Problem areas not addressed

Firstly , if the Rhodes deal goes through i,m happy to have a finisher of his quality on the books , CC will however have to tweak how we are currently playing.

Both Rhodes and Winnall thrive on crosses , which will mean we will have to play wingers who ATTACK and stay wide

But my main point is that we have spent a frightening amount on one man when we still look dreadfully short at centre half and right back.

Lets just imagine for a second that Lees picks up a serious injury..............................we are up the proverbial as no more loans are allowed..

34 minutes ago, sheriwozgod said:

Firstly , if the Rhodes deal goes through i,m happy to have a finisher of his quality on the books , CC will however have to tweak how we are currently playing.

Both Rhodes and Winnall thrive on crosses , which will mean we will have to play wingers who ATTACK and stay wide

But my main point is that we have spent a frightening amount on one man when we still look dreadfully short at centre half and right back.

Lets just imagine for a second that Lees picks up a serious injury..............................we are up the proverbial as no more loans are allowed..

And the fact that we've again had to play an unbalanced midfield, with four left footers That's just not acceptable for a club looking to win promotion. We needed another centre back for sure, and definitely a replacement for Keiran Lee It's worrying that all of that was put on hold, while we pursued a player, we really didn't need. Having said that, having Rhodes around, would only add to our goal scoring capabilities, and might make sense, if it results in promotion come May. The fact that we've ignored more pressing concerns though, has put a lot of pressure on Carlos to deliver. Don't even want to contemplate the ramifications, if we haven't been able to get this deal done in time.

I have to agree as I said the same all week and  as we approached the last day and then hours I was absolutely amazed that we haven't strengthened in the areas that needed to imo  and that's the thing clearly CC doesn't think so ( IF he's in charge of targets)

without hutch -suspended, I know   (but it'll happen again we know it will ) we are toothless in midfield and without the cover the defence needs.   Bannan can not run midfield alone he's easy to shut down without  Lee helping

crazy recruiting again imo

6 minutes ago, Animal said:

He have enough quality to play football, it's the tactics that's the problem we have strikers capable of scoring etc.... but playing it in the middle and backwards will not get us those results 

Absolutely this. If Carlos is not to waste one of the best attacking lineups in the division he MUST change the way he plays. 

Rhodes(perhaps)Hooper Forestieri and Winnal will not achieve their potential without quality service from midfield. 

They get little from the wings and with Lee''s absence Bannan alone is left to supply the sort of passes through the centre that will unlock defences.

As for Nuhiu, I believe he has become a liability and no longer seems to be effective as an outlet to hold the ball in the last few minutes.

He is playing like a man who knows he''s on his way out and no longer interested. One goal in a year for a striker is a joke.

Guest RocketOwl

The situation at centre back is laughable, especially after we have spent 10m on a striker you could argue is not needed.

If Lees or Loovens gets an injury, wave goodbye to the playoffs, Sasso really is not good enough. Anyone who thinks he is, clearly also wants Nuhiu starting games.

2 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

The situation at centre back is laughable, especially after we have spent 10m on a striker you could argue is not needed.

If Lees or Loovens gets an injury, wave goodbye to the playoffs, Sasso really is not good enough. Anyone who thinks he is, clearly also wants Nuhiu starting games.

That's why CC kept Semedo as cover, which in itself is worrying.

2 minutes ago, OwlofOliveGrove said:

If we spent the potential we have actually attacking we wouldn't have to concern ourselves quite as much with the defensive options.

Fox/Reach at LB and FF on left wing. Wallace/Macca right wing. Any of Rhodes/Hooper/Winnall/Fletcher up top. Get the ball in the box asap. Done.

CC has shown that he won't commit to playing that formation - which is effectively a front 4, which leaves the midfield unprotected because they're too lightweight. 

He's said that he's instructed Wallace to come infield and cover, which means the wide right is left unused, which then affects our attacking options.

Guest RocketOwl
8 minutes ago, Animis said:

That's why CC kept Semedo as cover, which in itself is worrying.

10m on Rhodes

Circa 5 for Abdi and Jones

15m there we could have signed a centre back with that and still have signed Abdi and Jones.

Our play this season has been ultra conservative. 

Arguably this has put us in a similar position to last season but you can't deny that we are all tiring of this, particularly on the days it doesn't work. 

There are gaping holes in the squad when injury sets in and I am confident these will be addressed in the summer. 

The problem we have until then is tactical and the misuse of players. Nuhiu off the bench is always a move to wind down a game, and on occasion this has worked. On others it has backfired (see last night and Birmingham away). 

Reach has been up and down the left playing anywhere he's told to and fair play to him for doing the job asked of him but it detracts from the job he came here to do. 

Abdi has been a ghost on the edge of the squad never quite looking comfortable in our system. 

Jones is the footballing equivalent of beige and rarely excites or energises the midfield. 

Mcmanaman has looked sharp and dangerous, yet he's limited to cameos. 

The list goes on. 

But it to be fair CC is far from clueless. His CB partnership is solid and consistent. He handled the forestieri situation calmly and privately. He is also the man responsible for the fantastic football we played (most of the time) last season too. we need to trust him to make the right decisions both with the players we have and with the ones we need to bring in BUT my worry is that he won't be given time to do this if we continue playing football that frustrates the fans. 

Surely he sees that the conservative approach leaves you vulnerable if you never put a game beyond your opponents. 

We have the quality in this team to do that but yet we seem to tread carefully and as such have cost ourselves points. Our major downfall will be if we get injuries to key players in positions with inadequate cover but equally we will undo our chances of success if we don't take advantage of the players we have available now. 

2 minutes ago, RocketOwl said:

10m on Rhodes

Circa 5 for Abdi and Jones

15m there we could have signed a centre back with that and still have signed Abdi and Jones.

He clearly thought he had four quality players covering the two centre half positions. Remember he said in the close season Hutch was only likely to play centre half. Effectively he has but as a third centre back/deep centre midfield. He clearly rates Sasso as cover, and will opt for Semedo in a crisis. 

My personal opinion is we did need better, but CC thinks not.

17 minutes ago, smithyswfc said:

He's not really been given a chance to. When he has played he's been played out of position 

We could quote the square pegs round holes all day, yeah he's been played out of position but who hasn't in our squad bar Lees, Loovens?  What I don't understand is that I seem to recall CC asked McGugan to play a certain role and he wouldn't be played out of position and he's a gonner

So why recruit an expensive midfielder if he isn't prepared to adapt and/or you don't intend to ever play him in a system that is built around Bannan and Lee?

1 minute ago, Silkstone Owl said:

We could quote the square pegs round holes all day, yeah he's been played out of position but who hasn't in our squad bar Lees, Loovens?  What I don't understand is that I seem to recall CC asked McGugan to play a certain role and he wouldn't be played out of position and he's a gonner

So why recruit an expensive midfielder if he isn't prepared to adapt and/or you don't intend to ever play him in a system that is built around Bannan and Lee?

When  he's played he's been put on the wing, abdi is not a winger he plays attacking mid behind the strikers so can't really say he's been given a fair chance. Also you can't really expect a player to adapt to be a winger when he's never played there, it was a strange signing by Carlos if he didn't want an attacking mid but if played in the right position he will be a good player for us, the Watford fans were gutted when he left and said he was better than Fernando.

14 minutes ago, smithyswfc said:

When  he's played he's been put on the wing, abdi is not a winger he plays attacking mid behind the strikers so can't really say he's been given a fair chance. Also you can't really expect a player to adapt to be a winger when he's never played there, it was a strange signing by Carlos if he didn't want an attacking mid but if played in the right position he will be a good player for us, the Watford fans were gutted when he left and said he was better than Fernando.

Precisely the issue why fans are starting to question CC's recruitment strategy (if he is 'calling the shots' I might add)

i'll include myself in that group