Forestieri/strikers

Don't understand why Carlos is persisting with him up top.

We currently have 6 strikers (including hirst) and rumoured to be in for Rhodes. But we're playing arguably our best player last season, not in the position he played. For me, it's cuts his game in half being up front. When FF is on it at LM, he's arguably as good as knockaert (or at least close) 

And Reach (yes I know we payed 5m for him to be on the wing) needs to play LB at the mo as Pudil is standing out so much as the weakest link! He's been truly terrible this season. That's not based on tonight as he was playing against the best player in the league for me.

FF left mid. 

Reach LB.

Sort it out Carlos.

The thing that I really like about Reach is his energy however I don't think his creativity is good enough, therefore if he plays for me it has to be at left back. 

Having said that I thought he did play well tonight, and actually let loose with a couple of strikes which we've been crying out for him to do!

I think Reach as a LB is a very good call - What we ask of our fullbacks is a huge demand, and he is likely one of only a few in the squad that can handle it.

Problem is, when you play a player like Forestieri on the wing, that fullback is going to have a very tough time defending alone, then our fans are going to say he is the worst fullback ever!

Agree 100%

He's frustrating because when he's does ping a cross in or have a shot 2/3 times its pretty decent but he rarely does it 1/3 times he has the chance to.

I guess that's for Carlos to manage and bring out of him but whilst he's like he is, like you said, it has to be LB.

If he had started there I don't think Knockaert would've had half of the time or space he had. Still would've probably scored though lol

10 minutes ago, Jay1867 said:

Don't understand why Carlos is persisting with him up top.

We currently have 6 strikers (including hirst) and rumoured to be in for Rhodes. But we're playing arguably our best player last season, not in the position he played. For me, it's cuts his game in half being up front. When FF is on it at LM, he's arguably as good as knockaert (or at least close) 

And Reach (yes I know we payed 5m for him to be on the wing) needs to play LB at the mo as Pudil is standing out so much as the weakest link! He's been truly terrible this season. That's not based on tonight as he was playing against the best player in the league for me.

FF left mid. 

Reach LB.

Sort it out Carlos.

Agree 100%.

I think what has stopped this from happening is the lack of a player who can genuinely play the lone front man (assuming we have an extra man in the middle so as not to stymie Fernandos forward play).

But with Lee out injured.....sod it. Do it in a 4-4-2 if we insist on playing it.  

6 minutes ago, iliveinthenow said:

Reach played well tonight. Our 2nd best player with Bannan.

We dont have 6 strikers though do we. Joao and Nuhiu cannot score.
Winnall got no service tonight to do much with it.

How quick before Winnall falls into the same category as those 2? He'll not score many based on the service he got tonight.

For me we keep signing the wrong kind of striker for the way we play, ff is always going to play so the central striker needs to be able to do a little bit of everything but mainly link play, have a bit of pace, be capable of striking from distance, I know such a player doesn't come cheap but think in the mold of a cameron jerome, connor wickham. kodja, abrahams Instead we just keep buying more and more strikers to solve the problem but all the ones we have are the kind that need to play in a 2 lack pace and need crosses, theres probably only joao who suits the way we play and hes not very good.

2 minutes ago, Greenhgate Owl said:

everyone who watches Wednesday can see Fernando isn't a striker but Carlos.Westwood lumping balls up to Fernando is a waste of time and frustrating.

Fernando on wing and Winnall and Hooper upfront

Even more so against arguably the best CB pairing in the league. 

It was laughable watching Winnall and FF vs Dunk and Duffy. 

Forestieri looks a different player this season to last, sadly.

For me, he plays out wide or not at all. He's not a striker in a two-man forward line, it's clear to everyone, but Carlos seems to be sticking with it.

As much as I respect Carlos, I've no idea why he can't see it, and if he can, why he's sticking with it.

I'd have benched Forestieri after the pen miss and brought on Hooper. Not because of the miss - was a poor pen and poor rebound - but he was rubbish all game.

Can only assume he stays on because he's a match winner - or at least was last season.

Edited by oh_weds_we_love_you

1 minute ago, Jay1867 said:

Even more so against arguably the best CB pairing in the league. 

It was laughable watching Winnall and FF vs Dunk and Duffy. 

was embarrassing.

after the playoff final when Fernando played striker,he should never have played there again.

hopefully Carlos will have seen what impact knockert played in his natural position and do the same with Fernando. Wont hold my breath tho

Your right, Wembley was horrendous.

I actually don't mind it against the lesser teams if it accommodates pushing Reach further up/or maybe playing Macmannaman. Pudil might just about get away with playing against Rotherham/Wigans RM 

But playing FF against Dunk and Duffy and Pudil against Knockaert was criminal! 

(Watch Wigans RM tear Pudil a new one in a couple of weeks) lol

Playing FF as striker is the difference between us being a 6th/8th place side to a 2nd/4th place side. 

We have two two or three better strikers in Hooper, Fletch and (possibly) Winnall, and no-one anywhere near as good as him wide left. Makes my blood boil.

Reach looks more threatening from LB than LW.

Its all so reminiscent of the closing weeks of last season when we lost our shape and goal-threat by having FF play as striker.

To watch him flounder tonight up against their CBs was awful.