Who was the best strike partnership?

not seen the list but best partnership ive seen for us was fantham & layne a powerful  centre forward and quick little finisher ,nearest we've had since was hirst and Williams ...don't think we have anything similar in todays squad . 

4 hours ago, ChinaOwl said:

Hirst and [insert either Atkinson, Williams, Warhurst, Bright].

Any of those really. Willo was good but I reckon Hirst/Atkinson had they stayed together would have been devastating.

Hirst hardly ever partnered Warhurst

6 hours ago, Stainless1983 said:

I think Hooper & Rhodes have the making of a great partnership. Hooper likes to drop short whilst Rhodes plays the line.

I also thought Hooper & Fletcher were striking up a good partnership.

I agree on both counts.

If two from 3 of Hooper, Rhodes and Fletcher play together for the rest of the season I would be full of optimism.

Best Wednesday strike partnerships: 1. Wilson & Spiksley (or Harry Chapman), 2. Trotter (or Mark Hooper) & Rimmer, 3. Dooley & Froggatt, 4. Layne (or Whitham) & Fantham, 5. Hirst & Atkinson (or Williams or Bright).

Most of our best strike partnerships didn't last long it seems. Wilson and Spiksley are my number 1 because of their career goals for Wednesday. Wilson is our all time top scorer, whilst Spiksley was more of a winger he's one of our all time top scorers too in our top 7 just behind Hirst. Wilson and Spiksley only played in the same team for 3 years though. It makes you think how many they would've got if they had played longer together? Also just how many would've Dooley and strike partner Froggatt got if it weren't for Dooley's cruel and unfortunate end to his playing career? Or if Bronco Layne hadn't got involved with the bribery scandal of the early 60's just how many would've he scored along with strike partner Fantham?

The best partnership I've seen in my lifetime for Wednesday was probably Hirst and Atkinson or Hirst and Williams. In the present day Wednesday team, I'm not sure we've got a great partnership among our best 5 strikers in our squad, I'd like to see us adopt a front 3. With Winnall or Hooper and Forestieri either side of Rhodes.

Edited by Milan Missing Marble

Out of the list I would say Quinn and Phillips edge it purely on the basis they played in a lesser team than the others yet still scored consistently.

seeing as they put an International pairing then Lineker / Beardsley and Owen / Heskey deserve a mention.

For us Hirst and Bright 

Edited by elyowl1

Chapman and Bannister/Varadi  were very effective. I would say Lee Chapman was one of most underated English centre forwards there has been, consistent reaching over 15 goals a season in the top flight but not coming close to winning an England cap.

Hirsty and Willo stand out for sheer amount of goals they scored in that one season, but really it was Hirst and A.N. Other. around that time.

I guess those strikers would day that as well as working as a partnership, they also benefited from great wide players creating chances for them ..Brian Marwood, Mark Chamberlain, Nigel Worthington, Danny Wilson ( seriously, he could cross a ball ) .

In terms of best ever partnerships in the top flight Greaves and Smith (or Gilzean) and Rush and Dalglish, must be right up there?

In my lifetime in our top flight the best partnerships I've ever seen have been: 1. Rush and Dalglish; 2. Henry and Bergkamp, 3. Cole and Yorke, 4. Shearer and Ferdinand (or Beardsley), 5. Sharp and Cottee (or Newell).