls. Perhaps there ought to be a thread or website section for it?

4 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

We have and exiled owls sub forum here on owlstalk, might be with a nosey around there to see if there are any owls in your area there as well.

Ah yes, good shout - I knew as I was typing my reply that I'd seen something of that ilk. Definitely put a shout out in there too, OP.

Let us know how it goes. Worth chucking a comment up somewhere on here before any games you are going to as well, asking if/where folks are congregating - perhaps in the matchday thread, although they only get started at midnight on the day, so fairly short notice (depends how far you're travelling in I guess).

14 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Sorry to hear about your loss fella. I think making more regular trips to the footy sounds like a great way to get yourself moving and enjoying stuff again. Good on you.

I'll leave pub recommendations to others, as I live near Manchester and tend to drive over for matches so I more or less head straight for the ground. I'm sure plenty of folks on here will have good suggestions for that.

There must be loads of people who enjoy coming to games but for various reasons - living elsewhere, mates supporting other teams etc - usually end up going on their own but would rather chat or sit with some fellow Owls. Perhaps there ought to be a thread or website section for it?

A section would be really good - can't be alone in this?

42 minutes ago, Spencerowl said:

Hi Everyone,

im relatively new on here but asking for some advice please. 

Supported wednesday since birth but as my pearents moved away down south when I was 5 I don't have much local Sheffield knowledge. 

Tragiclly, I lost my wife recently to cancer and although I have a great set of friends etc I decided rather than the two games a year i used to get too, I would come more to watch my wonderful Wednesday as a Hobbie... get out etc etc so I have. Friends not huge football fans or to far for them to go usual stuff.  

Problem is I don't really know anyone up there or where to go now etc - could anyone help me with a pub - bar etc etc where at least I would get a conversation with someone? it's a bit dull not talking to anyone all day and if we play bad seems double awful. 

Sorry it's off football topic but would make my day much more enjoyable - ta 

Don't know where you are based, but quite a few of us go up on the train

Mabels Tavern opposite Kings Cross/St Pancras/Euston shows our games and quite a few of our fans attend in a regular basis

London Owls meet on often (think they based around Borehamwood)

A few southerners meet for a pre match lunch in the Hillsborough Hotel on Langsett Road (train then tram)

We tend to use the Garrison, New Barrack or Castle (check google)

Hope this helps

Sorry for you loss 

Just now, Spencerowl said:

A section would be really good - can't be alone in this?

Definitely not mate. Maybe give it a few days, see how this thread pans out, then think about either starting a single dedicated thread that people can search for and contribute week on week, or contacting one of the admins about getting a subsection going. It's an issue I'd love to see us as fans be more proactive about.

3 minutes ago, Southernblues said:

Mabels Tavern opposite Kings Cross/St Pancras/Euston shows our games and quite a few of our fans attend in a regular basis

A few southerners meet for a pre match lunch in the Hillsborough Hotel on Langsett Road (train then tram)

Hope this helps

Sorry for you loss 

Great advice thank you 

Just now, Spencerowl said:

Banbury 

ok  you're luckier than you think I was about to say meet up for a drink in surrey on me 

all the best mate  and to a few that I know on here are going through awful personal family stuff you know who you are 

2 minutes ago, steelowl said:

ok  you're luckier than you think I was about to say meet up for a drink in surrey on me 

all the best mate  and to a few that I know on here are going through awful personal family stuff you know who you are 

Cheers bud 

22 minutes ago, Southernblues said:

Hope this helps

Sorry for you loss 

How do I get in contact with London owls? Probably simple sorry!

Details below Spencer,

We use the Castle more often than not and get in around 13h00, all are full of Owls and are 15 to 20 mins walk to the ground - the Garrison has parking if you are driving up

The Hillsborough Hotel
54-58 Langsett Rd Sheffield S6 2UB

The Garrison

635 Penistone Road, Sheffield S6 2GB

New Barrack

601 Penistone Road, Sheffield S6 2GA

The Castle

111 Dykes Hall Road, Sheffield S6 4GR